Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Color Name: Black|Change

on August 18, 2010
I disagree with reviews that say it is hard to line up the numbers and that it took them a long time to set the combination. It MAY have taken 5 minutes to read the instructions and set the combination on the first lock but I had all 7 locks that I bought done within 20 minutes and I had no problem reading the numbers even though I have a hard time reading small print and anything up close. I wouldn't put anything valuable in my checked luggage anyway so they definitely do what they are intended to do - "DETER" thieves that are looking for "EASY" access. I don't believe that they guarantee protection from dishonest or lazy TSA inspectors. They may not deserve a "5 star" rating but they deserve at least a "4 1/2" star rating for their intended use and very reasonable price. If these aren't good enough for you, you might want to consider shipping your belongings in a safe.
on March 4, 2012
I bought two of these locks for both of my suitcases. I use one of them almost daily when I go to the gym. Never have had a problem with them (14 months later).

The downside to this lock is that it does not look hefty. I imagine a bolt cutter or any decently strong tool would snap it in a second. Still, I go for the deterrence factor. My bags are not as easy to steal from with these locks on them. They are easy to open. I kind of wish it would be easier to twist sometimes (mainly for the lockers at the gym) but that is not a big deal. Small and lightweight so I store them in my backpack a lot.

Another downside is that they are TSA compatible and that is why I bought them. I have never met a TSA agent with the universal key on them. Each time I am stopped, I have been required to open the locks. I have asked on many occasions why agents cannot open the suitcase since the lock is TSA compliant but have always received the answer that the key is somewhere else and I have to open the suitcase on my own (if they want to waste my time they could at least be prepared). I bought these locks partially for the compliance so that bothers me a bit...could have gotten a sturdier lock. I have never noticed my suitcase to have been opened and would not be surprised one day if the agents cut off the locks because the infamous universal key is nowhere around.

Not a bad product, though, and it is a cinch to set the code.

UPDATE: 2.5 years later and I lost my lock. I had left it unlatched after getting something out of it in an airport and it fell off somewhere. I was SUPER bummed. I know I was hesitant in my review because of TSA. The product, though, is great. I like the sense of security when I leave my bag on the tarmac, check it in (very rarely), or leave it at a hotel (in a room or at the front desk while I explore after checking out). I purchased another lock before I had even unpacked.
77 comments|27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 12, 2008
No issues for me. I thought they served their purpose and for the price were a good deal. Yes bolt cutters could pull these apart easily but there is no luggage lock you can buy that won't do that.
on September 14, 2007
I bought this about a month ago. After about two weeks of use (on my very first trip) the lock stopped working. It was almost impossible to open it and now it won't lock anymore.
77 comments|40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 18, 2011
WARNING!!!!!!! This is serious! This product will fail. I purchased four of these locks for my overseas trip. Three of the locks have failed. Two of the locks broke as I tried to set the combination. The third lock failed on my trip. It actually reset as I was trying to put the lock back on my suitcase, unbeknownst to me. Fortunately it only took me 404 tries before I could open my suitcase again, but not really worth the hassle. I expect more for my money.
on November 5, 2010
My son picked the lock in under a minute. I was shocked and he was amused that I bought a cheap lock and expected it to be secure. I guess I won't buy a combination lock in the future. I still used the locks on international trips and they served their purpose Don't get them if you plan to leave bags unattended and want them secure.
on May 20, 2013
Worked like a charm. I used it to lock my pistol case while traveling on an airline. I would get one of these for your gun case if you are traveling by air because you don't have to stand there with a key waiting for the TSA to open you case.
on November 9, 2006
Your basic lock with no frills and, thankfully, no surprises. Went to India and back via Zurich and used them on multiple baggage. Worked fine, though one was missing when I got back to New York. Nice brushed metal finish.
on December 15, 2012
The locks are easy to code, and do the trick of preventing quick unzips of the luggage, but of the two locks like this I purchased, only one is still intact. Enough of a jolt or a twist on a luggage conveyor, and they fall apart. Either that, or the TSA couldn't find the correct key for this particular lock and decided to twist it off.
I wanted a small combination lock with user-settable combination that fits the Pelican 1450 and 1500 waterproof cases. These locks do the job very nicely. They appear to be well made and it is very easy to set the combination. My only complaint about these locks was the packaging; it was quite difficult to extract the lock from the plastic bubble container.

Recommended. RJB.