4.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Kid's Movie!
Published on September 3, 2002 by Steven Laine

1.0 out of 5 stars A Close Approximation to What Life in the Underworld Will Be Like
Despite the fact that MASTER OF DISGUISE has an 80 minute run-time, it is actually quite less if you cut out all of the "extra" garbage they give you during the credits. Yet, despite the fact that the actual film is something like 65 minutes, I barely managed to get through it. It is a strange phenomenon: all that a film has to do is entertain me (reasonably) for an...
Published on October 25, 2005 by Daniel R. Sanderman

4.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Kid's Movie!, September 3, 2002
Steven Laine (Pleasanton, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I read all the horrible reviews in the newspapers, but went anyway when the temperature got over 100 and there was nothing else to take the kids (4, 9,10) to see. I'd have to say all the reviewers missed the point of this movie. It's a wonderful movie for the right audience; kids about 12 and under. I guess that many people see Dana Carvey's name and expect to find a movie targeted to the Wayne's World/ Austin Powers demographic but that simply is not the case. The kids were laughing out loud many times during the movie and the end credits. The story is easy enough to follow, the humor in not too cruel or scatological, and the jokes are right up a kid's alley.
I think the filmmakers blew it a bit in the trailers for the flick. Too many adults went expecting this would be for them, but come to think of it, the only time I saw previews for this was during movies for kids. Dads, take your younger children and they'll have a great time. My 4 year olds favorite part was the way the evil villain kept ending his devious laugh. It made me laugh too.

5.0 out of 5 stars got milk?, January 29, 2003
MRCarter "MRCarter" (LOS ANGELES, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Master of Disguise (DVD)
"Master of Disguise" is not a GREAT MOVIE.
I understand if people don't like it.
It is surreal and you never know what is going to happen in the very next minute.
It is ridiculous, confusing, fast paced, downright stupid, and childish.

These are the things that made me love it.

Dana Carvey has made a crazy movie for kids who love absurd humour.
If you remember making up stories with your siblings or friends, stories that made you shoot milk out your collective noses - but made your parents roll their eyes because you were "acting silly" - then you will understand "Master of Disguise".

I can't remember the last time I laughed this hard in a movie theatre. I couldn't breathe at certain points. I should warn you, in a theatre full of kids and adults I was 1 of only 3 people laughing. (No, I wasn't stoned or drunk).

This is a movie made with Dana's kids in mind.
I enjoyed it as if I was 7 years old again.
I hope this movie has a long life on video.
I hope you laugh until milk shoots out your nose.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great kid's movie and parent's guilty pleasure, February 4, 2003
This review is from: Master of Disguise (DVD)
I had heard horrible reviews about this movie constantly, but my kids and I laughed so hard at the previews we just had to watch it. I am a HUGE Dana Carvey fan, but I was worried that this would be a 2 hour long fart and stupid joke fest. I was sure that there would be mild profanity, and that is the main reason I was leary about having my kids watch it. We never saw it in the theatre, but rented the DVD. We all (including mom) laughed so hard we were sick. It is totally CLEAN!!!! Except for the "little weiner and tiny nuts" part which is so mild and hysterically funny. We have watched this over and over and still belly laugh over every funny part (even the farts that I was dreading). I am so disappointed that this didn't do so well on the theatres. I hope there is a sequel!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Gift to Parents with Children, February 6, 2003
Timothy C. Hall (Milwaukee, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Master of Disguise (DVD)
Who cares about the attributes that film critics look for when you and your kids are laughing like idiots together? If you and your kids like absurd, physical, slapstick humor, this movie is like a gift from heaven. My thanks to Dana Carvey for this gem. I and my boys (ages 8, 6 and 4) had a rollicking good time throughout this film...

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie for the Younguns, February 15, 2003
Amy Stanfield (Rome, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Master of Disguise (DVD)
I enjoy Dana Carvey's work. When my boys ages 5,7,9 saw the previews of this movie they HAD to see it. I was a little disappointed as an adult who is used to Dana Carvey on SNL. But I was amazed that there wasnt ONE, not ONE curse word or profanity of any kind in the entire movie. Some of the simplest scenes were hilarious while some of the more elaborate were a yawn. If you have children, ages 4-12, they will LOVE this movie. I couldnt wait to get it on DVD. Well done for the younger set.

5.0 out of 5 stars A "Shut-your-brain-off" Comedy, February 13, 2003
This review is from: Master of Disguise (DVD)
Master of Disguise is not for everyone. If you are in to sophisticated comedy...look elsewhere. This is complete "stupid funny" comedy, if you don't like that, don't bother watching this. However, if you are in to movies like "Galaxy Quest" or "Mystery Men" then give this one a shot. Carvey does hilarious impressions of a lot of well-known people, and that in itself is funny, who needs a solid plot or Oscar-worthy acting? Sit back, forget the work day, and enjoy a good laugh...just remember to shut off your brain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Taking things too literally, August 31, 2003
This review is from: Master of Disguise (DVD)
Some of you ADULT reviewers sound like you're trying to rate a KIDS movie like it's aimed at adults. Don't tell me you forgot what it was like being a kid. Carvey was doing something for the kids for a change, and did them quite a favor. If I would have seen this at, say, age 8, I would've laughed myself into a coma. I'm grown up and I still got a bang out of it, but that's me. Although I am proud of the reviewers that did take thier minds off themselves and consider the children. For the rest, try entering things with a clear mind, you may find yourselves not so quick to pass judgements.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pistachios Never Tasted Better, September 12, 2002
Dana Carvey's whimsical portrayal of the sweet, numbed-minded Pistachio Disguisey was, at best, amazing. His never-ending sense of satire and imitation was stretched to its limits, helping Carvey to pull off a beautiful portrayal of the idiot savants in the world. It is his first movie since 1994's "Clean Slate" and a bout with cancer, and he proved that he can still have fun that he loves to make others laugh.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for all, breaks the mold, November 7, 2003
This review is from: Master of Disguise (DVD)
Finally, a break from the let's-make-money-so-don't depart-from-the-formula films for kids featuring super evil characters, fractured families, and redundant plots. Dana Carvey comes to the rescue! No worries here--completely succeeds for families and children (and it says so right on the box, folks, even a Canadian-G rating). It's not deep, but plenty of creative laughs. We only hope more movies like this are forthcoming and this venture doesn't get critiqued into submission. Carvey's legend grows.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Dana and Great Fun, September 6, 2003
This review is from: Master of Disguise (DVD)
My children (8 and 10) both enjoyed this film - and so did I. The great references to classic films has spawned a kind of mini film festival in our house. They now know about Jaws and other great films made before they were born.
Dana Carvey has had trouble finding a good vehicle that lets him express his incredible comedic talent; maybe there will be better ones, but my kids and I enjoyed this one.

Master of Disguise
Master of Disguise by Perry Andelin Blake (DVD - 2003)
$10.09