Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on January 8, 2011
My daughter has always been interested in the Disney fairy tale books when we go to the book store. I, however, am not impressed with Disney's fairy tale storybooks, as plots are often butchered and the writing is not very engaging. This book by Mary Engelbreit is both visually appealing and the plots are engaging. Some versions of the fairy tales even have a different twist at the end. We have been reading one story out of this book every night for the past week. My daughter loves them and, amazingly, my son does too!
on April 27, 2011
My 2 and 4 year olds loved the Mary Engelbreit Nursery Tales collection so much that we ordered this one, too, and love it almost as much.

The text of the stories is wonderfully written. Charming language in a complete yet compact telling of each fairy tale. These are short enough to keep the attention of the youngest listener, but have not been overly simplified. They are fun to read and re-read.

The illustrations are full of whimsy and detail. Illustrations appear on every page and each tale has a full-page illustration at the beginning and at the climax. The pictures support the text and make it easy for even non-readers to follow along during read alouds.

We love everything about this book except the omission of 3 billy goat's gruff. We'll just have to keep telling that one orally for now, I guess.
on January 6, 2011
This is clearly one of the best books for toddlers that I've seen for the classic fairy tales. It arrived quickly and in great condition. Would definitely recommend for any parent with daughters that are between 2 and 6 years old. It might be nice for older kids, but mine are much younger.
on November 7, 2010
Mary Engelbreit continues to delight us with her very special attention to color and detail. My grandaughter's who visited recently found the new books Grandma had placed " in obviously to be noticed places " chose both the Fairy Tales and Nursery Tales for their bedtime stories! I surely miss having the monthly magazine come to my mailbox and give me a boost for the day, for the month, until the next one came along! You know I can't throw anything away that Mary Elgelbreit ever created! We wish her well and much continued success in producing whatever she can!
on August 29, 2011
I am a major fan of ME's artwork, and this is a lovely book. My granddaughter has been enjoying it very much. I do not have a problem with different versions of fairy tales. The point is that they are fun stories! You can always read the older versions, too. I find the variety a lot of fun!
on December 11, 2011
After checking this book out from the library time after time for my daughter I finally decided to buy it for her for Christmas. She spends hours looking at the beautiful illustrations and I a enjoy reading and retreading these classic tales to her.
on December 10, 2011
I was looking for an age-appropriate fairy tale book for my 4 year old, and this fits the bill. She LOVES it! The stories cover the basics of the fairy tales without putting in anything too bizare or scary, and they are short enough to read a few at bedtime without staying up all night. We have read it over and over again already, and she is showing no signs of wanting to stop. I liked it enough to get the Nursery Tales for Christmas, so we'll see how that goes over.
VINE VOICEon January 24, 2014
One of my kindergarten students brought her copy of this book to school for me to read to the class. I noticed that the stories are only 3 to 4 pages long and would be perfect for my first grade granddaughter to read by herself. So I ordered it as a Christmas present and it was a hit! She read the whole book within days of receiving it. Each story is about a princess and that captivates my granddaughter. Most fairytale books are made for adults to read to children, but this one is easily read by the child. Also, this is a good one to read to children as young as 3 or 4.
on March 12, 2011
All Mary Engelbreit books are worth owning because of the beautiful pictures! My grandchidren want me to read and reread this book. We spend a lot of time looking at all the detail in the picutres.
on March 24, 2016
Fairy Tales: Twelve Timeless Treasures by Mary Engelbreit is just delightful. I read these to my 2 and 4 year old daughters during story time after lunch, and they love the illustrations just as much as I do. Everyday, they wanted to see what the following day's story would be and to discuss which characters they could see on the front and back covers. I'm really in love with these illustrations, and loved the "just right" length of each story as well as the details included in it. When my kids grow older, this book will be a keeper.

FYI, this is a large hardcover book, on the order of the big Richard Scarry books.