4.0 out of 5 stars Good theft deterrent, but not very secure
Published on March 24, 2008 by Mark Louie

3.0 out of 5 stars don't stay locked!
Out of the 4 locks I made it home with one of them! The locks don't hold up and end up opening by themselves. Three ended up coming unlocked and falling off in transport at different times, only one made it back but barely in tact! I expected more from the company but it seems very useless, I could even open them with another lock's key!
Published on July 8, 2011 by ac63623

4.0 out of 5 stars Good theft deterrent, but not very secure, March 24, 2008
This review is from: Master Lock 4683Q TSA-Approved Nickel Keyed Alike Luggage/Baggage Lock, 4-Pack, colors may vary (Tools & Home Improvement)
I recently traveled internationally and had to check 3 bags so I figured a 4-pack of TSA-approved, keyed alike Master locks was my best bet. I'm constantly unlocking and relocking my luggage because I always relock my luggage before leaving the hotel room, so having one key open all of my luggage was very convenient. My only complaint is that these locks aren't as secure as I'd expected from a keyed Master lock. Two security-related reasons that influenced me to purchase these locks are: 1) Master is well known for making quality locks. 2) I wanted keyed lock because I figured it's harder for someone to pick a keyed lock than it is for someone to roll through the combinations. To make a long story short, I accidentally lock the key inside my luggage. That's when I realized the drawback of having one key for 3 bags. I was getting ready to cut the luggage lining when, to my surprise, I was able to open the lock by pulling the lock's shackle with the index finger of my left hand and the lock's body with the index finger of my right hand (yes, I have small hands). The point is it's not very hard to break the lock open. This is great news if you accidentally lose your key or lock the key inside your luggage, but it also means other people can get into your luggage just as easily. I should also mention that while the lock will continue to function after being forced open it may be less secure. I lost my lock on my return flight and I'm guessing that it opened and fell off when the luggage handlers were transporting or loading my bag.

All in all, these locks are great theft deterrents but don't expect high security from such small locks. Likewise, don't expect too much from any luggage lock (like I did); they're all just theft deterrents.

5.0 out of 5 stars TSA approved, February 17, 2007
Recently received my locks and had the chance to use them. I was asked by TSA agent if I had locks on my luggage? My reply was "yes,approved by TSA"

Agent replied "great we can handle that if needed ". Upon arriving at my destination hotel,I unlocked/opened my luggage. Inside one was a tag from TSA saying my bag was opened and inspected. Lock was replaced on luggage. I really felt secure that I was able to lock my checked luggage and would have no issues/problems with TSA if needed to be opened. Wish I knew sooner that these locks were available from Master Lock. Great product and looks good.

5.0 out of 5 stars TSA APPROVED BAGGAGE LOCK, January 9, 2007
I got the master lock keyed alike 4 pack and was very satisfied because I was able to check my baggage without any hassle or delay. When I arrived at my destination I found that they were still secure, while some other passengers who did not use TSA approved locks were cut to be inspected.

3.0 out of 5 stars don't stay locked!, July 8, 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars The only travel lock to buy, September 4, 2007
I bought two packages of these locks before I went on vacation last month. And had no problems. These are the only locks I will buy from now on. The quality and price make these locks #1.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected from Master, July 21, 2011
The build quality of these locks are rather poor. One lock opened with a little tug. Another lock would only open with one of the four included keys. The locks are small and flimsy. I'd suggest you try to find another lock.

2.0 out of 5 stars 2 out of the 4 locks are garbage, March 1, 2012
I wanted TSA approved, durable locks for my luggage, so I chose the brand that I trust, Master Lock. These locks are extremely flimsy and are a shade better than those cheap little luggage locks that come with cheap luggage. This set comes with 4 master locks with 4 keys. 2 of the 4 locks work ok. The locking mechanism has a very rough action and sometimes when the key is inserted it doesn't turn. I even tried to lubricate the locks with lubricant that is made for locks but it didn't help as much as I thought it would. One of the locks broke immediately out of the box and doesn't lock anymore. A second lock seized on the first key turn.. Glad I tried these out before I put them on my luggage. These locks should not be carrying the Master Lock name as they are pretty cheap and flimsy.. I'm sure there are better locks out there for the same price or less.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but small, August 23, 2007
These locks work great, and what's best is that they're TSA approved. The master lock was also really good, because it meant i could lose the other four and still be able to open my luggage. The only thing that I didnt' particularly like was that they were really small, so they were easy to lose, but that problem can be avoided by attaching them to a keychain

1.0 out of 5 stars Am I cursed?, October 9, 2010
I returned The Masterlock combination set of four 2 weeks ago because 1 of 4 didn't work and was thus damaged. So.... I decided to go simple & ordered this keyed set. As Cheezy says, 1 of 4 again didn't work. What is is with the Masterlock Corp? Do they have something against me---or are 25% of their products made by chimpanzees? I'm not returning this pack for another 75% refund---it's not worth it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average but not great, February 1, 2012
While these locks were indeed TSA certified, the quality is very lacking. After two uses of the four locks, only two are functional. My gun cases take two locks per case. After the first trip with the locks, one lock disappeared in transit. I was left with three locks. After a second use of the locks, one lock will no longer lock properly.

These are cheap, but required by the TSA. Don't expect them to last.