5.0 out of 5 stars The "bible" for dehydrating foods.
If you have a food dehydrator collecting dust somewhere, get this book and haul it out!
Published on September 24, 2002 by Wendy A. B. Whipple

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what i expected at all
I ordered this book alongside my dehydrator thinking it was going to contain detailed information and recipes on how to use my dehydrator to season and create dehydrated food. That's where I was wrong. This book is misleading, it doesn't give you recipes on how or what seasoning while doing the actual dehydrating. It gives you recipes and explains how to cook using things...
Published on January 2, 2011 by sosl0w

5.0 out of 5 stars The "bible" for dehydrating foods., September 24, 2002
This review is from: Mary Bell's Complete Dehydrator Cookbook (Hardcover)
This is the best basic book I've seen for preserving foods through dehydration. Not only does she tell you what you need to do *before* you dry it, but she tells you what you can do with the stuff after it's dried. Recipes that are useable, recipes for camping, and some that will surprise you - this is a very comprehensive book.
This is a must-have for backpackers who want every ounce to count, since dried foods weigh so little. A must for parents who read the "Fruit Roll-ups" label in horror: make your own fruit leathers! She'll tell you how to make fantastic beef jerky, too.
If you dry foods, you need this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd pay three times this amount for this book, September 29, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Mary Bell's Complete Dehydrator Cookbook (Hardcover)
I've had my dehydrator for 5 years and thought I'd dried everything in every conceivable way but Mary Bell has some fantastic ideas. Easy read and easier recipes. Especially liked the section on backpacker food. My dehydrator has been running 24hrs/day since I got this book. Thank you, Mary Bell, for this great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strongly recommended for those considering a dehydrator, September 8, 2002
V. Goenka (Foster City, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mary Bell's Complete Dehydrator Cookbook (Hardcover)
I bought this after I bought my dehydrator, although I would have bought a better dehydrator if I had read this before. This book gives several great reasons why you should consider a dehydrator, and how to make the most of it. I could have never imagined making a tofu cracker, for instance!!
After I read it almost entirely in one night, I find it a great reference to go back to, whenever I'm considering dehydrating something new. I couldn't compare this with other titles on dehydrating food since I haven't read them, but I'm quite satisfied with this one. Addition of dehydrated pictures would be a great addition however.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-written, valuable food drying resource!, April 2, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Mary Bell's Complete Dehydrator Cookbook (Hardcover)
Mary Bell's years of experience dehydrating food really shows up in this comprehensive book. The book is interesting reading as well as practical. Mary tells you how to dry the different kinds of foods then continues the discussion with recipes and other ways to use your dried produce.
I had been hoping to find out how to dry dairy products such as cheddar cheese and eggs. I will say I was disappointed to find out that there is not much you can do at home to dry dairy products. I tried drying Cheddar cheese shreds, anyway. Seemed like a good idea at the time. What a mistake! I was peeling that greesy, clumpy stuff from my trays for 45 minutes. Thank goodness I only 'tested' 2 trays worth!! I guess if Mary says "Don't do it", from now on I won't.
There are many, many items which will dry successfully and just as many variations which you can try out. This book leads you through the process and offers helpful tips and hints along the way. I feel I received very good value for the modest price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for learning how to dehydrate food, July 18, 1998
This review is from: Mary Bell's Complete Dehydrator Cookbook (Hardcover)
THIS BOOK IS WONDERFUL!! I had been trying to find a book like this for a couple of years. Mary Bell gives you step by step directions on how to prepare foods for drying.....Not only whole foods, cooked as well. I love the pudding cookies!!! I believe in preparing as much of our food as we can because it is better for our health and well being. Thank you for the step by step book, I have fallen in love with this type of food preserving!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dont bother with other books!, February 18, 2009
This review is from: Mary Bell's Complete Dehydrator Cookbook (Hardcover)
I bought another book at the same time for less money and honestly I can't find where I put it as I haven't even touched it. I had lots of questions about what would I do if I bought my dehydrator. I mean jerky is awesome but I was looking at a pretty expensive dehydrator and I wanted to know that it would be worth my hard earned moolah. This book convinced me that the dehydrator would pay for itself and gave me exact information I was looking for. It also had great bonuses I hadn't thought about, but find invaluable-like the percentage of water in almost every conceivable fruit and vegetable commonly available. Also I too liked the backpacker chapter. Of course the chapter on fruit leathers is constantly refrenced for the the sake of my four kids. She has some novel ideas that I would have never thought of on my own. My edition was hard back and will stand much wear and tear. Do yourself a favor and get this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Be-all/ End-all of Dehydrator Cookbooks!, June 5, 2007
This review is from: Mary Bell's Complete Dehydrator Cookbook (Hardcover)
I have been drying foods and making jerky for over 30 years; but now, after reading May Bell's cookbook, I consider myself a rank amateur around my food dryer. What a wonderful insight into the possibilities that I did not know existed.

I have several books on the subject, but this is truly the bible for those wishing to save energy, cost and space by replacing a lot of what they normally use their canners and freezers for with the versitile dryer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great beginning text for a new dehydrator user., January 11, 1998
This review is from: Mary Bell's Complete Dehydrator Cookbook (Hardcover)
Mary Bell's book is an excellent reference for the dehydrator user. She includes information for dehydrating fruits, vegetables, meats, and even herbs and flowers. The recipe section tells you how to put it all together and includes recipes for main dish treats, sweet treats, backpacking treats, and even pet treats.

4.0 out of 5 stars my book report, January 3, 2007
This review is from: Mary Bell's Complete Dehydrator Cookbook (Hardcover)
The only reason that this doesn't get 5 stars is, its not all that it seems. I've got several books on dehyrating. Some of them 15 years old or so. Dehydrators and the art of dehydration has come a long way since then, but found with some products, like winter squash, it hasn't changed - regardless of what modern books says.

Still, Mary Bell's enthusiasm make this a great book to read. She covers many more food types than the old books, along with offering more diverse recipes.

Personally, as I live in the desert South West, I'd like more information on solar dehydration rather than relying on machines and electricity.

But from her advice, successfully made some raisins from a lot of so so grapes that I'd bought - something I'd never have tried otherwise.

So if you're a beginner or advance dehydrator, she's got LOTS of information in here that might give you 1 or 100 new ideas on what, how, and why you should consider dehydration as a primary way of preserving your foods.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great dehyrator book, February 12, 2006
This review is from: Mary Bell's Complete Dehydrator Cookbook (Hardcover)
Reviewer "dunnd1" commented that this book does not cover jerky. He is incorrect. I learned to make jerky with this book; it contains some wonderful jerky recipes.

Mary Bell's Complete Dehydrator Cookbook
Mary Bell's Complete Dehydrator Cookbook by Mary T. Bell (Hardcover - May 23, 1994)
$22.99 $15.66