Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Master Lock 265DCCSEN Dual-Function Security Bar
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Package Quantity: 1|Change
Price:$24.34+ Free shipping

on April 22, 2009
I read all the reviews before I tried this product. I am very concerned and picky shopper. I thought I would give this a try. I believe the key to this product is the flooring you are using this on. The foot on the lock works excellent on tile or wood. I would not recommend this product on carpet.

One key point to remember...the farther away you have the base from the door the less strength it has. Try to get it between 70 degrees and 80 degrees. I was able to knock it out of place at 50 and 60. I normally do not worry about safety; however, I am a heavy sleeper. I can fend for myself but I have to hear it first. Let me know if you found this helpful!
1818 comments|1,437 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 16, 2015
I recently moved into a new apartment. And found the deadbolt to be insufficient. I went to the hardware store looking for something to fortify the door. I ended up purchasing this product and was initially unimpressed with its design. The height is adjustable based on the doorknob height. I found that after placing this snug under door as instructions indicate I pushed from the other side and the device quickly buckled. I simply replaced the pin from the top piece with a sturdy steel bolt and put the pin at the desired height. I tried to push my way in again and it was much stronger and and easy mod. I also placed the foot of the stopper about 12 inches from the base of the door instead of the recommended 15-18 inches. The reason I did this was you want to create a 90 degree angle when looking for strength and stability. I also added a inexpensive door alarm for the base of the door that is a secondary deterrent but also allows me to know the door has been breached and when to grab Mr. 12 gauge.
review image review image review image review image
22 comments|130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon October 16, 2006
With all the hype about bump keys (which basically renders most locks useless), I tried to think of something that can counter it. So far, this is the only thing that I can find short of buying a top of the line lock for a $80 - $200.

[Bad]

It's moderately effective with a low price.

It's lightweight and portable. You can bring it on trips.

It's versatile (it's adjustable and can be used on any door that swings inward and sliding doors)

This will slow down potential intruders, potentially either buying you precious extra time or alerting you.

You can use it as a makeshift bat if needed.

It has better quality than similar competitors.

[Bad]

It only slows down a potential intruder. It won't stop them. This device is common enough for them to think of ways of countering it.

Its effectiveness is only as good as how you place it. As the top review states, try to position this bar between 70 and 80 degrees when you install it behind a door.

The top piece that hooks into the door knob is made of cheap plastic. It will eventually break. Check it often.

Another potential point of failure is the metal, pop button lock. It will also eventually wear down and break, depending on how often the device gets pressure. Check it often.

[Misc]

Yes there are now many locks that counter bump keys. However, not everyone can change their locks, especially people who live in apartments.

Most sliding doors won't need this. Modern sliding doors have a screw lock that is more effective than bars or poles.
33 comments|308 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 2, 2009
I read some of the other reviews with some of the problems. This product works well! You just have to adjust the length so that the ANGLE is what keeps the door from opening. The pad at the bottom is not meant to hold it in place, it is the angle that causes that pad to stay in place. Make it short enough to have the angle cause it to lock the door and it will work very well on both tile and carpet. It is a great additional security to any door. I use it on my doors at night for extra security. It is easy to put in a closet and out of the way when not in use. Great product and the price is good too. Ignore those who had trouble, I really think they just didn't adjust it correctly. I tried to enter the house from the outside on two doors (one carpeted floor and one tile) and found that when I got the length and angle right, that it was nearly impossible to open the door. This is a very good product and if you are considering it, buy it. If you have trouble at first, just work on the length and angle (shorter is better if it is giving you trouble) and it will work.
11 comment|139 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 19, 2007
For those people who live in an apartment where they're not allowed to modify the locks on their doors, or not allowed to add a security chain or other device, this will work for you. Easy to use, and I had my 6 foot tall son try to get in the door after we had it in place, and he couldn't budge it. A good security item at a reasonable price, and it works!
0Comment|127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon January 5, 2007
The device does what is suppose to. If someone wanted to break in the front door of our apartment they would have to kick it down... and we would actually hear it.

We were more afraid of someone "sneaking" in the place, rather than breaking in.

When it is stretched out to the fullest it seems a little flimsy.

An Added bonus is that it also works as a door stopper to hold the front door open.
11 comment|165 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 2, 2012
The bar seems reasonably sturdy except one of 2 broke in shipping.

The bar itself was intact but the foot broke where it inserts into the bottom of the bar.

I have to ask, how sturdy will this be on the door with someone kicking it if the foot breaks off in shipping.

I have contacted the seller and will see if they can send a replacement.

Note this is the bottom foot, the ground piece, not the door handle part (forked)
review image
on March 6, 2009
the metal clip within the bar that allows height adjustments broke when I tried to open a door that was secured by the bar. I'm gonna try and salvage the bar by going to Home Depot store and see if I can drill a hole all the way through the bar and place a bolt and nut in the bar to hold it in that position and to give it more strength....I would not recommend this product since it broke so easily with little effort...The product is also made in China...like everything else
on January 3, 2009
I used this product for months, thinking I was secure in my home. One day, a friend came over and stated that he didn't think the product would work. He went outside and tried to shove open my door...and was inside my house in less than 5 seconds. The "security" bar had broken with a minimum of effort. You are probably better off with a chair under the door knob.
33 comments|91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 18, 2011
This is the most ridiculous "security" device I have seen. I installed this on my door that had a vinyl tile floor in front of it. This unit slides so easily out of the way. I'm 160 lbs and I didn't even have to push very hard to overcome this stupid unit. If you want the illusion of safety, then buy this unit. But it is a false sense of security. Search for "Door Club" on Amazon for a product that actually works.