5.0 out of 5 stars PLEASE READ: Retired MMA, had to really try to bust this
I read all the reviews before I tried this product. I am very concerned and picky shopper. I thought I would give this a try. I believe the key to this product is the flooring you are using this on. The foot on the lock works excellent on title or wood. I would not recommend this product on carpet.

One key point to remember...the farther away you have the base...
Published on April 22, 2009 by Freedom2

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely useless !!
Published on March 5, 2009 by Orlando Gator

5.0 out of 5 stars PLEASE READ: Retired MMA, had to really try to bust this, April 22, 2009
This review is from: Master Lock 265DCCSEN Dual-Function Security Bar (Tools & Home Improvement)

One key point to remember...the farther away you have the base from the door the less strength it has. Try to get it between 70 degrees and 80 degrees. I was able to knock it out of place at 50 and 60. I normally do not worry about safety; however, I am a heavy sleeper. I can fend for myself but I have to hear it first. Let me know if you found this helpful!

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Cheap Door Security, October 16, 2006
With all the hype about bump keys (which basically renders most locks useless), I tried to think of something that can counter it. So far, this is the only thing that I can find short of buying a top of the line lock for a $80 - $200.

[Pro]

It's moderately effective with a low price.

It's lightweight and portable. You can bring it on trips.

It's versatile (it's adjustable and can be used on any door that swings inward and sliding doors)

This will slow down potential intruders, potentially either buying you precious extra time or alerting you.

You can use it as a makeshift bat if needed.

It has better quality than similar competitors.

[Cons]

It only slows down a potential intruder. It won't stop them. This device is common enough for them to think of ways of countering it.

The top piece that hooks into the door knob is made of cheap plastic. It will eventually break. Check it often.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall good peace o fmind., January 5, 2007
The device does what is suppose to. If someone wanted to break in the front door of our apartment they would have to kick it down... and we would actually hear it.

We were more afraid of someone "sneaking" in the place, rather than breaking in.

When it is stretched out to the fullest it seems a little flimsy.

An Added bonus is that it also works as a door stopper to hold the front door open.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Apartments, September 19, 2007
For those people who live in an apartment where they're not allowed to modify the locks on their doors, or not allowed to add a security chain or other device, this will work for you. Easy to use, and I had my 6 foot tall son try to get in the door after we had it in place, and he couldn't budge it. A good security item at a reasonable price, and it works!

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely useless !!, March 5, 2009
The silver button that locks the bar length in place slips out of the hole VERY easily, allowing the bar to collapse. I tested this bar by simply leaning with my full weight (220 lbs) on the outside of the door, and the button gave way, allowing the door to open freely. This little button BARELY makes it through the hole on the bar. Rather than return this thing, I am going to use my drill to make some modifications, and use another metal pin to lock the bar in place. Also, the foot of this thing slips pretty easily, even when moistened and pressed against a high-friction floor.

Master Lock should be very ashamed of this piece of garbage. It will negatively influence my future security purchases.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well on carpet and tile floor! Great product!, September 2, 2009
I read some of the other reviews with some of the problems. This product works well! You just have to adjust the length so that the ANGLE is what keeps the door from opening. The pad at the bottom is not meant to hold it in place, it is the angle that causes that pad to stay in place. Make it short enough to have the angle cause it to lock the door and it will work very well on both tile and carpet. It is a great additional security to any door. I use it on my doors at night for extra security. It is easy to put in a closet and out of the way when not in use. Great product and the price is good too. Ignore those who had trouble, I really think they just didn't adjust it correctly. I tried to enter the house from the outside on two doors (one carpeted floor and one tile) and found that when I got the length and angle right, that it was nearly impossible to open the door. This is a very good product and if you are considering it, buy it. If you have trouble at first, just work on the length and angle (shorter is better if it is giving you trouble) and it will work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, January 22, 2006
My brother gave me one of these a while back. It is great for sliding glass doors. There a number a holes in the unit that allow for a large number of adjustments. Once you have the best adjustment, you can lock the unit in place (and then remove it) with one lever. The feet on the end also pivot. All around a great design.

1.0 out of 5 stars If you are looking for peace of mind...look somewhere else!, January 3, 2009
Pam R. (New Jersey) - See all my reviews
I used this product for months, thinking I was secure in my home. One day, a friend came over and stated that he didn't think the product would work. He went outside and tried to shove open my door...and was inside my house in less than 5 seconds. The "security" bar had broken with a minimum of effort. You are probably better off with a chair under the door knob.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a real thing., December 26, 2009
I just bought this bar at Home Depot and tried it.I am about 200 pounds and I hit the door with 50% of forth,and it just broke.Don't rely on it.

1.0 out of 5 stars ITEM FAILED TO WORK - Door got kicked in - Security bar BROKE., December 29, 2011
I bought this after my house was broken in to. Sure enough a week later they kicked in my back door and I had this brace firmly planted so that it could not slip out and they broke it with a few good kicks to the door. The adjustable mechanism was to blame. Cheap metal construction. If the metal was thicker or harder it wouldn't have bent to let the metal positioning lock slip through. I would never buy this again. Worthless. I'm going to try to return it.

Master Lock 265DCCSEN Dual-Function Security Bar