5.0 out of 5 stars Great Multimeter
Published on June 19, 2011 by Adam Thull

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good for the price
It is not a Fluke and I am pleasantly surprised.

Pros
1-The multimeter doesn't feel / look cheap with no rattling internal parts despite being light. Ergonomic grips at the sides.
Published on May 10, 2011 by Clayton

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Multimeter, June 19, 2011
Adam Thull (TOWER HILL, IL, US) - See all my reviews
I bought this for ham radio and automotive trouleshooting. This is a great multimeter, the auto-ranging feature is very convenient, as is the back light. I checked the sensitivity and accuracy of the meter on a friends oscilloscope, comparable to some of his much more expensive yellow multimeters(you know what brand I'm referring to) Of course the batteries supplied are cheap and don't last long, but it is nice that they include some to get it working right out of the mailbox. It may not be what you are looking for if you plan on using it 6 hours a day every day, but for general amateur use it is more than adequate, and an EXCELLENT value!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Budget Meter, December 4, 2008
Radar Tech (Southern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mastech AC/DC Auto/Manual Range Digital Multimeter, MS8268 (Automotive)
This is an acceptable multimeter and will service most peoples needs. Obviously you are not going to compare this to a Fluke multimeter, but for the price vs accuracy it is a decent multimeter. I have (2) of these and use them for general use where 100% accuracy is not critical. If you want better tolerances then you are going to have to spend a lot more than what the Mastech MS8268 is offering.

With that said, the unit is somewhat large which may be better for some people. It has a nice large LCD display that is backlit if needed. The plastic casing itself is pretty rugged and the selector dial feels solid when you rotate the dial. Autoranging is nice and I really like the LED blinking terminal feature that displays which correct terminals to use depending on what function you have selected. As one of the previous reviewers stated this unit does not come with (3) AAA batteries. I like this MS8268 unit and believe most people that need a decent affordable multimeter can't go wrong for the price on this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mastech MS8268 Multimeter, March 14, 2012
WinCrazy (near Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
"Dead nuts" accuracy (< 1% error) on all the functions that matter most to me. The case is oversized, but this is just not important. Its stand works well. My only disappointment is that the excellent probes don't come with the ability to screw on any type of alligator clips. This setup is what I use most and I haven't found any alligator clips made for probes that have no threaded collar for screwing on the clips. I have to substitute inferior probes just to get integrated alligators. I would gladly have paid more money (say, 5 bucks) just to get this one little feature.

Auto-ranging works very well for a meter this cheap. I know better than to compare this meter to any that cost 5 to 10 times as much ! This model has truly superb "bang for the buck". It accurately measures resistors in the 1.0 and 0.10 ohm range, and it zeroes out to 0.00 ohms when its probes are shorted together.

The cap/diode/transistor plug-in test adapter is very handy. However, the transistor hFE test function seems nearly useless due to it biasing the transistor with an incredibly tiny current. Most discrete transistors are simply not biased this way in circuits which makes the meter's reading all but useless for most practical purposes.

All-in-all, I love this meter. Comparison of other meter models' user reviews against this meter's reviews led me to get this particular model. It is far, far better than the cheapie $10 to $20 meters. It's worth much more than the thirty-two clams (shipping included) I paid for it compared to all its competitors in its 25 to 50 buck price range.

A general observation: Mastech bench top power supplies also seem to be top notch for their cost. No other manufacturer seems to come close to matching Mastech's value and quality for their product's cost.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good for the price, May 10, 2011
It is not a Fluke and I am pleasantly surprised.

Pros
2-Accuracy spot on against two other multimeters and other built-in meters in my ham radios. Known values of resistors/capacitors that I had previously measured are reflected with third decimal variances with this meter - not bad at all (yes small rating 1K & 100uf if you were wondering)
3-Auto power off with a notification beep; quite handy.
4-LED safety status & beeps are great
5-Display is large and crisp
6-Back-light is evenly distributed
7-Continuity test response/latency is quite short without scratchy sounds (great!)
8-You can change battery without having to open the whole meter or remove the rubber boot
9-It appears to have a HRC fuse installed - EDIT - DOES NOT
10-Separate compartment for battery & fuse without having to dismantle the whole meter.
11-Mine came with batteries in top condition.
12-The manual range feature is useful if you are working with predefined variables and require readings quickly
13-Crossing the leads in ohms shows 0.000 not 0.001 like some other meters

Cons
1-The auto ranging can be little on the slow side, though only occasionally as much as 4-5 seconds.
2-Rather thin rubber boot; I wouldn't like to drop it.
3-The hold feature is manual.
4-The box & packaging was in Chinese showing another older manual ranging meter so I was initially worried I had received an incorrect product.
5-Rounded base coupled with its medium sized foot stand makes it prone to tipping over if not placed on a level surface.

Other thoughts
1-The meter draws 2.24mA just being on, 20.2mA for continuity, 20mA for the back-light & 30mA for both at the same time. Somewhat high. Time will determine accuracy vs current drain/battery life.
2-The HFE/capacitance adapter was supplied but I very rarely used it since it is impractical to remove every component to test it.
3-Continuity should have been the default mode instead of diode testing since that is more typically used.
4-Naturally it didn't come with screw on alligator clips like the more expensive meters but I wonder if such leads will be compatible with this meter?

For the US$40 price, it is excellent. I would purchase another.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE 2012-10-20
The test of time is really the deciding factor. I've noticed for some months now the meter has been acting up, specifically on the DC range. Measuring 13.8V gives a 23V at times, a 1.5V battery reads 9V etc. How unfortunate that such a well presented meter will eventually find its way in the trash because I can't ever trust it now.

1.0 out of 5 stars Check all ranges on your new meter, July 6, 2011
Robert Hall (Jericho, Vt. United States) - See all my reviews
I failed to check all functions on my new meter when I got it. I had occasion to use the DC Voltage after about 6 months. It read 53 volts on a car battery. A AA battery reads over 8 volts, and a few millivolts with the leads reversed.

Amazon supplied me with the contact info for the manufacturer, and said that it was up to the mfgr to resolve the issue.

I have been waiting for a reply from them for over three weeks.

If you buy from Mastech, make sure you check all ranges immediately..

Sinometer AC/DC Auto/Manual Range Digital Multimeter, MS8268

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid feel, great features including frequency, November 2, 2012
In the middle of a power outage from Hurricane Sandy, the rusty governor spring on my generator finally broke leaving the engine running at idle. Fashioning a replacement spring and adjusting the generator output to 120 volts got us through the outage, but after it was over I wanted to set the governor more precisely to get exactly 60 Hz. I was planning to buy a dedicated panel-mount frequency meter but discovered that many multimeters now include a frequency function, and since the Mastech was under $30, I ordered it. It arrived two days later, a day faster than promised.

My first impressions on opening the box were: 1) it's big, and 2) it's decent quality. The rotary dial and the pushbuttons click into place with authority, the case feels solid and doesn't flex, and the probes are heavy gauge wire. I ran through some AC and DC voltage and resistance checks; the results agree with my other meter though I don't have a NIST-traceable reference to test its absolute accuracy. House power frequency reads 59.96 Hz, as expected. The manual briefly describes the Cat II and Cat III safety standards the meter claims to meet - I have no way to verify compliance but it feels like it could take a beating in a lineman's toolbelt with no problem. A few minor observations that haven't been covered in other reviews:

1) It takes some effort to insert the probes the first time. I pushed until they felt fully seated, but there was still 1/4 inch of plastic sleeve exposed and the LED indicators didn't go out. The sockets are a standard size and the probes from my other meter went in smoothly all the way and extinguished the LEDs, so I forced the new probes all the way in. After that they are still stiffer than my old probes but no longer require excessive force.

2) The LCD display has a good viewing angle range in reflected light, but when using the backlight it is washed out when your eye is above 90 degrees from the display. The display contrast isn't user adjustable, but the default is fine from anywhere without the backlight and from below 90 degrees when using the backlight.

3) You can't set the backlight to stay on - it always fades out after 5 seconds from pressing the light button. But there is a display hold button, so if you are operating in a dim area you could capture the reading you want using hold and then light the display to read it.

4) There are two different ways of reading frequency. You can measure AC voltage or current using the function dial and then press the frequency button to cycle between voltage, frequency, and duty cycle. Or you can select frequency on the function dial and switch between frequency and duty cycle with the button. The manual indicates that the available ranges are different depending on whether the dial is set to voltage/current or to frequency, but either way works fine for 60 Hz power.

5) Other reviews said the beeper is weak; it sounds fine to me. But when using the continuity test function it has an odd stutter sound when making a connection - be-be-beeeeeeeep. Nothing to worry about, just an indicator that there is some electronics involved rather than a simple battery and beeper connected directly to the probes.

All in all a great meter; far more than I expected. Other reviewers say "great meter for the money" but in my opinion it's a great meter, period. The Fluke 175 claims .15%+2 accuracy for DC volts and 1.0%+3 for AC volts; this meter claims .7%+2 DC and .8%+3 AC on most ranges which is more than I need. I'll still use my old multimeter most of the time because it is more compact to carry around (I posted a picture for size comparison with the Equus 3320 Auto-Ranging Digital Multimeter). But it's nice to have the Mastech for when I need the extra features.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insuperable Multimeter quality at this price range..., November 7, 2007
Excellent multimeter, with nice accuracy for this price... Need more accuracy?? go for a fluke at several hundreds $$$ more... Autoranging it's a very nice option for fast readings between several ranges... It doesn't feel cheap at all, and i liked the green color... Large and clear readout, with a nice backlight option... In opposite with another reviewer, i got the "multi-function socket" for hFE measurement... Very happy with the device... Works with 3 AAA batteries (not supplied)...

5.0 out of 5 stars Good choice for the price, August 6, 2012
The Good
Backlight- Stays on for only 5 seconds then shuts off to save battery, only way to keep light on longer is to keep the light button pressed. Also has auto-shutoff after 15 min.
Quality- Nice design and construction. Has brass or metal screw retainers so they don't strip out like the soft plastic ones, when taken apart to change batteries. Nice kickstand.
Safety- Quality test leads, mine came with a cat 4 rating which I did not expect. Fused with a resettable and a ceramic 10A fuse. Warning sound and light if probes are in the wrong socket when trying to measure something, which makes it hard to blow out a fuse by accident.
I found it to be pretty accurate on DCV, ACV, DCA, DCmA, Resistance, Continuity sound is nice and loud, Capacitor- I saw another review that said it did not read over 10uF, it may be because it takes longer to read higher caps, for example when I tested a 120uF cap it took about 25-30 seconds to display a reading, but only took about two seconds to display a 10uF. The diode function was flaky at first using the same infrared LED, but now works every time. Uses regular AAA batteries.

The only con I have found is that it sometimes does not turn-on at first attempt, but always works when tried for a second time. Though in the last few days it has been very good at turning on at first attempt. I'm not sure if it's a common issue or just mine.

This is the cheapest in price Auto-range meter that I have seen, has functions that other similar or even more expensive meters don't have. If you are new to DMM's this one I believe is the best one to choose, before moving on to the more accurate and expensive ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good multimeter for it's price, March 3, 2007
In general, this is a great device for this cost range. It has all features required for daily usage. Description of multimeter can be found in internet. Here are some specific features:

- In any range two terminals to be used are illuminated with red LEDs (see foto). LED is swithed off when lead is pushed into terminal. If lead is pushed into wrong terminal for this range then correct terminal blinks and beeps.

- Automatic range; manual range selection with button.

- Wide set of ranges, including 400.0 mV and 400.0 uA

- Relative measurements and display hold. White backlight (5 seconds)

- Resettable fuse for current ranges (non-resettable for 10A range)

- Display data refresh: 3 per second.

Imperfection:

- Frequency measurement accuracy is low: 2%

- In accordance with manual, package must contain "Special Multi-Function socket" (required for hFE measurement). There was no such device in my package.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Reliable, May 27, 2012
I bought this meter less than 3 months ago and have used it successfully less than 20 times to check the performance of the photovoltaic system in my rv. Today I had the pleasure of dismantling the entire pv system looking for a problem. Turns out that the problem was the meter malfunctioning. (Yes, the batteries in the meter are new). The meter would sometimes give a reading and then, seconds later, would give several 0000 readings under identical circumstances, and vice versa. The giveaway was a zero volt reading at the rv battery, and then, after cycling the control knob a few times, a 12.9v reading. This scenario was repeated at every test point, with varying results.

I would return the unit to the manufacturer for repair, but there is NO manufacturer's warranty. I have contacted them describing the problem.
Yes, I purchased a lemon, and so may you.

P.S Just now, when turning the control knob to any position counterclockwise from "off", the screen remains blank; however, when turning the knob clockwise from "off", all the functions appear normally. Also, the meter has been pampered and never dropped.