TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 6, 2012
Color Name: BlackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Marware Revolve is a very nice case, even without the graceful spinning. The material is high quality, not too bulky, and it doesn't block important ports (if it does, you put it on backwards). The Kindle is easy to install or remove.

The ability to spin the case, allowing the Kindle to sit at different angles, is hard to explain, so I made a short video. It is my first and I apologize if it is on the amateur side. What I am trying to show is that it is easy to change the angle and orientation. Once set, it is very sturdy, so swiping or typing does not make it wobble.

Music courtesy of Army Navy. Hands courtesy of me.
4040 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon November 21, 2012
Color Name: BlackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have 3 covers and this is by far my favorite. It was hard to get the Kindle in the plastic holder at first but then I got it in and it will hold even if I throw it across the room,not that I would. In the land scape position there are three notches to get just the right angle for you. You can also rotate it, so it stands up in the portrait position.
Things to keep in mind. You want to make sure the plastic holder is rotated in the right position before you put the Kindle in. You want to make sure the opening for the speakers line up but that also, the USB port for charging is going to be on the outside so you can close the case when you are charging. I didn't have it lined up correctly and at first I though it was a design flaw, until I realized I could rotate the holder all the way around.
It is a nice soft leather, with an elastic band to hold the case closed. These features make it the best one I've seen yet, very sturdy and versatile and nice looking.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Color Name: BlackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Fire 8.9 fits snugly into this well-made case, and the construction has a quality feel. The leather seems very nice as well. It rotates so the stand feature works with the Kindle in either portrait or landscape mode. I like the feature that the Kindle turns on when you open the cover and off when you close it, because I find the power button on the new Kindles to be awkward, and this feature makes it unnecessary.

Unlike my similar Marware case for my 7" Fire HD, this one rotates 180 degrees, so the problem with some apps being upside down doesn't happen with the larger Fire and case. Nice change!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon November 26, 2012
Color Name: BlackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Marware Revolve case has it all, a fine-grained, padded leather case, a hand strap, a rotating stand with 3 viewing angles in both portrait & landscape mode, a sleep/wake function, an elastic strap closure and the Fire can be charged when the case is closed. And, it has an elastic band to hold the case closed.

I didn't think I'd like or need the sleep/wake function but found out that I love this feature. The Fire HD snaps securely into a hard plastic enclosure. I'd rather secure my Fire in a leather pouch, but Marware's hard plastic enclosure has proven to be more secure than I imagined. I love using the hand strap when I hold my smaller Kindle Fire HD, but the larger, 8.9" Fire, is a slightly more cumbersome for me to hold using the hand strap so I rarely use it.

Marware listened to customer complaints about its previous case for Kindle Fire HD. Marware improved this case. You can rotate the 8.9" Fire 180 degrees to access the ports which allows you to charge the Fire when the case is closed. This feature works great. The sleep/wake function also works in this position. Rotate the Fire back to its original position when it's charged to protect the ports.

5 Stars
Great case, with great features & several color selections.

UPDATE:
I was walking around with the case folded back, my Fire HD in landscape position & the Fire fell forward. I'm not sure how to describe this, but it looked & felt as though the Fire was free falling out of the case & was within a fraction of an inch from hitting the counter -- But it was still attached to the case by the plastic frame and the piece that allows the Fire to rotate. Thankfully it missed the counter. This has happened to me on more than one occasion and has also happened when other family members have been using my Fire. I hope that Marware can address this problem in future cases. In the mean time, I've attached a piece of Velcro to the case & the piece that rotates. (A photo has been uploaded showing my solution. In comments below, I mentioned that I had to secure the Velcro with carpet tape)

Another solution would be to hold the case in portrait position if there's a chance that the freefall/flopping issue might cause a problem. The freefall issue doesn't happen when the case is folded back & used in portrait position. Also, when the case is used in an angled position, you won't experience this problem.

I removed 2 stars because of this
review image
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 50 REVIEWERon November 24, 2012
Color Name: BlackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Overall, this is a fine case for the 8.9 inch Fire HD. The overall quality is quite nice - I have other Marware products for my Kindle Touch, and it's good to see that they are continuing to maintain a strong focus on product quality. All the materials feel nice; the stitching is tight and even; there's ample cushioning for tablet protection while maintaining a slim profile; and the elastic strap holds the cover closed in a secure fashion.

I also like how Marware packages their products with a minimum of packaging waste but still ensures the product can travel through the mail without being dinged up. The package is also easy to open - no fuss, no muss.

I initially had some difficulty getting the Fire into the case. The Fire is held in place using a plastic cradle, but it seemed to be too small. I had to (gasp!) resort to reading the user guide that came with it, and found out I needed to position it in a certain way and then snap it in. When it is properly inserted you'll hear and feel a clear "snap" at each of the four corners of the tablet. When properly installed the case holds the tablet very securely. I shook it vigorously (over a thick cushion in case it failed) and the Fire stayed put.

My main quibble is with the rotation feature. I was really looking forward to this since some apps only run in portrait mode; others only in landscape. While the rotation feature works, it is very stiff - you really have to twist hard to get it to rotate. It's a two-handed operation: one hand to rotate the tablet; the other to hold the case while you're turning.

The bottom of the cradle has a tab that fits into a slot on the base of the cover to prop up the tablet. This works in both landscape and portrait modes. There are three tabs so you can adjust the angle.

There are cut outs for the power and HDMI ports. I had no problems accessing any of the ports, power button or volume controls while it was in the cover.

Since I often end up having to charge the Fire while it is in use, I rotated the screen so the power plug is at the top. That allows me to keep the tablet propped up on my desk in landscape mode for video watching, but still use the power cord.

It also offers an auto on/off ability - the Fire turns off when you close the cover, and wakes up when you open the cover. It's a nice feature and it works well.

It has a slot on the cover so you can fit your hand into it for ease of holding it. That has value, but what I would have preferred to have instead (or in addition to) is a pocket on either the inside or the outside to hold items such as a cleaning cloth. This is not a huge problem, but I'll certainly miss that since the case for my original Fire has a outside pouch that is great for holding a cleaning cloth and a small stylus.

I'm going to give this 5 stars, but 4.5 is more accurate given the reluctance of the rotation feature. But, since it does everything else very well, looks good, and feels nice, it's closer to a 5 rating than a 4.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 22, 2012
Color Name: PinkVerified Purchase
Well, I have to say I am pretty disappointed in this cover. I used a coupon for it so I don't want to return it and pay even more for a different case. $55? For a CASE? Jeez. So my first problem with this case....the price. The leather quality is good, but it's simply not worth that. Unfortunately with a new product you are limited on cases for a while.

Biggest problem: the viewing angles. Even at the widest angle, I find it barely tolerable to watch movies, or anything really, on the Fire. My biggest use for a standing case is on an airplane or at a table, where the screen is fairly close to my body. I wish the case tilted more to give a better angle. It is ok in portrait view, but in landscape? Forget about it. I have a case on my Motorola Xoom that allows a much better viewing angle and it much more comfortable to watch things on.

Second problem: It's thick. VERY thick, and heavy. It nearly doubles the weight of the Fire. Yes, it does seem like it will protect very well, but the cover is just a little too padded for me. I feel like I have a giant first-gen device in my bag instead of a svelte new Kindle Fire HD.

Third problem: The ports/the magnet for auto screen off. When in the default position, the ports to charge it are covered up but the case so it must be open to charge. "But WAIT!" you are thinking. "Read the other reviews!" you are saying. "The case turns around! The holster turns 180 degrees!" Yes, it does turn around so you can access the ports, and that's awesome. But there is a HUGE, HUGE problem (gaping hole, Marware!) The magnets in the case are only oriented to work for auto on/off when the Fire is turned in the default "correct" position! So I have to constantly turn my Fire around and around, or choose what is more important....charging or auto on/off.

Marware, I did not pay $55 for this case with the expectation of it being anything other than perfect. Such a gaping hole in something so simple (adding magnets to two positions so auto on/off works all the time) is a huge oversight. The poor viewing angle is a part of the design, and so is the weight of the cover. It's obviously not the right one for me. But is there anything better? The Amazon case is a bit strange and doesn't sit up well for viewing. The Otterbox case is insanely expensive and heavy. The Marware MicroShell is nice and thin, but only has one viewing angle and no auto/on off. The Belkin and Crown cases have an ugly bezel cover. The only one with any potential is the Marware Vibe. I may order that one to try it out, but then I will be disappointed to lose the revolving feature.

Too bad, Marware. An expensive case that still doesn't hit the mark. I'm disappointed I wasted a coupon on this.
on December 14, 2012
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I read alot, sitting, lying on the couch, in bed before I sleep.... When you fold the cover all the way back it is held closed by the elastic strap and you have the large elastric strap for your hand to hold the device as if it was book - just like the original I used for the 7" fire - However the issue is the 8.9 device is not secure on one side. and suddenly falls forward as you change position, or turn over. I just missed having it crack on the night stand. It is as if the manufacturer designed it so the hinge that attaches the device is opposite your thumb and your thumb should hold the unhinged side of the device against the cover - previous verstion the smaller of the elastic straps does this.Even if this is the design who would want to use it since when you turn over you would have to rotate the device in order to be able to secure it with your other thumb and one slip lets the device fly freely supported just by hinge. So if you like to read your kindle at times other than when at a desk and epecially at night before going so sleep then design does not work well.
on November 20, 2012
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
Was looking for a nice case for my Kindle Fire 8.9 HD and decided on this one. Reasoning? Function. I'm still not excited about the price tag I paid when it was first available, but as it always is with new tablets and accessories, the prices start high and drop later.

I got the case and quickly installed the Kindle into it. Played with it a little in terms of spinning from landscape to portrait, and all seems good. Another person said when its installed the plugs are inside, but thats not true on mine. I guess it depends on how you install it? Mine is, when opened like a book, the camera on the inside by the "spine". Perhaps I did it wrong? dont know, I'll find out later

Nice that it turns the kindle from sleep/active by opening case, and has 3 nice preset locations for the case to dig into to stand in either method. Wasnt sure before I purchased how secure it would be in the case but it seems good -- you slide into one side, and then it clips in tight on the opposite, so it doesnt have a way to fall out easily. Was pretty snug in there when I decided to install a different way.

Seems like a good option so far, and is nice in black.
on November 22, 2012
Color Name: BlackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I like this case quite a bit and find it to be of high quality and good design for the most part. The Kindle Fire HD fits VERY tightly into the plastic holder on the case, so you don't have to worry about it falling out. It was, in fact, fairly difficult to get the final corner to click in place, but that is okay, as I know that it will be secure. The tri-fold design allows you to stand the Kindle on end or in landscape. The plastic housing has a protrusion that slides into grooves on the third panel of the case when standing the Kindle in landscape. This is very nice and allows you to have three different viewing angles.

When folded over to hold the Kindle vertically, the case has a large, sturdy, strap to place your hand in to hold the device. This is especially useful, as the Kindle Fire HD 8.9" is moderately heavy. This is more useful than it sounds, so you will want to try it when you get the case... you will be pleased.

You can rotate the Kindle 360 degrees so it can be in horizontal orientation with the ports on top for charging. I originally thought that this was impossible, as the rotation was very stiff and I didn't want to break the case. It turns out that the case just needed to be broken in a bit and now it is PERFECTION!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

FOR FULL DISCLOSURE, HERE IS MY ORIGINAL PROBLEM WITH THE CASE:

The only complaint I have is the lack of a cutout for the power adapter to be placed at the top of the device. Including a cutout at the top would have allowed the Kindle to be inserted into the case with the USB and HDMI ports facing up, allowing you to charge the Kindle or have it connected to an external display while standing horizontally if the Kindle was put in with the ports up. As it stands, you cannot have the power plugged in and have the Kindle standing horizontally at the same time.

Beyond that concern, this is an excellent case and is highly recommended.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 28, 2012
Color Name: OrangeVerified Purchase
This is a great case. The case allows you to rotate the kindle 180 degrees. You can view it in landscape, rotate 90 degrees to portrait, and 90 degrees again to "upside-down" landscape. You cannot view the device in "upside-down" portrait, nor can you turn the device in 360 degree circles. Once you've rotated to "upside-down" landscape, you have to spin it back the way it came to get back to the un-rotated position. I think the "stiffness" required to rotate the device is just right. Any stiffer and it would be hard to rotate, but looser would cause the device to flop around in the case. The cutouts for the Fire speakers allow sound to play the way it is supposed to.

One concern I have is whether the torque used to rotate the kindle in place will cause the leather to tear over time. This remains to be seen, so is not a negative at this point.

The reason I gave this device less than five stars is because it doesn't have the perfect viewing angle for me. The three notches for positioning the tablet seem to be somewhere around 60, 70, and 80 degrees from the table or lap that the case is resting on. I would have preferred a design that allowed the device to "lay down" closer to a 45 or 30 degree angle. I have seen this design on certain iPad cases but none yet for the Kindle Fire HD 8.9.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations