Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Color Name: Assorted Colors|Change

on September 15, 2012
I traveled to China with this lock on my luggage and it worked exactly how I expected it to. If you are like me, you want to lock you luggage to know that it was not tampered with when you leave it with the flight crew, or leave it all day in a hotel when the cleaners come in. This lock is perfect for those reasons, and it opens and closes quickly and easily.

No one expects to buy a luggage lock that cannot be broken, right? Anyone who wants to get into your luggage will just as easily brake the zipper before breaking the lock. I really want a simple way of knowing if someone went into my luggage without permission. That way I can hold the airport or the hotel accountable if it occurred while in their possession. And this lock is perfect for those needs. Plus it was very easy to lock and unlock with no need for holding onto a key. Very good lock.

Also it is TSA certified which if you do not know what that means I suggest visiting their site by googling tsa locks; and it is the link that says - TSA: AIR TRAVEL

Please let me know if this was a helpful review for you!
66 comments|277 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 4, 2011
Very easy to set the combination and fit our filmgear pelicases very well. They withstand the rigours of travel - US and international - very well and I've never had one lost thru handling anywhere in the world. Sadly, TSA are not so rigorous at fitting them back on a case after checking - and they check our bags all the time. So I have to travel with several spares, preset to the combination.
The red color stands out well and makes the padlock easier to find in a cramped hotel room during packing, when all the gear is scattered around the floor.

In the past I've had types with rigid locks instead of this flexible cable type - they got knocked off the cases almost every trip - these ones can take a hit and have a little 'give' so withstand baggage handling much better.

We travel every couple of weeks - so these have had a pretty good field test - most recently in Germany, Sweden, England, Spain, Denmark and Italy. No problems with security there either - so don't be put off for international travel where foreign versions of TSA don't have the access key.

Just make sure you buy extras...

UPDATE:
So a year later - and still going strong - despite some very heavy use. No issues at all - and it's not often you can say that about anything these days. And to add to their international travels, these have now covered Canada, Australia, Switzerland, Holland as well.

So good in fact that I have just bought more for extra cases.
33 comments|141 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 17, 2010
This is the best lock out there in my experience. We had 2 bags that were checked in at the Johannesburg airport. Someone tried to get into both bags. They easily broke one of our brand new locks which was a different model. We found that other lock inside its ravaged suitcase (and many items were stolen from that bag). By contrast, this particular Master Lock had numerous cut marks on it, but it held up well and did not break. This model of Master Lock combines a metal shell and heavily twisted wires in a way that makes it withstand assaults very well.
44 comments|267 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 2, 2011
This little lock is amazing! It is extremely secure and very hard to bust without looking obvious.

I ordered two. One to use and the second to test...

During the test I found that if you try to use wire cutters on the wire, you will be twisting and gripping your hardest for at least a good 10 minutes just to get through. My next test was the sledge hammer. I nailed this lock repeatedly. All I did was jame the rollers so that the numbers could not be moved anymore. But still the lock NEVER let go.

Get this lock. You will be very secure and able to have peace at mind with whatever you have locked up.
22 comments|85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 8, 2011
This lock can be opened in seconds by anyone without a tool. Find some good light and take a look in the crack above the numbers. Spin the dial until you see a notch on the silver bar in the crack. Line each one up with the dots and there you go. I don't expect a lock like this to be extremely good, but this is just ridiculous. Unfortunately I leave on a very long trip tomorrow and don't have time to find something different.
2424 comments|300 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 13, 2011
This lock would never deter a determined thief as the thin cable would not hold up to a heavy duty wire cutter, but it works good to stop nosy opportunists on luggage while traveling.

The number wheels turn with a fluid and positive motion so it's easy to set the combination.

There are a couple of white dots between the wheels to help you make positive identification when setting the combination to open it.

It is TSA compatible and the cable is enclosed in plastic so will not be abrasive to your luggage.

Being a cable rather than a metal bar it gives you additional flexibility in what you can attach it to.
on April 21, 2011
We bought two of these, one for my wife, and one for my suitcase for a cruise we recently went on. They survived the trip, and worked great.

Unfortunately, many suitcase designers forget that folks might like to lock their luggage, and for some reason do not use those zipper heads that have the built-in lock clip. Our suitcases are lacking those zipper heads, so we have to run the lock through the zipper handle.

And with our suitcases, we have 3 compartments that need to be locked. One compartment is locked with a standard luggage lock, as we can put the lock under a strap to protect the zipper handles from damage should they bang up against anything (the suitcases are High Sierra duffels).

However, the other two zippered compartments, when using standard locks, didn't fit the zipper handles well (they looked to be fancy designer zippers), so they resulted in the handles sticking out - which said to me - I am waiting to be broken.

The solution we found was to use one of these locks. We could thread the lock's cable through both sets of zipper handles, and lock them without any of the handles sticking out (the zippers were close enough at one spot on the luggage to do this).

The cable for the lock is about 3.5" long, and the head of the cable is small enough that it will fit through most zipper heads.
on October 25, 2014
It works exactly as advertised. I bought it to lock my leather messenger bag to keep my tablet and phone safe while i'm at work. It fits easily through the small metal piece that holds the zipper to the bag (i'd say the hole is about 1/2"), then I connect the lock to the metal on the shoulder strap. I would buy a couple of these and keep them in the drawer just in case I ever need a simple flexible lock.
review image
on November 26, 2014
My item broke within a year because of 2 plastic luggage tags that, over time, wore through all the metal strands! Ridiculous in my opinion - I will not be buying this model again and I shared a picture of what happened to my lock with all my traveling friends and colleagues.
review image
22 comments|69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 19, 2010
Lets be real here. If a pro-thief wanted to break into luggage locks, he can easily do so and nip the shackle or the flimsy zipper with simple tools. All these luggage locks do is just deter the casual thief to snoop towards a more unsafe luggage without lock. While the coated cable isn't as strong as the steel shackle, I do like how the cable is more flexible, LARGER and less likely to do damage or bend the zipper. Another thing that I like about this lock is that it has a combination and it is so easy to set your combination. No way did I want to carry another key around especially if I were to lose a tiny key. Another good thing is that it's TSA certified so they shouldn't be cutting your locks at the airport. As for no TSA signal indicator where it tells you when a TSA agent opens it... Not a big deal. I hope that I can trust TSA agent not stealing anything. Negative thing that kinda bothers me is that it is only 3 number combination lock. I think 4 numbers may have been better because of more possible combinations but I doubt many thiefs would go the guessing combination route.

And to the people who use luggage locks for gym lockers... Don't use measly luggage locks because they are far weaker than the thicker shackle locks. It's called luggage lock for a reason. Don't use the regular dial combination locks either because they can be picked with piece of aluminum. Get the masterlock speed dial combination lock! It is great and stronger than the other locks.