Published on May 15, 2012 by P. Scott Pope

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked great for a month
Never changed the pass code, one day it would not close to lock my Vespa. I took it in the house, set my code and it locked. However, it then wouldn't re-open. Thank God I didn't have my scooter locked! I have always been a Master Lock fan, however I sure was disappointed with this one.
Published 13 months ago by Barber

4.0 out of 5 stars IMPRESSIVE combination lock - one of the most secure combination locks on the market, May 15, 2012
This review is from: Master Lock 1177D ProSeries Resettable Combination Lock (Tools & Home Improvement)
After witnessing so many people being victimized by inexpensive Master combination locks, I embarked on an extensive research project, evaluating products from Sargent & Greenleaf, Abloy, Master, Sesame, Sobo and Abus. In general, high security padlocks come in the keyed variety. So, I was quite happy when the Master 1177D came onto the market. While it is a bit bulky for gym use, I find it a needed security measure.

My health club on the near north side of Chicago experienced so many locker thefts, I decided to invest in the best padlock I could find. This turned out to be unreasonable, because Sargent & Greenleaf makes a high security padlock that retails for near two thousand dollars (not a misprint) designed to DOD specifications. Engineered to thwart freeze attacks and diamond-edge saws, it represents the state of the art. By contrast, the Master 1177D provides a high level of security at a bargain price. In fact, this appears to be the most theft resistant combination lock on the market that can fit into the 3/8" hole common in gym lockers. Sobo lock once sold a more secure lock than this one but this model is no longer made. It essentially was a block of metal called a Jimmy Proof lock. This lock was much smaller than the 1177 and provided such a high level of protection because it offered little clearance for cutting tools.

The 1177 Shrouded lock major protection against a range of attacks, from crowbars to bolt cutters. This heft comes at a price as it is three times as heavy as cheap combination locks. The added weight is actually noticeable when you layer on other gym necessities.

Apart from the weight, there are a couple of concerns with the lock. The stacked rotary dials don't feel that precise. In previous locks, I have experienced alignment problems with the internal cogs. The second problem is really not something the manufacturer can address. The lock stands out compared to easy-to-defeat Master combination locks. So, thieves may REALLY want to see what is being secured by the lock. This may lead them to defeat whatever container is being secured.

Pros
Exceptionally secure shrouded combination lock
Shackle fits in 3/8" locker hasps

Cons
Heavy
Protruding edges
May attract attention
Dial mechanism not perfectly smooth

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Security, July 24, 2012
Some thief cut the Master lock which I had attached to a thick steel chain securing my yard. It's always suprising when you first learn that you have been robbed. But I started looking for another lock which would be as strong as the chain. I finally decided to select this Master Lock 1177D ProSeries. Upon arrival, I immediately noticed that the shank was much more substantial than my old lock and the shroud was higher so that it would be much more difficult to cut the lock. On the other hand, the shroud makes it difficult to attach the lock to the chain because there is less space on the shank. But, after a couple of attempts, I was able to figure out how best to attach the lock. Finally, you will have to oil the lock with wd 40 or any other lubricating oil because the shank doesnt't move in and out freely at first. This is because all parts are made with narrow tolerences as to be as theif proof as possible. There is a rubber cover for the combo numbers which will fall off with any movement so I just threw it away. Overall, a top quality lock at a great price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked great for a month, August 1, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good secure locks, October 27, 2012
Chad ""Programming is an art form that fi... (Cambridge Springs, PA, United States) - See all my reviews
I needed several locks to secure a few containers and other items in a high crime area. I didn't want key locks because they can be picked and as I needed 10 locks, Id have keys to worry about. I bought these locks and while no one has tried to get into my stuff yet, they seem to be very secure and appear to be difficult to shim. I also like that we can change the codes as we set them to match and later we can change them as the contractors complete their job. They are also corrosion resistant which is very important if you are near the sea.

The combinations are easy to change and they are easy to operate. Highly recommended if you want a secure lock, and well priced also.

Update:

1) As many others have said, the weather cover falls off easily. But its not really a big deal.

2) After ONE MONTH only at a location about 1/2 mile from sea, the shanks are already surface corroding quite a bit. Not what I expect from a corrosion resistant lock! Im covering them now with oil and will maintain them this way. Ours are used in an outdoor area, but still they shank should have been made from a different material or somehow made to resist corrosion in a "corrosion resistant" lock.

Still a good value and much better than other locks Ive tried though.

1.0 out of 5 stars easy cut off lock, combination not readable, March 24, 2013
I bought this combination lock for my safe, thinking it would be secure and easy to use.

I have returned it. The strong hardened steel was easily cut through and the combination was impossible to read, I set it and know that did not forget the number, but I could not open it and had thousands of dollars locked away, could not get them, had to hire a locksmith, paid $100, easy for him to cut the lock off the safe. I am returning the lock in the cut-through condition.

1.0 out of 5 stars Won't open. UGH should have listened to the other reviewers!, August 13, 2013
Do not buy this lock!!! Based on the positive reviews, I took a gamble; but alas, I lost. Big time.

As other reviewers have said, after only a handful of uses and less than one month, the lock won't open.

It is not user error, it is manufacturer error.

Stay away, stay far, far away.

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, February 19, 2013
Bought this product and used it twice at the gym. Left it locked for a couple of weeks and now will not open. Will probably have to have it cut off my gym locker.

4.0 out of 5 stars Masterlock 1177d, December 12, 2012
Great lock. The fact that you do not need a tool to change the combination is a huge plus. I have been using this lock for months outdoors not far from the beach and so far it has stood up to the salty air. If you plan on using a combination lock near the ocean I would always spray the lock with a hydrophobic spray like wd40 and make sure it gets all over the tumblers and in the locking mechanism (soaking) then I would grease the shackle where it enters the lock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Needs lube, February 24, 2013
Combo a lil sticky and the lock if self takes some getting used to... Numbers are in weird spot. But easy to change combo great lock for cheep over all I love it. I feel much safer!

1.0 out of 5 stars Solid feeling lock that failed to function after a very short time, August 28, 2013
Had high hopes for this lock seems like it would be a beast to break. This morning it wouldn't open. A little coaxing with a framing hammer did the trick. The lock is a paper weight now and barely 2 months old. Pretty pathetic.

Master Lock 1177D ProSeries Resettable Combination Lock