5.0 out of 5 stars Massive Fun 2
INTRODUCTION
Mass Effect, by Electronic Arts (EA), sets the benchmark for third person role playing actions games. It is as close to a DVD movie as a video game can get, because, unlike most first person games, players can see and hear the player character as well as the non-player characters (NPCs). This movie-like quality greatly enhances the compelling story,...
Published on January 26, 2010 by Alan Rivière

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but the removal of RPG elements is a loss I miss
Playing Mass Effect 2 is like watch a good movie, a movie where you can interrupt the flow at certain points and take control of the characters and slightly change the plot. Mass Effect has always been about telling a grand story, and the middle part of the Mass Effect trilogy has made improvements over the first title, the story is deeper, and a bit more interesting and...
Published on February 26, 2010 by Opinionated Consumer

‹ Previous | 151 52 5368 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars 5/5! Worth the buy., October 22, 2010
This review is from: Mass Effect 2 Platinum Hits (Video Game)
Mass Effect 2 is a game that builds upon the basis of the original, and it does it well. This game is PACKED with enough missions and quests to keep you occupied for the better part of a few days. It also has enough different options during play-through that most will find some reason to make a second pass. On an unrelated note, the achievements are reasonable, neither ridiculously hard nor stupidly easy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sci-Fi Heaven?!, July 13, 2010
eXists (Maryland, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mass Effect 2 Platinum Hits (Video Game)
Recommendation: BUY @ $60 (full price)

Pros:
. Sci-Fi at its best
. Tight controls for great action
. Improved side missions
. Frequent DLC
. Afterlife & Aria

Cons:
. Mining planets gets boring
. Cliche romance storyline
. Switching discs even after installing
. Richer RPG elements would help
. Too much action, less adventure

A few words:
Entering Omega the first time hearing the beats coming out of Afterlife... the slow promenade towards the club entrance fills you with anticipation... The moment you get in, the loud techno music, the dancers, meeting Aria, this was a moment of gaming utopia, mesmerizing!

The first hour in was really special then it's back to business, in a good way. The missions start and suck you in for hours upon hours of rich dialogue and gameplay.

Combat has improved, much more Gears-like, taking cover is better than the first game. Weapon management and upgrades are much easier to deal with, RPG purists might not approve though. The game has decidedly taken a much more action oriented approach and veered away from Bioware's traditional RPG history. Where I think they've over-simplified is with character creation and powers, you don't feel any significant differences or improvements, just too basic.

Exploring the universe is better streamlined, however mining gets boring really quickly, the first game did it better but took more time to finish. People complained about the Mako vehicle in ME1 although personally i really enjoyed it. In ME2 a new vehicle the Hammerhead is introduced (via DLC) which is faster and easier to control and hovers instead.

During dialogue, you now have the possibility of cutting short conversations but not always. The good/evil paragon/renegade alignment is still here and affects dialogue options. Party characters are quite varied with the usual romance but it's still too cliche with little depth, needs to be better developed. Again action is the primary concern above all else and it's a shame they're shying away from pushing a richer story like the brilliant KOTOR ( Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic).

ME2 is another contender for game of the year and the multiple DLC helps you get back into it from time to time.
In addition Drew Karpyshyn the leas writer has been releasing side stories that are a good read, check these out and while you're there I would get his bestselling Star Wars Darth Bane books, great stuff! There's also a comic series but the reviews have been average.

Can't wait for ME3!

4.0 out of 5 stars Mass Effect 2 is an Enjoyable Double Entendre, April 16, 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mass Effect 2 Platinum Hits (Video Game)
Mass Effect 2 was named, ostensibly, after the found technology that allows humans and countless alien races to explore the stars and interact with each other. However, there's another meaning. The effect that you can have on the game and the wide open universe in which it exists.

You are Shepherd, a former covert operative for the intergalactic community turned special agent for a human-centric shadow organization. Your mission, protect humanity from the Collectors, a race of beings bent on destroying all life in the galaxy.

Make no mistake, this is a role-playing game. You are going to interact with (meaning, in general, talk to) many different people. Your interactions (read: conversation options) determine your relationship with them and your alignment.

However, fear not, there is plenty of shoot-em-up action. The game controls are 3rd person, but the actual combat is not turn based. It all happens in real time, which is a step away from most role-playing games. There is a pause and aim function, and combat isn't as intense as a first person shooter where the focus in entirely on combat. But, for a role-playing game, action is intense and looks exceptionally good.

The world is large and diverse. You can explore star systems, find quests, or you can follow the main plot of the game. There's a message service that offers up new side-quests for you to perform if you want.

There are some weaknesses in this game which took away from the full experience. Finding resources is tedious and upgrading your squad has been simplified and based on the amount of resources you have found.

If you want to know if you need to play Mass Effect before jumping to the sequel, you don't. Any elements from the last game that appear here can be explained if the player wants, or skipped if the player knows the story.

4.0 out of 5 stars ME2... with a few changes., April 15, 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mass Effect 2 Platinum Hits (Video Game)
Ok, I'm a few hours into he game so bear with me.

PROS:
- NO MAKO! I hated that damned thing.
- The little things: Lovely loading screens.Very nice graphics. Like the new ship. The hacks and bypass. I like it.
- Ethical ramifications. EVERY time you turn around you're given a Paragon/Renegade option...and in some cases, only seconds to make the decision. Sometimes, you receive Renegade AND Paragon points. LOL
It really makes you think about your choices. Choices that could affect your image and the galaxy.
I was a Paragon character who saved the Arachni and sacrificed the counsel in ME1. However, I'm neck and neck with ME2...and breaking all of my 'noble good girl' rules.
- You don't have to utilize the wheel to use your teammates Mass Effect abilities.

CONS:
- COMBAT! What was wrong with it in ME1? Biggest issue --> It seems that you can't crouch unless you're right next to an object. I know that it's somewhat minor but it really irked tme.
I was doing the rescue mission for Archangel. Had to leap over some barriers to get to shut one door...I had a time doing that. You sort of have to press fwd and A simultaneously and everytime I hit the A button, Sheppard crouched and used the barrier for cover. Fortunately the area wasn't crawling with enemies. When I came to help Archangel(after securing the doors) my team was pounced upon. My team member (left one with Archangel) ran off away from me, which was fine because he took out a lot of enemies.
Meanwhile, who is going to save Sheppard? *laugh* I was having a time trying to defend. I tried to take position behind the nearest pillar and crouch while shooting at the dog-creature bounding towards me...and missing.

NEUTRAL:
- Seems to force players to employ more strategy. This could be a good thing...or an annoying thing.
- Everything seems...smaller? The Citadel is definitely smaller but other worlds make up for it.
- The customization of weapons and armor such. I don't mind doing it. I'm neutral to all of this 'researching upgrades' business, though.

5.0 out of 5 stars PC vs. XBOX360 version, March 27, 2010
This review is from: Mass Effect 2 Platinum Hits (Video Game)
Since there have already been about 200 gushing reviews, I'll focus on just a few topics that might still be fresh or useful:

PC vs. XBOX360 version:
=======================
I have both. Started with the PC one, and I'm in my second playthru there. About 1/3 way thru my first on the 360. Which do I recommend? Depends.

XBOX360
+ If you have a big screen + 5.1+ home theater, this favors the X360, unless you have kitted out your PC to your home theater
- 2 discs to switch. I loaded the first onto the X360 drive, haven't gotten to the second). So so far, not an issue.
- Slower loads, but not ME1 "elevator" bad (more on this in PC section)
- Probably the biggest minus: the planetary resource scanning is much slower in the XBOX version. One of your first upgrades should be to get the advanced scanner. Trust me! And even so, it is drudgery on the X360 (compared to just mildly annoying on the PC)

Note the slow texture loads of ME1 are a thing of the past, so not an X360 issue this time.

PC
+ lower price
+ Mouse usage in combat is superior (once you get used to it), and FAR, FAR superior for the resource scanning.
+ In theory, better graphics and higher resolution.
- But in reality, I found I had to play at no higher than 1280x800 on my Core 2 duo 2.66 GHz + modest nVidia 9500 PC. And I had some pretty bad stuttering which I haven't seen yet on the 1280x720 XBOX (admittedly, I might not have gotten to that same part of the game). So for now, I prefer the X360 here!
+/- load times. In general, faster. But I, and many others, had a problem with very slow loads.

**** SOLUTION: If you have this PC load problem on a Core 2 PC, after loading ME2, alt-tab to the desktop, ctl-alt-del to the taskbar, choose Processes, r-click the ME2 process, select Set Affinity, uncheck CPU 1, select OK, repeat and recheck CPU 1. Presto, load problem solved!

Otherwise, I find them pretty equivalent. The keyboard mapping on the PC is a little more flexible than the 360's limted button mapping. But in some ways I prefer the 360 wheel anyway.

Here's what I think should be the deciding factor: which did you use for ME1? Having an imported ME1 character adds another dimension to the game that makes it well worth choosing the same version for ME2.

Other random thoughts/guidance:
===============================

Regardless of my last point above, I actually recommend playing thru the first time with a new (non-imported character). Then using the ME1 character import on your second playthru will make it it that much more fresh and special.

If you play on the default Normal difficulty, you will miss out on a lot of the combat nuances. You'll find that the heavily shielded (or Barrier'd) enemies in a Hardcore playthru make character class, away team selection, weaponry choice and upgrade much more important. Perhaps some that decried the loss of RPG elements in ME2 would be at least in part mollified. Though I might even suggest the same theme as before: playthru 1 on "Normal", 2 on "Hardcore" to again keep that sense of discovery enhancing replayability.

Last, if anyone has made it this far. And in the very unlikely event that you are deciding whether to play ME2 without having played ME1:
Full Stop! Do NOT get ME2! Get ME1. It is a great game (I won't guibble about which is "better"). It is cheap. By the time you play it through, ME2 will be cheaper. And you'll enjoy ME2 more not just for knowing the full back-story, but also having the character to import. This is as close to a no-brainer as it gets.

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars CH-CH-CH-CHAAANGES, March 3, 2010
This review is from: Mass Effect 2 Platinum Hits (Video Game)
Time to faaaace the change, ch ch chaaangesss. Ok.

In short: Mass effect, an RPG with action elements, Mass effect 2 an action game with RPG elements. I completed just about all of the side quests and the story in just under 28 hours. Overall the theme with this sequel was more detail less ..... quantity. Quality over quantity here (ex, no planet exploration). Some people might disagree but I would like to see more of both, and I don't mind juggling two discs in my xbox to handle that. I like the detail put into the environments in this one but the galaxy just didn't seem as big this time around. Not a knock to the game though I still loved it. Also I somewhat preferred the elevator load scenes as opposed to the loading screen, but again, that is another one of the differences between the RPG and action game elements here.

PROS
-more action, lots more
-Miranda Lawson
-way more detail in the environments
-graphics are amazing
-new powers are awesome
-no pointless planet exploration
-Miranda Lawson
-you get to team up with a geth
-heavy weapons
-less quests that involve only talking

CONS
-less credits in my pocket
-guns don't pack as much umph
-no pointless planet exploration (a pro and a con for me)
-no loot (don't give me a ton, but give me some)
-environments are more detailed, but smaller
-the new leveling point system leaves me with points left over (i'm not wasting resources....)
-theres only going to be three of these

The cons are really just things I would like to see improved on in mass effect three. I loved this sequel and I think it would be great if 3 fell somewhere in the middle. Overall though I love this game and if the third one turns out like this I wouldn't be disappointed. I recommend this game to anyone. I love this game, they should have called it "Isaac Asimovs foundation", changed the story a little and made 7 of these because I'm going to be sad after the third one comes out. :(

5.0 out of 5 stars An elevator ride up from the first Mass Effect, February 18, 2010
This review is from: Mass Effect 2 Platinum Hits (Video Game)
Mass Effect is an experience that every video game player should experience. Mass Effect 2 is even more so! Of course to get the full experience playing the first one is highly recommended as choices made in the first can be imported into the second...

This game is all about the choices you make and the story... 5 stars goes to this game because of the graphics, gampeplay and story... The galaxy has never looked so beautiful! Colors are vibrant and there's always something going on somewhere... The character models are unique in each alien race and you never know what to expect! Unless of course you have played the first one...

The gameplay feels a lot more fast paced and action oriented this time around. You can now use the directional pad to send your teammates to different locations instead of both to the same one and you can also shortcut one power for each of your teammates to the directional pad. I prefer to set the powers while the gameplay is paused with the bumper and then let go to unleash all my biotic and tech powers at once on the baddies but it's a nice addition. You can also shortcut 3 of your powers now which with some classes is great!

The story... is... AWESOME! The replayability... flawless! This game will keep you coming back for more to try out different situations and what not. Of course playing the first one will only add more to your experience but even if you're just jumping into the 2nd of the series you'll have a blast. All the voice acting and reactions you get and also the emotions flow very well in this game and you will be fully immersed in it. Loads of extra side missions you can do with downloadable content you can get for even more added features... Definitely a must own for all gamers... Check it out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than what I expected., March 2, 2010
This review is from: Mass Effect 2 Platinum Hits (Video Game)
Let me start off by saying I never played nor had interest in playing the first Mass Effect. I have never been a fan of rpg games and squad control games. Always a shooter or action game guy, But the more I watched videos and read up on ME2 I realized they made it easier for people who don't play those games to get into it. Even if you didn't play the first one they loosely explain the story and what happened to catch you up, which I liked.

I liked how you can set an option to auto upgrade yourself and team, and while some find that it takes away from the game, I love it because I don't want to worry about that minor stuff and I want to have fun with the story. I also liked how you can set to let your team choose their own powers to use. I was worried I would have to tell them what to do throughout the whole game so finding I didn't was a major selling point to me. The class selection was hard to choose( so many good choices) so I know i'm gonna play through again and try out either the soldier or the infiltrator.

I loved the story so far and the graphics. They all flowed so nicely and the writing was amazing! It was fun trying to sweet talk a female team member only to say one wrong thing and have them shut you down.

I'm actually not even done with the game and already it's warranted the price it cost to buy it. I don't think you could fully enjoy and get all the little stuff out of game from renting it. Plus if you buy it new you get access to the Cerberus Network(for DLC and bonus content) for free and don't have to pay another $15 on the marketplace if you bought it used. I look forward to the DLC that has been announced ,and stuff that hasn't and hope it keeps me interested until ME3 comes out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, June 13, 2010
This review is from: Mass Effect 2 Platinum Hits (Video Game)
Mass effect 2 was a great game!!! I could almost say the game is better than the first. First off, i love that you ha e the ability to import your character from the last game. Second, i love the graphics and game-play, those are outstanding. I also love the character development along with an outstanding plot. I would completely recommend it. I also got it for half off on Amazon, it was excellent!!!1

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic 5 Star Game, March 3, 2010
This review is from: Mass Effect 2 Platinum Hits (Video Game)
This game was excellent, arrived on time, and was well worth the money. If you've played the first, you have to try this one. My only complaint would be the mineral farming system, which is actually much faster on the PC version. Why they made it slower for the Xbox360 I have no idea. If you can tolerate the slow process (not mandatory but needed for better endings), then this game is a must-buy.

‹ Previous | 151 52 5368 | Next ›

Mass Effect 2 Platinum Hits
Mass Effect 2 Platinum Hits by Electronic Arts (Xbox 360)
$19.99 $12.90