5.0 out of 5 stars VALUING THE SCRIPTURES
This was a great story . I read this to my kids years ago and it helped them realize how much the Bible should be cherished.
Published on January 6, 2007 by Dennis C. Scheifele

2.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring story but poorly written
Published 19 months ago by Kim Christain

5.0 out of 5 stars VALUING THE SCRIPTURES, January 6, 2007
Dennis C. Scheifele "OldDen" (Whitehouse Station, New Jersey United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mary Jones and her Bible (Classic Stories) (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great when on-topic, but oh the rabbit trails...., September 13, 2009
This review is from: Mary Jones and her Bible (Classic Stories) (Paperback)
When the book stays focused on Mary, it is very inspiring, and a wonderful example is presented of treasuring God's Word. However, there is a tendency to drift off-topic down rabbit trails. There are several other characters that Mary encounters, like a schoolteacher, or the man she gets her Bible from, that the book will veer off after and give their entire life history, and it often detracts from the main story.

I read this to my 8 and 6-year-old children, and they liked it well enough. It provided a good opportunity to discuss again how blessed we are to have God's Word easily available and to remind them that, even today, that's not true for many people in other parts of the world. I'll read this book again in the future with them and with my other children as they grow older, but it's not as good as I hoped it would be.

2.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring story but poorly written, January 8, 2013
This review is from: Mary Jones and her Bible (Classic Stories) (Paperback)
I read this to my 11yo son and 13yo daughter as part of the SonLight Curriculum. The story is inspiring, no doubt, and educates the reader on the value of the Bible. In our Bible saturated society we are too flippant in that lesson. Since my kids are not extra-ordinary like Mary (rather ordinary) and content to sit through a 2 hour sermon, they had a hard time empathizing with her. As stated in a previous review, the author tends to lose the reader with rabbit trails that feel endless and meaningless about other characters. I hope a more imaginatve author takes this inpiring true story and weaves it into a fictional historical novel thereby spreading the word about Mary, the need to value God's word and proving that christains CAN write good books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, June 1, 2009
Karen Eppler (Kearney, Missouri) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mary Jones and her Bible (Classic Stories) (Paperback)
The story of Mary Jones and her love for God's Word produces thankfulness for having the Bible so available in all who read it. It will be one that the reader will never forget and will influence her all her life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story!, April 21, 2014
Bruce Konya (No. Ridgeville, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mary Jones and her Bible (Classic Stories) (Paperback)
I liked this story so I shared it with a group of children in our children. I believe it helped them understand how precious the Word of God is and how lucky we are to have it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is definitively in my top 5 books., November 24, 2013
M. Jones (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mary Jones and her Bible (Classic Stories) (Paperback)
This is definitively in my top 5 books. Makes you think twice about the value of the Bibles you have around the house.

5.0 out of 5 stars HIGHLY RECOMMEND, August 22, 2013
This review is from: Mary Jones and her Bible (Classic Stories) (Paperback)
Typical paperback book quality, but the story contents are AWESOME. Nice addition of occasional pictures. Recommended age range: 5th grade+ for individual reading. But my preschoolers enjoy listening to me read aloud the chapters during our nap routine. Some of the city/town names are difficult to pronounce (since they are from a different country), but otherwise an easy read. HIGHLY RECOMMEND this book. WONDERFUL addition of missions reading to children and adults alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Historical Account, January 12, 2013
This review is from: Mary Jones and her Bible (Classic Stories) (Paperback)
This book has made a profound impact on my life and has been an inspiration to our entire household. I began reading it aloud to my 9 year old daughter, and I was moved to research this extraordinary tale. This is the classic account of events that led to the formation of the British and Foreign Bible Society (now Bible Society) in 1804. It paints a picture of the life and times of Mary Jones and her burning desire to read and know the Word of God. Her inspiring story has been reprinted many times, but was originally written by Mary E. Ropes in 1882. This is a humbling story that needs to be told. May there be a revival in our day to treasure the Ancient, Living Word of God.

Mary Jones and her Bible (Classic Stories)
Mary Jones and her Bible (Classic Stories) by Mary E. Ropes (Paperback - September 21, 2004)
$8.99 $8.09