5.0 out of 5 stars The best game in the series, despite what other say!
Published 20 months ago by Jeremiah Westly

2.0 out of 5 stars Just getting it off my chest
Like many, I was anticipating Mass Effect 3 with ants in my pants. I bought this because I loved the music from ME and ME2, and had not been disappointed in anything Mass Effect before.

Wow. Was I disappointed.

Published 21 months ago by Larania Drake

5.0 out of 5 stars The best game in the series, despite what other say!, February 5, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 Collector's Edition - PC (DVD-ROM)
I have played through all the games several times (due to losing the save file from previous games and then replaying to import my progress). That said, I'm not someone who replays the game to see every different possible ending. I have my Shepard story. There are many like it but this one is mine. I have very clear memories of all my choices, and maybe people that played every variant of every game lose a bit of that in the long run. With each iteration of Mass Effect they have experimented, kept the good, and left behind the aspects that players didn't like from the earlier games.

99% of the negative reviews center around 2 minutes of the game. And if you don't play through every ending, you won't even realize you were supposed to be disappointed. I got the collector's edition, and sat down and played straight through the game. When I finished it, I didn't even realize people didn't like the ending until I got online.

Here's the bottom line though.

The entire game was completely amazing from beginning to (arguably) the last 2 minutes of cut-scenes. Whether you like or don't like the cutscenes, this game was the ultimate Mass Effect game. As I was playing through it, my excitement was just constantly rising. It had more "crowning moments of awesome" than the rest of the series combined. It had more heart breaking moments, more touching moments, just more emotion, than the rest of the series combined.

People say they didn't like the ending, but you have to consider that the entirety of ME3 was the climax. The -entire- game was resolutions to choices you had made throughout the series. Things happen in this game that you set into motion in ME1. There is so much input from the previous games that I think a lot of people have missed that there are more differences than they realize (characters live or die based on stuff you did in previous games, and choices in this one). People have gotten so caught up in the "perfect ending" that they have lost sight of the scope of the story being told.

Mass Effect 3 is one of my top 3 favorite games of all time.

I also really love the multiplayer. They really nailed combat and character customization in this game, and the multiplayer shows it. Sometimes in the previous games combat could feel clunky, but in ME3, it's just downright fun. There are other shooters our there that aren't half as well done as ME3's multiplayer.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just getting it off my chest, February 1, 2013

Wow. Was I disappointed.

The swag that comes with the N7 Collector's edition was... okay? I had never bought one before, and I had heard the second game's Collector's edition was good.

The main problem was that Javik should have been part of the vanilla game, and the music download was actually a hell of a lot more of a headache than it should have been. I had to download it twice.

The game play itself is one of the game's strengths. It's fast, fun, and frenetic. There are more customization options available than in the second game, but not as many as the first. On the plus side, that customization is much more streamlined than the first, but not the same as the second.

Then I shall get to the part that everyone talks about. The story.

There are some breathtakingly awesome chapters within the game. You have some great conclusions to running storylines, and your choices in those parts have meaning and payoff.

That is, of course, until you get to the ending.

The entire story is very disjointed; you have the theme of beat the Reapers, but the best parts of the game are only distantly related to this. This isn't in itself a bad thing, as it means you can ignore the deus ex machina that ends the game. Simply put, there are enough plot holes to drive a truck through, and so much Fridge Logic that you wind up bouncing back and forth in confusion.

Simply put, the N7 edition really ain't worth it. The game itself, buy it used or wait until there is a game of the year edition. I wish I had waited until the reviews had come out.

This game broke my heart, not in a beautiful or artistic way. More that it was like a favorite author decided to drop LSD at the last minute. Which just sucked.

3.0 out of 5 stars A fun game marred by Always-on DRM, July 11, 2012
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 Collector's Edition - PC (DVD-ROM)
Along with Diablo 3, this final entry in the Mass Effect series was one of my most anticipated games of the year. The game itself doesn't disappoint.
I've played the game twice as both a Vanguard and an Engineer. There's nothing more fun than using a Vanguard's Biotic Charge. Or using a Cryo combo to shatter some hapless Cerberus troops. The mini-games have more of impact on the main quest this time, and they aren't as tedious as mining planets in Mass Effect 2. There are no vehicular missions, which might disappoint those who enjoyed driving the Mako in Mass Effect.

One of this series greatest strengths has been its incredibly strong writing. I was disappointed when former lead writer Drew Karpyshyn announced that he was leaving Bioware. But the characters are as well-written as ever, and it has an epic scope and many memorable moments that make it more fun than most big budget movies. Overall the voice acting is excellent. Mark Meers and Jennifer Hale are both outstanding as the male and female Commander Shepard. Brandon Keener (Garrus) and Ali Hillis (Liara) also deserve a mention. It's their terrific voice acting that is part of what makes these characters so memorable and so loved.

I was disappointed to hear that composer Jack Wall would not be returning to write the music for Mass Effect 3. However, Clint Mansell and the other composers do an provide a very different musical approach to the Mass Effect 3 universe. The game does reuse music from the first two games, but I found it pleasantly nostalgic rather than annoying.

Now onto the negatives. The most frustrating issue with the game are the Citadel quests. They've done away with the incredibly annoying fetch quests from the first game. These quests are automatically activated regardless of whether you've spoken to the NPC quest giver or not. And your journal isn't updated when you've found the object they're looking for, which doesn't make any sense to me at all.

The most controversial aspect of Mass Effect 3 was its ending. It felt incredibly rushed, and there seemed to be plenty of gaping plot holes. Fortunately, the Extended Cut DLC (1,9GB in size) addresses most of these issues. I still think that whether you like the ending depends on whether can accept the creative direction the writers have taken the story in. I'm not used to any computer game being this emphatic when it comes to the fate of its leading character. Especially one that many players have invested so much time and effort in, and identify with so deeply. It shows that how a story ends is just as important as how it begins. I personally prefer Drew Karpyshyn's rumored original ending, because I thought it was more in keeping with the tone and creative direction of the first two games. But in the end, Bioware are have the creative right to steer it in whatever direction they see fit - even if I don't agree with it.

The biggest negative aspect of Mass Effect 3 is the always-on internet connection DRM. Surely only the multiplayer game needed an always-on internet connection? I use a wireless network, and when there's a dropout for even a fraction of a second it makes the single-player game completely unplayable. Game publishers will argue that DRM is necessary to protect their profits. I would argue that the type of DRM they're implementing is more inconvenient to paying customers than the software pirates. If EA Bioware continues to implement this kind of DRM, I personally will not going buy their games in future.

In summary, I'd give the single-player game four stars (minus one star for the ending). And minus one-star for the always-on DRM requirement. I'd strongly recommend NOT buying this game if you have a flaky internet connection - otherwise you'll have wasted your money on a totally unplayeable game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic. Emotional. Unforgettable game!, December 27, 2013
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 Collector's Edition - PC (DVD-ROM)
This game is the most amazing thing I ever discovered. I fell in love with every mission, character, location in the game and could hardly get away from it, but then I got to the ending and my blind love faded away... Could be worse, but still it was heart- squeezing gameplay. I find it really emotional game- not just shooting to alien things. If not the ending, project could be a lot more succesful, I suppose.

2.0 out of 5 stars So Sad and Disappointed, March 9, 2012
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 Collector's Edition - PC (DVD-ROM)
This is my first $100 "investment" in a game (pre-ordered both collector's edition game and game guide) and it will be the last. This is my first play though, about 30 hours of game play, (have stayed late and even missed a few classes.) Had war readiness of 2900, paragon in all 3 games, saved the council, appointed Anderson as the human councilor, saved everyone (except Kaiden), recruited every member, destroyed the collector's base, romanced Ashley in ME 1, romanced Miranda in ME 2, and here's my thought on ME 3.

(Please excuse my English if it didn't make any sense. English isn't my native language. I usually don't write reviews on games; however, I am a HUGE FAN of previous mass effect games, especially ME 2, and I just can not bear the huge disappointment, so I want to share my thoughts.) (I even made Youtube videos using ME 1 and 2 footage.)

***SPOILER INCLUDED***
The things/moments that I liked:
1. New powers
2. Melee
3. New weapons with upgrades
(Pretty much everything that was new, I liked)
4. Better graphics
5. Funny dialects between crew mates
6. Loved how Jack "greeted" Shepard when they met
7. Smiled when ran into a couple of crew mates having "their moments."
8. More movie like cut scenes (relatively)

New maps of Citadel, new looks of places that already visited in previous games and new looks of some characters didn't bother me. I was more interested to see how the story would progress and end.

The things/moments that made me sad and disappointed:
1. Relatively less dialogue choices. Unlike ME 1 and 2, there were more automated cut scenes than scenes that led by choices... What I mean to say here is that there were less appearance of the dialogue wheel with less choices comparing to the previous games. I guess it is reasonable to have less dialogue choices because after seeing the endings and since it is the last game, whatever choices you make in ME 3 are not going to matter.

2. ME 2 CHARACTERS ARE COMPLETELY NOT PLAYABLE (except ME 1 characters: Garrus and Tali. There was no way to recruit other ME 2 characters.) I don't understand. Why did the developers spent all that time to make those characters for ME 2 when they weren't even available to be played in the next sequel? I thought at least 2 of them could be recruited. (I was sooo ready to recruit Miranda and Jack ...)

3. I remember there were talks about rewarding if stayed loyal to ME 1 romance and facing consequences if cheated. Well, what was exactly the "consequence?" Since ME 2 characters are not playable, it's so obvious how it would go with the ME 2 romance (pretty much nothing in my opinion.) I thought the "consequence" meant conflicts. I guess the "reward" means a little bit more of sweet talks? (No reward.) I was more interested to see how the relationship would go with ME 2 characters. What's the point of spending all that effort building a relationship in ME 2 when it wasn't even recognized much in ME 3.

4. Choices that made in ME 1 and 2 did not matter much in ME 3. I felt like playing a new game, and not a sequel. I used paragon options to convinced quarians to make peace with geth to prepare for the reapers. Quarians went war with Geth and I wonder what was the point to persuade them to make peace. According to the guide, you'll get the same endings regardless what choices you made for the collector base. Udina was the councilor in ME 3. Why?

5. I HATED ALL THREE ENDINGS!!!! They were so sad and depressing. They made me to regret playing mass effect games, and not to mention the endings were pretty much the same regardless what decision I made. I feel ashamed of spending all that time to create various save files to see different results. At least in ME 1 and ME 2, there were options to see happy and sad endings based on different decisions. According to the guide, Shepard can live in two endings based on the readiness points, but nothing is significantly different. (Yes, the endings are based on some war asset points.)

6. War Asset: Players collect war asset points throughout the game, but why in the world multi-player campaign affects the war asset in the single player mode? If you never played multi-player, you will start the game with 50% of war asset, and with 50%, I believe the max points you can get would be 3500 to 3600 points which won't give you the "Shepard catching a breath" scene. You need to (or must) play multi-player to raise the persentage to increase the readinees points; however,the war asset percentage depreciates with time. Let's say you have 100% when you exit the game, and when you come back next day, the value will be 3% to 5% less... do you see what I see here?

7. Predictable: The game is starting to be very predictable with other save files because of all the limitations and similar endings. In my opinion the story is ONE-DIMENSIONAL.

I played ME 1 and 2 multiple times and loved the experience because of the possible endings that filled with hope and courage. THAT IS WHAT I CALL A REWARD - A reward through the ending resulted from positive decisions. Anyways, to a HUGE ME fan, ME 3 is a disappointment!

--------------------- (update: 6/8/12)
It's been 3 months since the game launched, and many things have happened in the ME community. One of the events would be many fans have voiced against the ending, but it's not just about the ending. The game was short. I felt like it abruptly ended in the middle of gameplay. The story was poorly designed. I was amazed by ME 2 when the player could earn squad mates' loyalties and able to use their strength/skills (tali/legion for tech, miranda/jacob/garrus for leadership, jack/samara for bio, etc.) in the suicide mission to save everyone. It seemed like the purpose of collecting all the war asset through single and multi player was just to see the "shepard catching a breath" scene because it was only one that was extra and different. The romance part has given me a big question mark as well. I played it one more time with a loyal love liara save file. I don't understand why liara acted like the almost 3 years of relationship was not that important. (Had it been her personality?) When first talking to liara in normandy, she asked shepard if he/she wanted to continue the relationship because it's been years. (Years?) Well, she asked it when they were in the shadow broker's base 6 month ago. Did something happened b/t them while shepard was grounded? Or was it a bug? For few times, liara mentioned or referred to shepard as her friend (one was when she brought the time-capsule thing and other was when they met in Citadel talking about when liara was a kid.) I don't know if this is the Asari way of referring to his/her love, but I felt distanced. Shepard had to push liara to continue the relationship when they were in the citadel. I have explored the in-disk contents, especially audio files, and found so many things were not in the game.

Personally, I liked multi-player mode...for a while. If it weren't about the two free multi-player DLC packs, I would have quitted the game 1.5 month ago. It was fun when there were new things to try out and new challenges. When you beat Gold level for a few dozen times, it will get boring. I do appreciate that they changed codes for banshee and phantom, so it's more challenging. Now they kill quicker which leaves a little chance for the player to survive, and they are everywhere. Banshee can jump onto stairs, walk though walls, and grab infiltrators even though they are cloaked. The heavy-weights (atlas, banshee, prime) do not come as pairs as often as before the update which makes it a little bit more unpredictable. The only reason that I would go back to ME 3 is the multi-player. Too bad, multi-player outshines the single-player which was what ME had been known for.

There will be more DLC packs, but don't know how many. I won't recommend the game when it's priced for $80 or $60. Wait till it's halved with all the DLC packs are included.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bioware, please quit dumbing down games., March 13, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Pro's-

- Cut scenes look amazing.

- Combat is great.

- Story ( Until the end ) is good.

Con's -

- Launching probes to discover credits, ships, weapons, etc. To be honest it just seems REALLY lazy that they stripped the vehicles out ( No Mako or Hammerhead ) and don't include explorable planets as they did in the original installment. We will see if they add a vehicle as they did with the Firewalker pack in ME2. It would be nice if it wasn't an afterthought.

- Heavy weapons stripped from the game ( Except for a few token heavy weapons you may come across in certain situations. Can't equip on the loadout screen ) One of the best parts of ME2 was the heavy weapons ( Especially the Blackstorm )

- Short ( Compared to other Mass Effect games ) Took me 45 hours to complete ( Including the DLC "From Ashes" ) By comparison I spent over double that on the original and on ME2 ( Not even including DLC )

- The devs were talking about adding space combat to Mass Effect 3 when it was in development but it wasn't in the game. Worked well in Halo Reach and I was looking forward to it.

- Ending was.... confusing. No real closure and no idea what happened to my crew / the universe. Apparently I'm not the only one that was disappointed.

- Mass Effect 1 & 2 were much more content heavy. No real random events when entering a solar system ( IE derelict ships, distress calls, the teetering ship in ME2, etc. )

I feel that Mass Effect received the Dragon Age 2 treatment. I played the original Dragon Age for 141 hours and Dragon Age 2 for 41 hours. It really seems these games are being shipped out now much lighter on content with a focus on EA/Bioware making money off of IOS games, DLC, etc. Really unfortunate that such a great game ended like this.

Shepard really deserved a better conclusion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game still play it to this day, February 13, 2014
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 Collector's Edition - PC (DVD-ROM)
This game is fantastic, if you have followed the story from the first one til now you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the end..., August 22, 2013
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 Collector's Edition - PC (DVD-ROM)
Most of you playing this game are not old enough to remember that song from the days of radio, but the next line is: 'my only friend, the end...', and it does feel like a friend has left the room when you finish this game. Will there be a fourth chapter of Mass Effect? Who knows. Even if not, this was a worthy way to finish the career of Cmdr. Shepherd.

There have been multiple YouTube posts where people complained about the way the game ended. Truly, you can't please all the people all of the time. I had a few burning questions as well, but when you consider the adrenaline rush, roller coaster ride that was the path to the end, the amazing graphics, great characters, and excellent (for the most part) writing and planning, this installment did not disappoint.

If, and this is a big 'if', you transfer your character from ME1 and ME2 into ME3, the experience is SO MUCH RICHER. If you don't, it's a pale shade of what it could have been, but still playable. As with any port from a console game, there are issues, but this chapter was relatively free of them.

The crowning glory of this game, however, is the addition of the online battles, where you can build your own character and play co-op with three others against progressively more difficult enemies. Loads of fun. This edition also has some cool extras; if you're a collector of memorabilia, it is worth the extra coin to have them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Collectors Edition, June 28, 2013
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 Collector's Edition - PC (DVD-ROM)
About the only value of this is Maybe down the road you can say you got the Collectors Edition.

Game itself isn't as good as the first two, the last 10min of the ending is awful. Doesn't stick with lore from its origins (ME1)

Other than that, a good ride.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, June 27, 2013
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 Collector's Edition - PC (DVD-ROM)
I love this game and as with ME2 I also played through Insanity difficulty with every class. My multiplayer experience was disappointing without a method of inviting friends directly into my game. Other than that, great game.

Mass Effect 3 Collector's Edition - PC
Mass Effect 3 Collector's Edition - PC by Electronic Arts (Windows Vista / XP)
$94.97