Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Martha Stewart American Made Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now HTL

Format: DVDChange

on January 14, 2014
First off I want to give a disclaimer that this is a MOTION COMIC not an animated movie. I keep seeing negative reviews on motion comics from people who expected something different. A motion comic is exactly what it sounds like, think about it like stop motion straight from the comic panels with a little added for transition and voice and sound tracks added. I really like that Marvel does this and hope they keep putting them out. It's a great way to bring your favorite story lines together without losing the art and feel of a comic like animation does.
The story is word for word from the comics, Wolverine volume 3 issues 50-55 the story line called "Evolution". This pretty much picks up right after Wolverine gets all of his memories back and is trying to piece his past together. Sabretooth has always been a large part of that past and this story brings their tension to a climax. Romulus is introduced in this story and I think he has been one of the better secondary villains introduced in the last 10 years. Yes, this is the same Romulus that founded Rome just a little bit of a different story. If you like this and want continue reading the exploits of Wolverine vs. Romulus read the Wolverine: Origins story line. That whole run by Daniel Way builds up to a great ending between the two and I hope that Marvel considers adding those stories to the Marvel Knights motion comics line.
Overall this was a word for word adaption of Jeph Loeb and Simone Bianchi's story. There are plenty of cameos from other Marvel characters like Rouge, Black Panther, Storm, Emma Frost, Cyclops, Wild Child and some of Alpha Flight. The voice actors did a great job, but I do feel they may have gone over the top with Storm. This story is probably best suited for a mature audience and again it is a motion comic.If you want a cartoon go watch Wolverine and the X-Men. Worth the watch for any comic and Wolverine fan.
on April 11, 2014
This storyline between Wolverine & Sabretooth, which I actually followed in its comic book form, is the reason I purchased it as it was the first time a comic book I collected was done in the motion comic form. While I would not sell it or trade it, it marks the first time I felt so-so about a motion comic from Marvel. The voice acting is done well, and the art retains much of it original form, but standing on the fence of this Marvel Knights production left such a dissatisfied taste in my mouth that I honestly considered not purchasing another one from Marvel. For me, the benchmark for Marvel's motion comics are still Iron Man: Extremis and Spider-Woman: Agent of S.W.O.R.D. With as many of these motion comics that I have pre-ordered, while reviews can sway the wind of consideration from yes to no, I think my streak will end until opinions are left about the next one, which again is features Wolverine.
on June 30, 2014
For anyone who doesn't know this is not a cartoon, it's a motion comic. This means it's the artwork from the page cut out and given movement. It doesn't look amazing by any stretch of the word but it's the closet you will get to the comic in terms of "animation".

With that out of the way this one was fun. The voice acting is actually pretty good. Well Wolverine is good, the rest are decent. They reuse some animation a few times too many but the episodic editing sort of explains that. Speaking of editing I wish they would cut out the intro and credits on these DVDs because they're unnecessary.

As for the story it's fun. I was surprised Jeph Leob wrote it. My only complaint is it left a lot of unanswered questions. It is a comic after all though and the special features sported some scenes from the sequel book so one can assume they plan on finishing it. While on the subject the interview with the creators was interesting and gave me a new respect for Leob I never had before.

I can't say how this plays when you've already read the comic as someone who hasn't it was enjoyable. The book and this film are the same price so it's up to you which you'd prefer. Personally I read a lot of comics so sometimes it's nice to "watch" one instead.
VINE VOICEon March 16, 2014
I very much wish that Marvel would do more things like Green Lantern Animated Series rather than crank out these mediocre quality motion comics. If I want comics I'll read the mags. If I want motion I'll watch animated series.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 17, 2014
WARNING! You don't get the whole story on this DVD. Just watched this and I was incredibly disappointed when it just ended abruptly. This DVD only features the first part of a two-part story that Loeb and Bianchi originally did in the comics. And the DVD description doesn't mention that at all. Why Marvel decided not to include the 2nd four-issue miniseries is absolutely bewildering.

In a special feature documentary that is included on this DVD, Loeb even talks about how it was built to be two parts. So, if you are interested in the full tale story, do NOT buy this DVD. Pick up the book that has both parts. You can find it here:
on July 4, 2014
Please, Marvel, please lay off Wolverine for a while. He’s not only in but also the center of nearly all of your motion comics lately. And they’ve not been good. While the animators have out done themselves, they’re getting better and better, the stories have gotten so dull. After THOR and LOKI, nearly all of them center on Logan. The only time that really turned out to be a good thing was HULK vs Wolverine, which was GREAT. I see you have ETERNALS coming, and I look forward to it. Thanks for that. I’d still LOVE to see maybe Peter David’s MADROX mini series that lead to X-FACTOR. Or Greg Rucka’s PUNISHER. Or ANYTHING from Majorie Liu. Her X-23 run would be amazing and hey! Logan is in it!

Also, please lay off Paul Cornell. He’s a strong writer, but these adaptions haven’t made that case. InHumans didn’t work. Logan’s ORIGINS def didn’t work.

How about some more stories like IRON MAN: Extremis? Or the SPIDER-MAN one. That was great. The Whedon X-MEN motion comics were solid.

I LOVE motion comics. Just not this one.
on March 29, 2014
Great story and great art work. I hope they put the other part of the story in a stop motion comic film as well.
on December 11, 2013
Definitely a must buy for those who appreciate motion comics. The artwork was on point and I can't wait for the next.
on July 10, 2014
Exactly the same as in the comic book; however, if you prefer the original look of Sabretooth this will disappoint you.
on August 3, 2014
This movie is another Marvel Knight "comic/stop animation" type film (it's hard to explain unless you have seen it). I'm a huge Wolverine fan and have been for over 20 years. This is another re-imaging origins story for Logan and Victor. The story is fine, "animation" is gorgeous BUT it is only available in DVD. I couldn't find anyplace to rent/watch it, so I bought it. Considering, if I could have got it in Blu-ray for the same price, 4 stars, but since it is the DVD version at this price, 3 stars.