Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on July 13, 2008
This is a true story. I was in a bookstore looking in the "Antique Price
Guide" section when I came across THIS book! Now whether it was MISHELVED,
MISPLACED or someone had stashed it there.. to come back later and buy..
I WAS SOOO GLAD IT WAS THERE! I spent the next few hours (!!) reading
this one-of-a kind gem! I never met anyone quite like this author. BUT
I sure would like to! She takes you on a journey to another place and time
..and shows you how THEN could be NOW. She entrances with her down home
wisdom and bit's of her life story. I really NEVER felt the time
go by.( Perhaps it was a "out of body" experience? If so I want to go back!!)This book made me enchanted and giddy. It made me yearn to go horseback riding again. In short it made me want to rediscover myself.
Now I would have stayed there longer reading it, but alas they had to close! READ THIS WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL BOOK!
33 comments| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 2, 2008
MaryJane graciously opens the door to her life once again in this book. She takes us to her childhood, her early adult years, being a single mom and to the present. She shows how her own experiences in the wild have shaped her character and even that of her daughter and now grand daughter as well. Her beautiful photos are inspiring, her instructions easy to follow, and her crafts graceful and practical at the same time. You might want to buy two of these books- one to stay pristine in the house (coffee table material perhaps?) and one to get grubby "in the field" with you and any littles who might be around. This is one field guide that you won't want to leave behind!
on June 29, 2008
I had the great good fortune to get a preview copy of MaryJane's Outpost. I loved it so much I immediately ordered two more copies as birthday presents. MaryJane makes living in a tent look divine. In fact, I am trying to find a tent like the ones featured in the book so I can set up my own outpost. And know I want one of those retro campers.

I loved the recipes for trail mixes....perfect for snacking anytime, on the trail or on the interstate.

Just plain fun, go on and unleash your inner wild. I can't wait to try out more of the tips and ideas.
on December 21, 2008
I've read Mary Jane's magazines and other books and couldn't wait for this one to come out. When I cracked it open, I was not disappointed. She takes us on a wonderful journey on how to create our own little nest in the wild. Among the many things, you'll learn how to:

* Create your own furnishings from natural findings (saplings and such)
* Search for and use wild greens and eatery
* Make tasty foods for family and children

As always, Mary Jane's books are a feast for the eyes and will leave you longing to create your own wild habitat, be it pseudo tent or shanty.

A must add to your collection!
on July 2, 2008
Oh my..this may be my favorite of MaryJane's books yet..and I love them all. Just the most fun, informative and beautiful ideas! I love that it has so many ideas for enjoying the outdoors with my kids and for making my own backyard a outdoor "fun zone". The recipes, ideas and projects are just wonderful...can't wait to try them all!!
I am SO glad I got this book right away...LOVE IT!!!!
on August 29, 2009
I was raised with the forest service.And know of what Ms.Butters speaks.This book will keep your wild side alive.Not to mention inspire you to go out and do something,anything.Some of her instruction seemed a little vaig.But you can look past that for the most part.The web-sites she recomends are good and helpful.Just a nice book to have around and something to keep that tomboy in you alive and kicken.
Thanks Mary Jane for the reminder.....
on October 16, 2012
MaryJane's Outpost, by MaryJane Butters is a true delight! This is one of the books I will keep on my end table in the family room. It helped me understand I was not alone during a "I have to get out of this house" phase. The style of this book is soothing to my spirit.
I am a caregiver for my mom who has Alzheimer's. I can not go away for a vacation or a retreat. I decided one day to sleep under the sky that night. I grabbed my quilt, a beverage, a book, and settled in my comfy outdoor chair. It was wonderful. Maryjane's book helped me feel validated in seeking my outdoor solace.
There are ideas, notes, and wonderful illustrations for repurposing everyday items to make your little corner of the outdoors more fun!
on October 5, 2009
I just love this book! I already subscribe to Mary Jane's magazine, so I thought I knew what to expect with this book, but was still surprised by how much I enjoy just looking through it.

Maryjane's Outpost sits on my coffee table because I think it is great to pick up and look through for the pictures, but I am actually looking forward to trying some of the recipes in it as well. My mom was over this past weekend and she looked through it for hours as well. She liked the camping section and was inspired to seek a camper for herself and is also looking forward to trying a couple of the recipes from the book for popcorn goodness.

If you are a fan of Mary Jane's Farm, you will enjoy this book. It inspired me to look for a claw foot tub of my own for some outside soaking. See what dreams it brings your way. . .
on January 24, 2016
Fun info but I am finding MaryJane's books and magazine to be very repetitive. If you get the Magazine you usually will find that whenever there is a new book it is a repeat of magazine articles. I love the ideas and concepts but I am getting very tired of hearing how MaryJane got her start. I realize that some things are written for new readers but everything I pick up from her seems to have to use that same info like someone is trying to fill in to make up enough content to publish.. Would love to hear new ideas and new information. I think the potential is there. This book is nice and if your new to MaryJane;s books you will enjoy it.
on March 18, 2009
I received this book from Amazon and haven't been able to put it down since. I love it! I've gotten so many great ideas from it. Even my fiance` has looked at it and liked it. I would recommend this book to anyone who would like to be more self sufficient, would like to do some nice old fashioned things for themselves and around their home, might like to do a little travel trailering, etc. It's got a wealth of information in it. Thank you Mary Jane!