4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Space Epic
I've heard of this game from awhile back and I didn't think much of it until I had a sudden urge to expand out of the FPS genre for no good reason. This game is the perfect remedy as it has the action of a shooter and the customizability and the free roaming formula of a RPG and a heck of a story to go with it.

Pros:
-Great storytelling and very in-depth...
Published on April 26, 2011 by Isaac

1.0 out of 5 stars Good luck getting it to install.
Good luck getting capable help from Electronic Arts with your install.

Good luck finding and installing the DLC content for this game - because you'll get an error 404 when you try to access it from Origin.

Why don't you just mail money to EA and expect nothing? Because nothing is probably what you're going to get.

Zero our of a million...
Published 2 months ago by J. Kunkel Beidermeyer

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Space Epic, April 26, 2011
This review is from: Mass Effect (DVD-ROM)

Pros:
-Great storytelling and very in-depth. Each alien race has its own unique characteristics and history, including humans and how each race intertwine with one another is intriguing. It is very easy to get immersed into this universe.
-Superb writing. The story is dramatic when it needs to be, and humorous when it wants to be, and the game convey these emotions very well. Instead of just reading and choosing text options, most everything is voiced, and that is an impressive feat considering the quality of the voice cast and all the dialogue options available.
-Great blend of RPG and shooting. Abilites, weapons, and armor is fully customizable according to the class, and this customizability gives you an edge against certain enemies and sometimes putting you at a disadvantage against other enemies. This can be offset by the teammates you pick. The dialogue wheel is superb. Choosing to let someone live or die, or to be friendly or hostile is a blast and has the potential for many different combination of how NPCs interact to the player which goes into my next point.
-The decisions you make will transfer to Mass Effect 2&3. While the transfer from ME1 to ME2 isn't significant (but still cool to see cameos), I bet it has a significantly bigger consequence in ME3.
-Great price! It's was only $10-$15 when I bought it and I believe it is still in that price range.

Cons:
-Occasional crash and a few bugs. This is probably the biggest nuisance, but with the 1.02 patch, the crashes either dropped significantly (my personal experience) or stopped entirely (according to a friend).
-The action itself is decent, but not incredible. Weapons don't have quite the "bang" or "oomph" as some other shooters. The cover mechanics is not very well polished.
-Sometimes hard to keep track of which galaxies you have explored, leading you to backtrack to places you've already been, but don't need to be in.
-Leveling up through side missions can be a grind. This is specifically referring to the infamous Mako, a six wheeler you drive around planets. While I don't think it handles quite as bad as everyone says, it is certainly not refined, and it can be a pain to climb incredibly steep hills with it.
-Interiors are cut and paste and repetitive. During side missions, building complexes essentially have 2-3 templates: a normal 2 story building and 2 underground facility templates. Over a dozen side quests, these buildings will be exactly the same, with some crates, pillars, and miscellaneous objects arranged differently.

Note: I've heard a lot of people complain about the DRM. In fact, I was a little hesitant about purchasing the game because of it. I personally did not have any problems with it and especially with the 1.02 patch, it's even less of an issue. I am told the the game can be installed only 3 times, period. With the 1.02 patch, it allows you to install the game 5 times (that means it can be installed on 5 computers at a time), and each time you uninstall the game, you get an install back. Unlimited installs like the good old days is ideal, but considering I only play it on one computer and didn't run into the problem myself, I cannot count against it, only to make a note of it.

Overall, I've been pretty even between the (5) pros and (5) cons, but let me be clear. The pros far outweigh the cons, and even more so with the 1.02 patch. I am being very picky here, and that is because I have spent a lot of time on this game and enjoyed it very much. For a story driven, immersive, action oriented game, you can't go wrong with Mass Effect. This is one of my favorite games, even among other top of the line shooters, as many of those tend to skimp on the story and short single player.

4.0 out of 5 stars A few glitches, but otherwise incredible., February 19, 2010
AdmiralCheez (Wisconsin, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mass Effect (DVD-ROM)
My friends had been ranting about this game for a long time before I finally tried it out myself. I have to say that I was very, very impressed. Mass Effect isn't new (the sequel's been out for over a month, I think), but it is still worth playing. If you enjoy sci-fi, RPGS, or shooting aliens, this game is for you.

PROS: Incredible story in a massive universe. Superior voice-acting and genuinely lovable characters. Game experience is very engaging--combat is fairly smooth, and non-combat situations are still interesting. Player can customize character, team members, and even the story itself. Ties into the sequel perfectly.

CONS: A few minor glitches here and there--player can get stuck or frozen sometimes and will have to restart from the last save. Some parts are dull or repetitive. Controls take some getting used to, and non-linear plot can be confusing.

All in all, a great game with a few minor quirks and high replay value. I recommend it to anyone with a PC that meets the system requirements. Of course, you may not like it as much as I did. Also, please remember this game is rated "M," and therefore definitely not for kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game, June 19, 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mass Effect (DVD-ROM)
I really like this type of game for the way you can change the story line by your actions and conversations. I was surprised to find the combat was awesome as well. In addition to traditional weapons, you also have the choice to get "biotic" abilities, similar to the force from Star Wars. The graphics are great to and the universe you find yourself in is almost more interesting than the story itself. The only problem I had with this game is that I wish it were longer. I would highly recommend this game to anyone who enjoyed the Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic games.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good luck getting it to install., May 31, 2014
This review is from: Mass Effect (DVD-ROM)
Good luck getting capable help from Electronic Arts with your install.

Zero our of a million stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Role Playing Game, July 19, 2008
This review is from: Mass Effect (DVD-ROM)
I normally do not review games, but this one was so good. My husband and I have been playing computer games for years. We each have our own pc and play games at the same time. The storyline was great but there was still plenty of action, visual effects were super, had a good beginning, middle and wonderful ending. You felt like you were leaving good friends behind when the games ended. Hopefully BioWare will continue to make such outstanding games.

5.0 out of 5 stars possible pirated copies by vendor-harleys international shipped from UK, January 25, 2012
This review is from: Mass Effect (DVD-ROM)
i bought this game from, harleys international shipped from UK. The delivery time and product came extremely fast :D. but i cannot play the game unless i register the product. i am unable to register the product. the reason being is, according to EA, the product key is not a legitimate product key. so i cannot use this product at all. also the game didnt ask for a product key when installing. here is where the problem occurs. i cannot play the game on win7 unless i update it to v1.2 or something like that, now i can only download the update if i register my product, i also cant get any of the expansions EA has made for the game unless i register so in term i cannot play and EA says the serial key isn't legit. so my assumption/educated guess is that this vendor is possibly selling pirated copies. i say this because during the install it didnt ask for the product key, which is what allot of pirated mods will do so you dont hafto register your product. i have played the game before, i love this game why else would i go and purchase the game. i have contacted the seller and i am still awaiting reply...

4.0 out of 5 stars You create this story with your choices and actions, August 15, 2014
This review is from: Mass Effect (DVD-ROM)
Mass Effect is the entry most RPG (role-playing game) of all the entries in the game trilogy, with much broader character customization than the second and third entries. There is an enormous galaxy to explore, including the ability to land on some planets and just drive around and explore. There are so many different ways to play this game that you can find new things to explore, new conversations to have, and different enemies to fight depending on your choices during the game itself.

At times it can be a little slow, but that's an issue with nearly all RPGs. However, the story that this game sets up is amazing, and the science, while of course being fictional, is still believable and stays pretty consistent throughout the series.

As this game is nearly six years old, it should run great on any current computer. Just be sure to save your Save games to import them into the subsequent games. Having a full history of your characters exploits through all three games really gives you a sense that you have made this story.

2.0 out of 5 stars "Embrace Eternity" (at EAbioware's Discretion), August 26, 2012
H. Le (Crestline, CA USA) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mass Effect (DVD-ROM)
Having survived the terrible experience of Mass Effect 3's horrible ending - which, BTW, has been improved from horrible to underwhelming with the Extended Cut DLC - I decided to play ME1 again just to immerse in the fantastic Mass Effect phenomenon at least once more. Moreover, I want to prove to myself that ME3's ending, as disappointing as it is, cannot mar the eternal beauty of ME1 (and to a lesser effect, also ME2) - And I am happy to report that I was not disappointed.

To begin with, it is crucial to establish that ME1 is unique in the series because it is a RPG with shooter element, whereas ME2 and ME3 are shooters with RPG elements. The most important and simple distinction is this: In ME1, regardless of how well your aiming skill is, your weapons' accuracy is, by and large, dependent on the XP you invested in a particular weapon. On the other hand, in ME2 and 3, your aiming skill (along with reaction speed) determines your accuracy. In this regard, to me, ME1 is the best in the series as a RPG; with ME3 being the best as a shooter(in spite of its disappointing ending; and ME2 somewhere in between (for the overall games in disregard of the genres, I'd rate ME1 being the best game overall, followed by ME2, then ME3).

Also, ME1 leans heavily toward exploration. Granted, this is the least developed aspects of the game, especially in regard to driving around the planets in the M35 Mako infantry assault vehicle or running around the Citadel doing side quests, which can be uneventful for the most part - if not downright boring. On the other hand, running or driving around afford you some spectacular views such as the Earth rise from the moon or awe-inspiring vista from the Citadel docking bay.

In addition to the reasons above, the primary reason that ME1 is special to me is its story elements. As a former fan of the 80s science fiction mini-series like Battlestar Galactica (the one and the only original one, of course) or Buck Roger, I have to say that ME1 captured the atmosphere and the mood of these mini-series perfectly - and even better in many cases. As is, obviously having drawn many experiences from their excellent previous work in the Knight of the Old Republic, the EAbioware writing team, headed by Drew Kapyshyn, did a stellar job in creating their own science fiction universe and its own saga.

The music in ME1, composed by Jack Wall and Sam Hulick, may not be perfect - but it is a perfect fit for the game. Surely, it is not as melodramatic as the music in ME3; nor is it as inspiring as ME2's. However, when framed within of the aforementioned science fiction genre, it is simply perfect. As is, I also have the soundtrack of ME1 and highly recommend it fellow ME fans.

Another remarkable achievement for ME1 - at least for me - is that up until ME1, I never really give a damn about voice acting in games. In fact, I strongly dislike the idea of merging video games and movies together - and I still do. However, ME1 is an exception due the outstanding performances by virtually all the actors involved - especially Jennifer Hale, who voiced the female Commander Sheppard.

In conclusion, and also in retrospection, in spite of all the little things that ME1 did not get right, in addition to the overreaching but worthless limited activation DRM scheme that wrecked the overall product (a serious offense in my book which results in an unfortunate deduction of 2 stars for the product), the game itself is beautifully executed and its story is a substantial work of well-implemented science fiction. Therefore, whether you are newcomer to the ME series or a veteran - and if you think the DRM scheme is worth the trouble - taking into considering the game's dirt cheap current pricing (also, please see the comment section for more info) - it's worth it to embrace the eternity of Mass Effect 1.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 14, 2014
This review is from: Mass Effect (DVD-ROM)
Great trade. No problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks seller my mass effect with this edition is complete, May 1, 2014
This review is from: Mass Effect (DVD-ROM)
Started playing today and game is all that I expected it would be and more. Soon I will be playing further on with the other mass effect i own. So thank you seller for this great item.

Mass Effect
Mass Effect by EA (Windows XP)
$11.55