5.0 out of 5 stars Some extra info for those interested
As of the moment I'm writing this there are 5 Amazon customer reviews about this game and none of them are "Amazon Purchase Verified" (or whatever Amazon calls it). Heres some info I have learned for those considering purchasing the Mass Effect Trilogy (PC version):

Published on November 26, 2012 by Joe Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars meh...
The good: ME 1/2/3 all included in one package. All of ME1 DLC is included.

The bad: the following DLC is missing:

ME2:
Lair of the Shadow Broker (really good)
Overlord Pack (meh)
Arrival (mainly a solo dlc pack)
Kasumi - Stolen Memory (get to add a new character)

ME3:
From Ashes (pretty good)
Leviathan...
Published on December 29, 2012 by Jonathan B. Johnson

3.0 out of 5 stars meh..., December 29, 2012
This review is from: Mass Effect Trilogy [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
The good: ME 1/2/3 all included in one package. All of ME1 DLC is included.

The bad: the following DLC is missing:

ME2:
Lair of the Shadow Broker (really good)
Overlord Pack (meh)
Arrival (mainly a solo dlc pack)
Kasumi - Stolen Memory (get to add a new character)

ME3:
From Ashes (pretty good)
Leviathan (pretty good)
(anything else currently out)

The Ugly:
ME3 plays on with all ME2 DlC considered canon and played whether or not you have actually purchased it.

Conclusion-
As a player of the entire trilogy, it is hard to recommend this to people new to the series. The only period I would do so is when this is on sale. Also keep a look out if you can buy these separately at a cheaper price, because this collection is no different from buying the games separately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some extra info for those interested, November 26, 2012
This review is from: Mass Effect Trilogy [Online Game Code] (Software Download)

I purchased this game today (Cyber Monday 2012) thru Amazon (for $29.99 instead of the $59.99 price! Amazon is awesome!) and I activated it on the Origin client. I've never used Origin. The only Digital Game sites I have ordered from have been either Steam or Amazon (& the game required Steam) or Good Old Games (which is DRM-less btw).

On the Origin Store I see that in regard to the Mass Effect games a "points " system is used instead of just stating how many dollars a dlc costs. Strike one. All points systems stink of ripoff imo (I think Xbox uses a point system but I've never played an Xbox before so this method of ripping off customers of a handful of dollars I am not used to).

Here's how much Mass Effect 2 & 3 dlc will cost you in dollars. The dlc that adds to the story of Mass Effect (as far as I can tell) are the folowing (there is a digital comic also being sold but I will not list it since I'm not sure it adds anything to the story):

Mass Effect 2 DLC:

Lair of the Shadow Broker: cost 800 "BioWare Points"

Overlord Pack: cost 560 "BioWare Points"

Arrival: cost 560 "BioWare Points"

Kasumi - Stolen Memory: cost 560 "BioWare Points".

Mass Effect 3 DLC:

From Ashes: cost 800 "BioWare Points"

Leviathan: cost 800 "BioWare Points".

So to experience the entire Mass Effect story you would have to buy "BioWare Points" and pay (if you buy through the Origin Store which I don't know if it's mandatory for ME DLC):

BioWare Points cost:
1600 points: $20.00
1200 points: $15.00
800 points: $10.00
400 points: $5.00

$35 for ME2 DLC.
$20 for ME3 DLC.

Total: $55.00.

So I payed 29.99 for the Trilogy. That would mean I would have to spend $84.99 in total if I choose to buy these DLC.

In my opinion I believe the reason all ME2 DLC was not included was in hope that new players would spend extra on ME2. Not including all the ME3 DLC is understandable to me since ME3 is still less than a year old.

I am a new player to the Mass Effect franchise. I have not played the Trilogy yet (it's currently downloading) but if the story is as good as everyone says it is (not including the controversial ME3 ending) than I guess I will pay the extra $55 for the story DLC. But at least I saved $30! Thanks Amazon! :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete the trilogy. EA. why is it incomplete?, March 26, 2013
This review is from: Mass Effect Trilogy [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
I already owned the first 2 titles and couldn't justify buying ME3 full price knowing full well it costs about $80 to get all the DLC for the game once it is all released.

I was surprised to find that ME2 & ME3 only comes with a small selection of DLC and not all of it like anyone who buys a trilogy/box set expects, EA really stuffed up on this package, It should have been released only with all the content, instead of pulling a bait and switch just to nickel and dime you for all the missing extras.

Do yourself a favour and wait for this package to hit the bargain bin, or wait for a complete trilogy that has all the DLC included.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite series of all time., January 19, 2013
This review is from: Mass Effect Trilogy [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
This game series has been one of my favorites for a very long time. My only issue is that more DLC should be added directly into the download.

5.0 out of 5 stars $10 Sale 1/2/14 - Amazing Deal, worth the disadvantages of Origin/PC version of Mass effect, January 2, 2014
This review is from: Mass Effect Trilogy [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
I bought the trilogy off of amazon at 10$ for the origin code. Disregard the previous reviews that say Origin is difficult to work with/ the game is difficult to download. If you already are familiar with the process of digital downloads this is a walk in the park. Here are the basic things you will need.

1.) An Origin Account
2.) The program Origin downloaded to your PC (Off of EA's website)
3.) The download code received from the purchase

Simply take the code, then open up Origin by using your account information. Click the "origin" button in the top left corner and click the first option "Redeem a game code." Copy and paste your code into the box provided and you will have access to the trilogy.

EA is currently selling the games for 23.99 off of Origin itself, so take advantage of this deal. It is a fantastic value for hundreds of hours of one of the best sci-fi game series to date.

Also, be aware that game controllers DO NOT WORK on this series on PC, it is a bioware developed game primarily, similar to Star Wars knights of the old republic, so it is expected that there would not be a gamepad option. It is still worth purchasing the game and adjusting the controls. You may have a little trouble driving the Mako (Rover vehicle in the game) but other than that you will have no issues.
-Eric Whinnery

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Games; WATCH OUT, ORIGIN REQUIRED, December 30, 2013
This review is from: Mass Effect Trilogy [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
I played the Mass Effect games on my XBox 360(except 3), and I was curious about how it'd run on my gaming laptop.

I can't go back to the 360 versions.

60FPS, better inventory options, keyboard & mouse interface...the works. No controller support, so there have been some growing pains, but nothing serious if you already play PC games to begin with.

A NOTE THOUGH; THE BUNDLE DOES REQUIRE ORIGIN(which I was not aware of, nor am outright adverse to), SO KEEP THAT IN MIND IF YOU'RE THINKING OF REDEEMING THIS ON STEAM. Mass Effect 3 isn't even available on Steam, so Origin is the only way to play the trilogy on PC, short of splitting them up(1+2 on Steam, 3 on Origin).

Now, for the games themselves; I like the games, Origin isn't the Devil, I recommend this purchase to anyone curious about the games. There's lots of content here(Mass Effect 1 alone could take over 40+ hrs. to 100% complete)to enjoy, and even though the games change drastically between installments in terms of features and depth(and arguably, quality), the whole package is pretty damn satisfying.

You play as a soldier of great renown, created by you; everything from your appearance to your backstory and your skills in combat. Once you're done creating your character, you're positioned within the narrative as a representative of humanity as a whole, fighting as part of an intergalactic group of(essentially)special forces agents known as "Specters". You quickly, through circumstances beyond your control, end up in control of your own vessel, full of crew members, dispatched to space in pursuit of a criminal bent on destroying all life in the galaxy.

The first game sets the stage, explaining the world, it's workings and history; the most RPG-like of the 3, the amount of customization and depth within the game makes it one of the best western RPGs ever, let alone a great start for the series. The second shakes things up with an unconventional twist to start that expands upon the perspectives of some elements of the first game. Many of the skill and customization options are dropped in favor of streamlining the experience for new players. As a result, the second suffers a bit of an identity crisis, but the narrative more than makes up for the shortcomings of the gameplay. The third brings things to a bombastic close, all of your choices and decisions coming full circle in one glorious race to the finish. Many argue that the ending(pre-patch, anyway)leaves a lot to be desired, but it's since been expanded upon via patches and DLC.

Through conversation, or behind the barrel of a gun, you'll gain information, allies, and enemies to aid and hinder you in your search, often times finding yourself derailed by any of dozens of the myriad side-quests or seemingly barren planets to salvage items and discover ancient artifacts.

As a Specter, you can do whatever you must to accomplish your mission, and these decisions affect how people see you, and, to a lesser extent, your appearance. Major choices consist of either "Paragon"(good)or "Renegade"(bad), with the occasional gray area option. There are skills and perks for going all one way or the other, which kinda stinks, since you're less encouraged to react how you'd feel you would and more inclined to go with the option most inclined to one way or the other. Some dialogue options aren't even available unless you've been going all in on Paragon or Renegade. Your party members will sometimes comment on the things you do, but they'll never react strongly to the things you do, like leaving your party or confronting you directly(outside of the occasional scripted example). Combat consists of 3rd-person gunplay with cover use, along with squad commands ranging from simple point-and-command attack and movement options, to advanced support strategies, like having a party member lift an enemy from behind cover so you can shoot them, or overheating an enemy's guns so that they can't fire at you, allowing you to rush them down for a melee attack. The gunplay is a bit rough in the first game, but it gets much better from the second game onward, even though the game seems to limit your options severely in the latter two parts of the series. Interactions with NPCs consists of a dialogue wheel, Paragon choices at the top, Renegade choices on the bottom, usually. Even if an NPC isn't necessary for story progression, it's good to chat with everyone to see if there's a side-quest or some lore to get for the in-game encyclopedia.

As you go through the first game, you make decisions and set in motion plot threads that play out through all three games, and even though many of the complex features that make the first game so great end up being either reduced in complexity or removed entirely, the experience as a whole-which is, to play 3 40+ hour-long RPGs back-to-back as part of a single storyline that has choice and consequence influenced by you, the player-is something rarely seen in gaming. The sheer scope of the experience is something that most-if not all-gamers should at least try.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the current price of $11.99, February 28, 2014
This review is from: Mass Effect Trilogy [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
I have ME1 and ME2. I was really looking forward to this game, but I can't purchase it because I refuse to support EA in any way.

I'll just make a quick list as to why.

- Steam fiasco: EA seems to only care about maximum per unit revenue.
- EA Origin client: Border-line-spyware/DRM that masquerades as a game manager.
- Day 1 DLC that isn't really DLC: It wasn't a side story, like "Smuggler bay" or "The rogue planet". The day 1 DLC was directly related to the story. It was a unapologetically transparent test of a monetization scheme to get the release price of an AAA game to a soft $80.
- And lastly, the fact that all this is just how EA does business and supporting that only helps them become the publisher of more IPs.

I'm just adding it to the growing list of games I really wanted to play, but didn't because they were published by EA.

At this point, I wont buy an EA game on principle alone. Your money is more powerful than your words, use it wisely.

This is a review in the same sense that someone can make a recommendation on a blender based on their knowledge of the company that makes it. Coincidentally, I recommend Vitamix. They last forever and stuff circulates really well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your time and money., April 28, 2014
This review is from: Mass Effect Trilogy [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
Waste of money... As ALL the other reviews say it, origin(EAs download manager) ruined this game(for PC at least) you go through the initial process of entering the game key 🔑 and then downloading all 56gb and some change for game ONE, but right at the 25% mark "origin had encounter a critical error and must stop" WHAT!?!!?! of you spend another 2 hours trying to redo and redo and then fix the problem, but still it doesn't work. WASTE OF MONEY. I also contacted amazon, the rep told me it was most likely the game key... Hub?!? Dude I told you i entered and DOWNLOADED the game, but whatever lesson learned.

3.0 out of 5 stars Be prepared that in order to get the whole story, you're going to need to spend more $$., August 12, 2014
This review is from: Mass Effect Trilogy [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
I'm really only going to cover the aspects of the collection for this review. I'm only going to briefly mention the gameplay (drastic change from 1-2, made hugely better), the ending of ME3 (disappointing, but not as bad as it's been made out to be in my opinion - besides the game was so great it's worth the experience), and the story (ending aside, it's without a doubt the best I've encountered in an interactive medium).

My main purpose for this review will be to discuss this product as a collection of all three titles. As others have mentioned, the lack of inclusion of ALL DLC was extremely frustrating. Adding insult to injury, I would have thought that the purchase of DLC would have been linked to my EA/Origin account. Not so. I previously had purchased all DLC for all three games. Yet when I signed into Origin with the same credentials I used to connect my X360 copy (my 360 died recently), none of my DLC was available (none of my Multiplayer items were available either - another unpleasant surprise).

Really, if you're going to talk about this being a collection of all three games, it should include all the DLC (and certainly if you're going to make players connect their console copies to an EA account, said DLC should be available on all platforms).

A lot of people are making a big deal out of the Origin requirement - like the ending to the game, I think this is a bit more blown out of proportion than it needs to be. I didn't find Origin to be intrusive at all (in fact, I find it to be less intrusive than the commonly applauded Steam, but that's just my opinion - others may feel strongly differently). You sign in to Origin, you launch the game. Simple as that.

In all, a GREAT series, but this trilogy as a collection is pretty disappointing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work, January 5, 2014
Janet A Lounsbury (Hyde Park, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mass Effect Trilogy [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
This goes through origin and once you download it it does not work. It is a waste of money unless you have 3 hours to fix the problem.

Mass Effect Trilogy [Online Game Code]