4.0 out of 5 stars Good - but buy more...
Published on March 4, 2011 by D. J. Haynes

3.0 out of 5 stars Good product, didn't last long.
Bought this for a trip to mexico. Held up great! Very easy to use and to set the combination.

Published on June 20, 2012 by Lindsey

4.0 out of 5 stars Good - but buy more..., March 4, 2011
This review is from: Master Lock 4688DRED TSA Accepted Cable Luggage Lock, Red (Tools & Home Improvement)
Very easy to set the combination and fit our filmgear pelicases very well. They withstand the rigours of travel - US and international - very well and I've never had one lost thru handling anywhere in the world. Sadly, TSA are not so rigorous at fitting them back on a case after checking - and they check our bags all the time. So I have to travel with several spares, preset to the combination.
The red color stands out well and makes the padlock easier to find in a cramped hotel room during packing, when all the gear is scattered around the floor.

In the past I've had types with rigid locks instead of this flexible cable type - they got knocked off the cases almost every trip - these ones can take a hit and have a little 'give' so withstand baggage handling much better.

We travel every couple of weeks - so these have had a pretty good field test - most recently in Germany, Sweden, England, Spain, Denmark and Italy. No problems with security there either - so don't be put off for international travel where foreign versions of TSA don't have the access key.

Just make sure you buy extras...

UPDATE:
So a year later - and still going strong - despite some very heavy use. No issues at all - and it's not often you can say that about anything these days. And to add to their international travels, these have now covered Canada, Australia, Switzerland, Holland as well.

So good in fact that I have just bought more for extra cases.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Little Lock!, October 2, 2011
EiNST3iN (Indianapolis, IN) - See all my reviews
This little lock is amazing! It is extremely secure and very hard to bust without looking obvious.

I ordered two. One to use and the second to test...

During the test I found that if you try to use wire cutters on the wire, you will be twisting and gripping your hardest for at least a good 10 minutes just to get through. My next test was the sledge hammer. I nailed this lock repeatedly. All I did was jame the rollers so that the numbers could not be moved anymore. But still the lock NEVER let go.

Get this lock. You will be very secure and able to have peace at mind with whatever you have locked up.

4.0 out of 5 stars sturdy little lock, November 28, 2010
I purchased two of these locks for a five-week trip through several countries, and they both withstood being dragged about and opened frequently fairly well. I like the combination feature because it kept me from having to keep track of a key. I never felt like my locks were in danger of breaking.

the lock on my suitcase, which was opened about once a day, did not suffer any damage (other than some paint chipping), but the one on my backpack, which was opened many times a day, did start to show some wear where the cable attaches to the lock. the plastic coating over the cable started to come loose and created kind of a kink in the cable. I don't see this affecting the lock's performance anytime soon, but it did make opening and closing a little less easy.

overall, highly recommended for a sturdy little lock without the hassle of a key.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fine., April 21, 2011
We bought two of these, one for my wife, and one for my suitcase for a cruise we recently went on. They survived the trip, and worked great.

Unfortunately, many suitcase designers forget that folks might like to lock their luggage, and for some reason do not use those zipper heads that have the built-in lock clip. Our suitcases are lacking those zipper heads, so we have to run the lock through the zipper handle.

And with our suitcases, we have 3 compartments that need to be locked. One compartment is locked with a standard luggage lock, as we can put the lock under a strap to protect the zipper handles from damage should they bang up against anything (the suitcases are High Sierra duffels).

However, the other two zippered compartments, when using standard locks, didn't fit the zipper handles well (they looked to be fancy designer zippers), so they resulted in the handles sticking out - which said to me - I am waiting to be broken.

The solution we found was to use one of these locks. We could thread the lock's cable through both sets of zipper handles, and lock them without any of the handles sticking out (the zippers were close enough at one spot on the luggage to do this).

The cable for the lock is about 3.5" long, and the head of the cable is small enough that it will fit through most zipper heads.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good product, didn't last long., June 20, 2012

However, on trip #2 flying from TPA to ORD, the lock went missing. Don't know why. I thought the cable was pretty strong, enough to hold up through the luggage roller coaster. I'd have to guess that TSA douches went through my bag and didn't put the lock back on. As another reviewer noted: "Sadly, TSA are not so rigorous at fitting them back on a case after checking". And that's true - you need to push the cable end into the lock and simultaneously move it to the side for it to latch in properly.

I'd say it's a good product...but not worth the cost if you need to buy spares like that other reviewed suggested. I suggest getting a lock that is easy enough for TSA to figure out.

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete waste of money, July 13, 2012
I bought this lock, so that I could keep my suitcase locked in the hotel room while I was out. Simple enough, right? Wrong. I locked it fine, once. The second time I went to use it, the end came out. Not the end that's supposed to open, but the end that's supposed to remain anchored inside the lock, thereby allowing the lock to actually lock. Cheap piece of crap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked as advertised, November 3, 2011
I bought three of these locks for a trip to egypt, for locking my luggage when on overnight trains and when I was out of my hotel room. They worked well, and I had 0 issues of them 'forgetting' the combination like some people claimed they did. I also had my luggage locked when passing through US customs and it was no issue at all.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Great, but Okay..., October 10, 2011
I bought these for a recent trip. I use a backpack style camera bag and I wanted to secure it on the plane and in the hotel room. Traditional luggage locks don't work because the zippers don't have little holes in the ends to put a lock through. I like these because the cables go through the narrow openings at the base of the zipper where the tabs attach so it's a little more secure and it's flexible enough to be used in other situations with tricky lock locations.

The only bad thing is the little numbers for the lock combination are finicky and you sort of have to jiggle them to get them to work properly. I had one that took quite some time to get undone and almost got to the point of cutting the lock off. When we got back from the trip, I just threw them away as I don't trust the lock mechanism to be accurate enough.

Get one with a key if you can.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great!, March 6, 2014
I've used this product on multiple trips and will be purchasing more for future trips.

Pros:
Fits all of the suitcases I've used it on
Adheres to TSA standards (they've had no trouble removing the lock and then placing it back on)
Provides some peace of mind

Cons:
I wish it was just a bit smaller - I worry about it getting caught on something and ripping off

1.0 out of 5 stars Could not open lock from the get-go, March 6, 2013
This lock was obviously a returned unit when I received it as the blister packaging had been cut. I took the lock out of the packaging, read the instructions, and was unable to unlock the cable using the preset code. I did not have time to return the lock and "try again" as I was leaving on my trip within a couple of days. Went to Wal-Mart and purchased a TSA approved padlock with keys for half the price. Live and learn in the school of hard knocks!

Rate and Discover Movies