Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Nothing But Thieves All-New Amazon Fire TV Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:$2.99

on November 5, 2011
I freaking loved this!!!

Last year I read the collection of shorts Sublime: Collected Shorts, which contains glimpses and slices of life and discipline of the sub Nicky and his Dom Devon. I really enjoyed them, but I was also left with wanting to know how the two met, how they started that relationship, and this book is what I dreamed of.

Both Nicky and Devon are actors, therefore they are used to mask their true persona, but they are also very good at reading the nuances of other people's behavior. When Nicky and Devon meet at a dinner, they immediately read each other. Their first encounters - seen from Nicky's POV - are brutal and they seem to satisfy only a shallow need on Nicky's part: pain, humiliation, relinquishing control, losing himself. The problem is that Nicky never really got to the bottom of his needs and Devon knows that.

The second half of the story is in Devon's point of view. Nicky enters his apartment and the scene with a bratty attitude that Devon tries to break. He wants Nicky to get deeper inside himself, to understand the value of his submission. What I liked about Devon was seeing the process of the decisions he makes, how he ponders cause and effect, how he tries to anticipates Nicky's behavior, setting him up to win or to fail. While Nicky is almost clueless about what's at the bottom of his heart and probably also about Devon's intentions, it's through Devon's point of view that we begin to understand what's broken in Nicky.

I'd really love to read about what happens next but in a more traditional way than the collection shorts.
on June 16, 2012
Master Class is the newly released (by Riptide) prequel to the Sublime collection of BDSM shorts. It covers the very start of the relationship between the submissive Nicky and his dom Devon. The short-short novella (or longish short story) opens with the first meeting between the two, and it's love, or perhaps lust, at first sight.

Nicky is a true masochist who seems addicted to punishment, and goes out of his way to provoke it from his doms. For his part, Devon seems to be a true sadist, although we're give some insight into his doubts about how far he can go with Nicky. Devon sees through Nicky's attempts to manipulate him and believes there's a deeper reason the young man seeks out pain and humiliation. A large portion of the book is taken up with Devon's torture of Nicky to get him to break down.

It can be a difficult read. The BDSM action was a bit much for my taste, which is one of the reasons I didn't rate the book higher. I also felt the book was a bit too short, and could have benefited from a bit more character development so we can have a better context for the revelations that come out. Finally, there was some niggling little issues with continuity. The characters occasionally do things that seem physically improbable. For example, Devon sits on a sofa, leaving Nicky standing in front of him. But then the next thing you know, Devon slaps Nicky hard in the head. Either Nicky is very short or Devon has very long arms. I find such things jar me out of the visual scene I've built in my head when reading and really distract from the story. There aren't a lot of such issues in this story but enough to mention.
on February 13, 2012
I read this story in one take and didn't even notice how the time flew by! The writing was extremely good and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The change of POV in the middle of the story only helped to see things more fully and I'm grateful the author chose to do it this way.
This was a short story, but I felt like I got to really know the characters and I couldn't help but fall for them (I must admit, the story left me with a warm, fuzzy feeling and a strong desire to read more about them! And I want Devon of my own. :D).

So, if you like stories filled with passion and frustration, BDSM with testing ones physical and mental boundaries, you must read this!
on February 8, 2012
Master Class

**This story is the Prequel to her small anthology called "SUBlime: Collected Shorts"

First, This story is certainly NOT for the faint of heart.

Now, To be honest, I haven't read that many BDSM books. It's not my favorite kink/genre but I don't necessarily turn away from it. If it sounds good in the blurb, I get it.
And this is that one title that I am SO glad I got and has made me a bigger fan of BDSM.

Nicky comes off as a bored spoiled Actor that has had everything he ever wanted and now just wants/needs someone to finally hold him down. Then, he encounters Devon. A Dom unlike one Nicky has ever had, because unlike his other Doms that let him play his little games, Devon, doesn't turn a blind eye to Nicky's games. He's Firm and strict almost cruel when He's in his 'Sir/Master' role giving Nicky nothing he wants yet everything Nicky has craved for at the same time. A True Dom.

The beginning is a little shocking (To me, anyways). It was rather harsh but don't stop reading! It gets SO much better and you quickly come to understand Devon and Nicky and their relationship.

The thing I loved most about this book is that it changed perspectives and gave you both characters' thoughts on what was happening and how they were feeling with the other's actions. It really made you get engrossed into the story and it gave you wonderful insight and a deep, complete understanding on the exact dynamics of their relationship.

All in all this story was a HOT, captivating, deliciously intense and descriptive tale!

If you are a fan of BDSM, this is definitely one you don't want to miss!
on December 19, 2011
If there's one thing Rachel Haimowitz knows how to write, it's hot BDSM. But this book's a lot more than that. Devon and Nicky will work their way under your skin and not only make you sweat, but make you CARE. These characters felt so real to me, I half-expected to run into them on the street the next day. Here's hoping Haimowitz revisits Devon and Nicky again soon - I'd love to see where their relationship takes them further on down the line.
on March 20, 2012
Rachel Hamowitz has written a terrific short novel, we are introduced to Nicky and Devon; Sub and Dom. Rachel's writing is good and the scenes were hot, I never stopped reading till I reached the last page. The book has a few hot scenes and it is a page turner, I cannot wait to read SUBlime: Collected Shorts (Master Class, #2).

Nicky is an actor and a handsome one at that, he seems to have everything going for him, but Nicky knows deep down his desire to submit is the only way he will ever feel satisfied. One night out with friends Nicky meets Devon; a strong, powerful looking man, literally Nicky cannot take his eyes of him he can feel the dominance pouring off of Devon. Nicky escapes to the washroom to get himself under control and when he looks up who is standing there but Devon. Devon cannot take his eyes off Nicky either and see's the desires and knows what Nicky needs. The force of attraction and desires between these two is off the page hot.

This is a story of two men coming together and letting go, can Nicky be the sub Devon deserves and can Nicky learn to trust and give control over completely to his Dom?

I was a bit disheartened at first reading this book as I don't agree with violence and I thought some of it was a bit too much but Devon the Dom knew he had to break down Nicky's control to give him what he really needed and knowing Nicky always had the choice to stop what was happening did make it a bit better.

Overall I have rated Master Class a 4 star rating and heat level 4. I would recommend this to any of my friends who enjoy m/m bdsm romance. ( note: there is some rough sex scenes)
on June 16, 2012
I loved it. I already read both Power Play books. There is a little of Devon and Nicky in them. But I would have like to have more of them. I read Master Class non-stop, even though at the end it was 3:00 a.m. and I had trouble keeping my head straight and my eyes opened. ;) When I read the last page, I thought "no contract? no training? Am I already dreaming or is there missing pages?". So if there is a second tome of Devon and Nicky story, please, please! tell me.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
If you love hot man on man sex, than this is the book for you. If you want a little more emotion and heart and story behind all that hot sex, then you may want to skip this one because it seemed like it fell a little short in that area.

There is some back story to this, but I needed it to delve deeper to truly satisfy. BUT the book on the sexual side is definitely hot....
on November 23, 2015
I devoured this book. I could not put it down. It is masterfully written (pardon the pun) with thoughtfully developed characters and a good balance between the drama, sex and bdsm elements.
on December 16, 2011
I was Sooo disappointed. It was maybe 4 to 6 chapters and it was over. Sooo NOT worth it. Really upset and I do not understand the previous reviews. VERY mis leading. Even if this is a prequel it was POORLY done. Story what story? I would like my money back.
0Comment3 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse