4.0 out of 5 stars Kids game only

4.0 out of 5 stars Kids game only, October 30, 2009
K.hang (st. paul, mn) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Marvel Super Hero Squad - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
Okay I see alot of bad reviews from adults who expect this game to be good, but this is a kids game, and any kid who played this game loves it. I bought it for my 5 year old son and it's one of his favorite game on the Wii. If you're an adult who's buying this game and are expecting a mature story/gameplay, than you should not buy this game, it's made for kids and should only be played by kids. I play this with my son and my only issue is the camera needs work, other than that it's an average kids game

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Kids Game!, November 18, 2009
This review is from: Marvel Super Hero Squad - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
My girls never really were big gamers, but my 2 1/2 year old son has become obsessed with gaming over the past month and a half. It is such a challenge to find games that he loves because he feels he needs to play what "daddy plays". As you can probably guess, him wanting to play mature games just isn't cutting it.

We had tried the typical cute games that were age appropriate for him and he was simply getting bored with them and showing no interest at all. He apparently was wanting something that fast paced and if they could shoot or had a sword then that was all the better.

About two weeks ago I heard about the Wii game, Marvel Super Hero Squad. Let me say that this game has went nonstop in our house for the past two weeks. My two year old loves every second of this game. Ofcouse he is just learning all the Super Hero's names. He already knew the typical: Batman, Spiderman, and Hulk but this has introduced him to a wide range of characters.

His favorite for battles is Magneto. It really isn't a great feeling when a 2 1/2 year old can kick you butt at a game. If you are wondering why he likes Magneto, well it is simply because he shoots and flies. So my son never lands his man on the ground and shoots at me non-stop until my character is defeated.

This is a fantastic, action packed game for any kid. With that being said, this is not a game that my husband would purchase for himself, but our son loves it! My 14 year old daughter did get a little bored with the ds version of this game but the layout is completely different. The Wii version has been a big hit!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good game but you have to read the instructions, October 22, 2009
Derek J. Moore (Indianapolis, IN) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Marvel Super Hero Squad - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
Good game but you have to read the instructions.
While I'm not the biggest fan of the subject matter, the game was a lot of fun and I was able to see past it. The story in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 or 2 was better .. but the game play was a little more fun in this.

The hardest part is learning the controls. Once you learn the basic structure of them, you can figure stuff out.

But you should learn the controls BEFORE you start game play. So practice in Battle mode first. Initially in Training mode of Battle mode, I was horrible. And I would rate myself as a pretty good Super Smash player. A is regular attack, B is ranged/other attack.

Here's the tricky part that I didn't get at first. Tapping forward (the direction you're facing) and hitting A or B does something completely different. Tapping away and hitting A or B does something completely different etc..

Example:
Iron Man
A is Punch
B is Repulsors. Both are pretty weak.
A and Tap Forward is charge/dash attack
A and Tap Backward is uppercut
B and Tap Forward is chest Beam attack... I forget what back does.

There's a combo attack. This part is a little annoying because involves nunchuck or wii-mote movement. And they're different for each character.

Iron Man
A, A, A, Nunchuck move = firing rockets from his chest
B, B, B, Wii-mote move = firing super beam
Other things happen if you do the punch combo and a wii-mote and vice versa.

Some characters require a different combo to activate things.. mainly because their moves take too long I think. This is all in the instructions, it just doesn't give a lot of details.

Thor is A, A, A for the punch combo and B, A, B for the alternate combo (and then wii-mote or nunchuck)
Tap back and B is hammer throw
Tap forward and HOLD B is hammer smash... greats a small explosion.. good for lots of doombots.

Doing nothing is a block, or backing up.

Once you learn the minor things like this... it seems a lot until you get used to it. Then I found it to be more fun than Marvel Alliance because you had to actually used different strategies instead of punch hit upgrade punch hit blast upgrade.

There are other sequences where it has you move the wii-mote to the left, right or whatever to dodge a meteor or something.. those are fine with wii-motion. Using wii-motion in the main game seems a little needless.. but you can get by fine without it.

2 Main issues with the game.
1.) The levels are so looooooong. You can't save in the middle until you beat it. And if you aren't paying attention to your life (getting more life is easy if you pay attention) and are just having fun, you die and go back to the last starting point (not the beginning of the level fortunately) but that can be annoying. This happened... I didn't mind because i find the game to be fun.

2.) The Adventure game has the option of aiming where you're shooting. It doesn't work unless you're trying to shoot a shield generator. I don't know exactly how to get it to just go the way you're facing.. (like it does in battle mode) .. but using C makes you lock onto a character.. and I think punching does something too. I try to keep the remote cursor OFF the screen so it doesn't get in the way because even when you're pointing at the bad guy and shoot your laser, you probably won't hit him. So most of the time this isn't an issue.

At first when I started playing and hadn't figured the stuff out, I somewhat regretted buying it. But after I got the hang of it, I found it rather easy but still fun and still slightly challenging. I like the game play in adventure mode. Your allies actually help you. You can go a lot of places and it's not some giant maze where you backtrack all the time. I'm also impressed/surprised with what a good job they did with diversifying the characters with strengths and weaknesses.

What would make the game better (and I've been looking) would be a complete list of moves per character and how to do them. The battle levels are quite small so it doesn't give you much opportunity to figure them out while an opponent is attacking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun for my 4 years old!, January 9, 2010
This review is from: Marvel Super Hero Squad - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
Bought a Wii for my son for Christmas and this is his favorite game by far. He loves the head to head battle mode. Would definitely buy again!

5.0 out of 5 stars My 3 year old LOVES it! (and so do I!), October 16, 2010
This review is from: Marvel Super Hero Squad - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
This game is actually easy enough for my 3 year old! Thank goodness, since the Super Hero Squad is his favorite ANYTHING right now! In fact, he was unfortunately playing for 4 hours today, along with his dad! They go back and forth between the adventure mode and the battle mode. I have to admit that I've been known to play it as well, alone. =)
The adventure mode can be a little tricky, my 3 year old wouldn't have been able to figure it out on his own, but it has a 2 player option. just make sure to be player 1 when playing with a little one, player 1 has the power of where you go. The battle mode makes him laugh like crazy, since it's just hitting and shooting the other player like crazy! Oh, and some characters can fly, so that adds to the fun! I highly reccomend this game!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not good for little little kids, but a KID game for sure., February 15, 2010
This review is from: Marvel Super Hero Squad - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I bought this game for my 31/2year old who loves super heroes. He doesn't really play video games though and didn't GET it. My 8 year old on the other hand is addicted to this game and unlocking all the locked characters.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, fun for the kids but could be much better, December 12, 2009
This review is from: Marvel Super Hero Squad - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
Read some of the reviews on this game before buying [...], they pretty much nail it. This is a kids game that is a bit too tough for the 6-8 year old crowd. And probably a bit boring for the average >10 year old gamer. The one negative feature that I've read several times and now completely agree with is the camera movement during the Story portion. The camera seemingly acts on its own and changes the point of view in a very disruptive way making it difficult to follow your characters sometimes. I imagine this is even more difficult on a young gamer.

With that said, it is not a complete waste of time. There is a 4 person battle mode (a la Mortal Kombat) where Super Heroes beat up bad guys, bad guys beat bad guys or whatever you want. This can be very fun and each Super Hero has several outfits with different strengths.

In short, this game can't compare with the Lego franchise for young gamers. It does do a great job of introducing these characters to a whole new generation and my kids enjoy it when they finally get it in the console. Unfortunately, it is rarely their first choice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Taking the time to get to know this game REALLY pays off!, April 6, 2010
shaxper (Lakewood, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marvel Super Hero Squad - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
When I first got this game as a birthday present, I was not impressed. It looked like a lackluster merchandising opportunity, and the game seemed unimpressive to say the least. However, my friends and I decided to give the game a chance since we're suckers for any four player game, and I have to say that taking the time to get to know the game truly paid off.

For one thing, the battle controls are far more sophisticated than they may seem. Unlike in Smash Bros, you're not likely to stumble upon many of the more sophisticated moves in this game by pressing a bunch of random buttons. You really need to consult the game manual and read it THOROUGHLY to discover all the combat possibilities.

While it may seem inconvenient and annoying that it's hard to discover all the battle combos on your own, as well as the fact that there are less "special" moves than in a game like Smash Bros, I think this is a strength of the game because it forces one to play with more strategy and precision. Once you and your friends have gotten to know the game, you're not likely to win a battle by mashing random buttons. You really need to know what you're doing, and I personally welcome that change.

Additionally, the characters are far more balanced than they initially seem. At first, the Hulk seems pretty unstoppable, but once you master flying, range targeting, and combo attacks, he's no better than any other character in the game. Each truly has their own strengths, weaknesses, and personal quirks. Falcon and Iron Man are the only two that I can't figure out the benefits to using, but that's probably just me.

By the way, it took my friends and I far too long to realize that you can fight CPU controlled characters by pressing the + button when players are joining for a battle. Sure the screen says this, but it's in small print on a page that people tend to fly past.

Really, the only major drawback to this game is Adventure mode, which is downright obnoxious. The stages are small, uninteresting, and ridiculously repetitive. It may take thirty seconds to reach the end of the level only to discover that you need to keep walking back and forth, unsure of what your objective is, and fighting off swarm after swarm of the exact same A.I.M. agents. I'm impressed that a clearly combat-oriented game tried to go for a full adventure mode, but it fails miserably and is entirely skip-able. Fortunately, YOU DO NOT NEED TO PLAY THE ADVENTURE MODE IN ORDER TO UNLOCK GAME FEATURES. Just playing battle mode over and over will ultimately unlock most or all of the game's characters and settings. My only complaint here is that the game is never clear about what you did (or should do) to unlock these features.

All in all, Marvel Super Hero Squad is an incredibly fun 3-D combat game with up to four players, great, well-balanced characters, and a sophisticated combat system that really requires you to learn and play carefully. The addition of unlockable content continues to make the game more exciting, as well. This is a GREAT value for under $30 and could have easily been a best-selling $49.99 game had the exact same game featured Mario characters. Look past the silly kiddie look of the game and give it a chance to wow you. It's become my favorite game to play as of late, and I nearly sold it after playing it the first two times.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fun for kids, but overall disappointing, November 11, 2010
Solo! (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marvel Super Hero Squad - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I'm not sure what the game's makers were thinking, but they "phoned in" this one. Although the battle arenas are worth playing, the adventure modes are not very good. The camera angles shift randomly meaning you're constantly trying to find out where you're supposed to be turning. If you have a partner, the game loses your partner continuously. They keep popping back up 10 secs. later, but if you're in the middle of a battle, you never know where the 2nd character is. This is maddening!!

3.0 out of 5 stars fun, but with a glitch, November 7, 2011
This review is from: Marvel Super Hero Squad - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I started playing recently and haven't reached too many levels. The inicial purpose of this purchase was to play it together with my daughter, but although she has some fun playing it we haven't been able to make it work for 2 players yet. We are both frustrated because we wanted to play together but the second player is not recognized after we start selecting the adventure mode.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›