Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Mary of Nazareth
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

on July 25, 2003
I received this movie as a birthday gift, and couldn't wait to watch it. However, it wasn't nearly as good as I thought it would be.
My biggest complaint was Mary herself. In the beginning, she is chatty and gossipy with her friends and flirty with Joseph. Later on, she follows her son Jesus through his ministry but spends most of her time just looking at Him. They barely have any conversations at all!
I'd still recommend seeing it, though, as there WERE a few scenes that were very well done. The visitation was beautiful, and the agony in the garden was perfect. And when Jesus is carrying His Cross and Mary is following--well, it makes you want to cry.
This is an okay movie overall, but Jesus of Nazareth is much better!
VINE VOICEon January 8, 2014
I was a little put off very early on when Mary high-fives a passerby. But the film is clearly intended to be respectful and true to the Gospels. The first half has many gorgeous outdoor scenes. The actors are all quite good, though John the Baptist seemed a bit off, until he got angry. The story is necessarily compressed, so you may be disappointed at what is cut. For me, truncating the Lord's Prayer seemed wrong, especially since the presentation of what was quoted was moving.

The latter half of the film may disappoint. The nature of what is being portrayed requires a higher budget than they were working with to present as well as the first part of the film. Some of the interior scenes had odd, unnatural lighting. Still, for the age of the film, the visuals hold up very well. Those involved clearly meant well, and what they produced is a fitting and inspirational depiction of the life of the Mother of Our Lord.
on May 14, 2005
A 1996 French film.
This film is not highly dramatic as a motion picture, but this story of mary is told in a fast pace style. Events go by so quickly you hardly have time to absorb them as a story. Not a great deal was spent on special effects except for a stage light bulb. Whenever the angel Gabriel is represented, this film depicts it as a bright light shining upon Mary, Joseph or the Three Wise Men and with a woman's voice.
You won't get too much historical accuratcy here in this film. So much was not covered. There is no story of why Joseph and mary had to find a manger (the inns were full due to harvest time), the star of Bethlehem is never discussed, the hiding of Joseph and mary with Jesus is not dramatized and neither is the Census (the counting of the people).
Although this film was quoted by Terry Meeuwsen of the "700 Club" as "unique" and "will touch your heart", there are some scenes of blood and violence that should not be viewed by children.
How Jesus met each of his disciples and many of his miracles are not shown in this film.
The Last Supper setting is probably more accurate than any other film.
Myriam Muller portrays "Mary" (The Mother of Jesus), Francis Lalanne portrays "Joseph" (the Father of Jesus), Didier Bienaime portrays "Jesus", Pierre Lacan portrays "Judas" (the betrayer), Myriam Mezieres portrays "Mary de Magdala", Thierry Maillot portrays "John The Baptist" (Jesus' cousin).
French actor, Didier Bienaime who played "Jesus", died from a heart attack at the age of 43 on August 7, 2004.

For a highly dramatic and emotional telling of the life of Jesus, more in-depth and the most accurate and accepted film version, I recommend the NBC-tv miniseries, Jesus of Nazareth (1977) with Robert Powell as "Jesus" and with an all-star cast. "Jesus of Nazareth (1977) is available from Amazon.com on VHS and DVD.
Yes. After Mary Magdalene, Mary and Salome discovered Jesus' tomb empty, Jesus was Resurrected (late Saturday afternoon) and during those 40 days visited his disciples. Then he ascended up in the clouds to be with his Father. Jesus promised that he will return (The Second Coming). Some believe it will be 2000 years after his death (this would reach to the 7000 years). Could Jesus return April 6, 2029, April 7, 2030 or April 25, 2031?
We are not allowed to know the exact date. Jesus will return (with angels) to Earth to judge and reign over all nations in the Kingdom of God will be visible.
on June 8, 2014
I bought this as a gift for my mother. She went to see the new one at the cinema and the ladies found it to pretty graphic for the older sensibilities. This version hit just right and the whole family enjoyed it on Mother's Day!
on October 7, 2002
This movie is sort of backwards. It spends about half the time talking about the events leading up to Nativity, and the other half on what happened after the nativity. I mean, I understand that this is supposed to be about Mary, but, still...
Also, it seems to fail to capture what must have been the real feelings of Mary. If you watch the movie Jesus of Nazareth (with Robert Powell)--now I think that Olivia Hussey does a much better job of portraying Mary.
My other complaints were:
(a) Hollywood always does have to throw in that "woman in labor" business, doesn't it? It's just annoying. Plus, it has been said in the Bible that Mary did not have labor pains during the birth of Jesus.
(b) The cruxifiction moved along so quickly that you could hardly tell it existed--I mean, come on! This is the main point, isn't it, after all?
But, the things I did really like were:
(a) The actress who played Mary looked like she really could have been Mary's age.
(b) It showed how John the Apostle began to take care of Mary after Jesus's death.
on October 19, 2009
For a second class movie, this one on Mary is pretty good. There are very few Movies around that tells us a good and true story on what happen to Mary the Mother of Our Lord
on January 21, 2009
This is a wonderful movie and it gives us a good perspective on what life for Mary might have been like.
on January 4, 2015
This is my favorite movie depicting Jesus’ life. I type this as I wipe away tears with a kleenex. I have been a Christian (Catholic) my whole life. I have watched many movies about Jesus’ life and have been going to Church every Sunday for over 20 years. I was crying with a trueness that I wasn’t expecting at all because every word Jesus said hit me like a ton of bricks. I got hit by the words I heard because real people are saying them in situations I can see myself in! I saw all the familiar truth I’ve been taught, but from a new angle: the viewpoint of Mary. And this is hands down the most powerful and shocking way for me to see it as a child of God living 2015 years after. I felt like the Jesus actor was talking to me! I was right to feel that, because the real Jesus is! This movie is like you’re reading the Bible with the added beautiful cultural and visual parts which make the experience so human. I want you to see this, and if your life changes like mine just did, don’t thank me, but please thank the Holy Spirit who was working and inspiring to create this film. I now feel an urgency coming from me that I want to go out and do God’s Will, the will of Jesus like he told me in the movie. May God bless the people involved in this movie: this beautiful work!
on December 25, 2014
Mary Of Nazareth is a feature length film that tells the story of Mary from the Annunciation when an angel told her that she will become the mother of the Lord until the resurrection of her son Jesus.

The movie still manages to be enjoyable and entertaining despite the fact that Myriam Muller does not provide the best portrayal of the Blessed Virgin.Also,the pacing in some important parts were somewhat done quickly particularly the passion,death and resurrection of Jesus.But in spite of it,it also has its great moments such as the visitation of Mary to her cousin Elizabeth,when Jesus got lost in the temple when he was only twelve, and when Mary was following Jesus while carrying his cross.Overall,it would still be decent film about the Blessed Virgin.
on March 7, 2005
Very little is mentioned of Mary in the Gospels, so obviously much about the life of Mary has to come from reflections on the Gospels.

The movie is carefully directed not to stray too far from the Gospel account. There are still some inaccuracies, Mary is shown in the opening scene as a teenager walking down a road greeting people with a 'high five', 'good morning...' and 'Hi...'. These are not Jewish greetings of the first century.

Secondly, Mary is shown by the Lord's side throughout His public ministry. In the Gospels Mary is mentioned only twice during the public ministry of our Lord, at Cana and at Calvary. So obviously much of the scenes are the imagination of the director. Though none of the scenes contradict the teaching of the Gospels (theologically). Some of the scenes are very meaningful and touching and provokes reflection on the important Gospel events in the life of Jesus and Mary (and Joseph), and the relationship between them.

And lastly why does Jesus have to have blonde hair. Palestinian men are not blondes, they have black hair. Jesus was not an Anglo-American.

The movie is good and worth watching. One would profit much by reflecting on the life of Mary as a Mother and a disciple of Jesus from the Gospel account. Indeed, 'all generations will call her blessed.'