5.0 out of 5 stars Works great for my gym locker
I have used this lock for several years for the locker at my gym. We don't have permanent lockers, so I need to bring a lock each time I go for whatever locker I wind up with; unfortunately I sometimes forget to bring the lock home with me, so I am now on my fourth lock in three years. But each time I buy this lock. Here is why.

1. It is very easy to set your...
Published on January 30, 2011 by Stephen M. Charme

1.0 out of 5 stars Decoration only
Published 5 months ago by Rich

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great for my gym locker, January 30, 2011
This review is from: Master Lock 653D Set-Your-Own-Combination 2-inch Padlock, 1-Pack - Colors May Vary (Tools & Home Improvement)

1. It is very easy to set your combination. I read a negative review complaining that it is difficult to do so, but that is just not true. The directions are clear and easy to follow.

2. I like having the numbers on the side rather than on the bottom, especially when I have to use a locker in the bottom row close to the floor; I can still easily open the lock without having to flip it up.

3. Let me address two criticisms that I have read. First, to use this lock you first have to line up the numbers of the four digit combination that you have chosen to open it. I'm not sure why that is a problem since that is standard on every kind of set your own combination lock that I have owned--ski locks, bike locks, gate locks etc. Second, this lock does not lock by clicking the shaft into place; rather, once the shaft is in place after you line up the four numbers of your combination, this does not lock until you turn at least one wheel so your combination is no longer showing. I actually find that to be a benefit, since it means that you can't lock this lock with your combination showing.

4. It is very easy to spin the wheels to your four digit combination so that you can open the lock, and equally easy to spin them to a non-combination number to lock this.

5. The lock is easy to spot once I am done with my workout. It also fits compactly into my gym bag and is not heavy or bulky.

Bottom line: For the money, this lock is all that I need for the gym, and has worked well for me for years. I just have to do a better job of remembering to bring it home with me.

Update January 4, 2013: Still using this lock for my gym locker. So much easier to use than the round dial lock that I used to use.

Update February 26, 2014: Still using this lock at the gym and have experienced NO problems of any kind using it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy Enough, Once I Figured It Out, January 4, 2013
Length:: 2:38 Mins

Master Lock 653D / B000ZOUB5A

I purchased this lock because it was the cheapest shackle-combination (i.e., just line the numbers up) on Amazon. I'm not unhappy with it, but I do have to say that the lock isn't totally intuitive. I'm leaving a video tutorial here because it took me awhile to understand the included instructions.

1. Setting the combination: The lock comes pre-set to 0000. Line up the shackles so that 0000 is what you see through the side color window. Then open the lock. There are two indentions cut into the lock body surrounding the metal shaft -- one is at the 9-o'clock position and one is at the 6-o'clock position. Turn the lock shaft so that the prong on the metal shaft lines up with the indention at the 6-o'clock position. Press the shaft down into the lock, and then continue turning the shaft to the right until you feel it lock into place. Now whatever numbers you set will be the new combination.

2. Closing the lock: This lock is weird in that the combination must be set to the correct/open position before you can close the lock. So you have to line up the dials to the combination, then close the lock, then hold it closed while you move the shackles away from the combination. Once the combination isn't showing in the window anymore, then the lock holds and doesn't come open. This kind of startled me the first time, because it wasn't what I was used to with my last combination lock.

This is a good work-a-day lock and it will do the trick for a gym locker. I'm not thrilled at having to have the combination in place before being able to lock it; it's kind of an awkward operation, and it also means that anyone else in the room has a chance to glimpse the correct combination when you're locking up, which I think is bad for security. But you get what you pay for, and this is a decent lock for the cheap price.

~ Ana Mardoll

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for persons with diabilities, August 23, 2008
I found this lock thru a therapist. It worked great! The combo locks were just too much for my child who is disabled. This did the trick. Sturdy, easy to set the code, easy to turn and unlock and resecure. I bought 4 and he uses them on his locker and on several other things he secures. Helped him be independent!

1.0 out of 5 stars Decoration only, April 8, 2014
Just lost everything from my gym locker. DO NOT TRUST this lock for anything you value. A quick web search shows that with firm pressure downward on the lock, a thief only need start with the bottom number first and work upwards. As the correct number is moved into alignment, the lock body will give slightly. Takes just a few seconds and you will make a thief very happy. Please consider this something to use for decorative purposes only and never to protect anything of value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid lock, October 17, 2011
Paula (California, USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this lock to replace a fourteen year old Master combination lock with a dial. The dial provides 64,000 possible combinations while this lock provides 10,000 possible combinations. I prefer the advantage of being able to choose the combination and the speed of setting the numbers on this lock. I open the lock multiple times a day every workday so even saving a few seconds each time is nice. The lock feels very solid and fits nicely on a standard locker. The dials turn very smoothly and do not stick. I prefer aligning the digits in the little windows of the colored side panel instead of against marks on the face of the lock, like other similar locks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gym lock, February 3, 2012
I purchased this to replace a lost combination lock. For a gym locker, it's perfect.

Pros:
-Easy to set a custom combination.
-The dials make it easy to quickly open and lock; much quicker than the old rotary combinations.
-The distinctive look makes it easy to spot my place in the locker room.

Cons:
-Definitely as unsecure as any padlock; someone determined & knowledgeable can open these in seconds. For a gym locker it's perfect, but I would not use it for storage that had to be secure.
-It would be nice to be able to pick the lock color.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, February 14, 2013
This lock is exactly what I needed. Fits in a standard locker setting (big deal) and is easy to operate. I hate those old school twist locks..

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gym lock, hard to crack, September 27, 2012
Sean (ROCHESTER, NY, United States) - See all my reviews
Programming my combo into this lock couldn't be any easier, and it has a very secure way to do this. It is the perfect size for a gym locker and the dials turn easily (not to mention the lock is color coded). This lock will only open on the EXACT combination. I watched a youtube video on how to crack this lock, and the method used in the video does not work on my lock.

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't open after setting combination - but easy to pick, May 12, 2013
I followed the instructions to set the combination but I could not re-open the lock after setting the correct combination. I found a Youtube video that describes how to pick this lock and it was easy to open the lock without knowing the combination. It turns out that the lock does not correctly set it's combination. One of the numbers had to be turned halfway to open the lock. For example, if you set the combination to 1-2-3-4 you may have to enter 1-2-2.5-4 to open the lock. That doesn't sound like a big deal, but it's not easy to figure out without picking the lock as per the Youtube video. Without that knowledge, you'd be stuck. One way to reduce this problem is to set the same combination several times and exercise the hasp up and down many times between settings. This may "wear" the lock's internal mechanism a bit and allow it to open when the right combination is set. If you don't already have this lock, I suggest you buy another lock. This lock is not worth the frustration and is not secure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Lock, April 2, 2013
Don't like the fact that you can't choose your color from Amazon, so that's the only reason I took off a star. But in terms of the lock itself, easy and straightforward to set up. Seems reliable. Great for the gym.

$13.99 $11.91