Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Master of Puppets
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on September 2, 2000
Master of Puppets is considered by many critics as well as many fans as Metallica's magnum opus. The intricate guitar interplay on this album especially noted on Master of Puppets and Orion deserves the remastering techniques of DCC. I live for recordings like these that can push my system to the absolute limits. The clarity of Hammet's guitar and the clear fat bass of Ulrich's kickdrum can bring tears to your eyes played through an audiophile-grade system. The only flaw on this album is the noise floor. Because the album was recorded in analog, this defect is inescapable; however, the overall quality of the disc warrants this purchase. Even non-audiophiles should appreciate this disc.
on May 17, 2003
People often underestimate Metallica...Another thing I don't get is the unintelligent image that people often associate with Metallica, a bunch of mindless heagbangers with tedious lyrics and no music ability.
This critics obviously have never listened to Master of Puppets, the greatest piece of rock ever established. Every one of these songs is a masterpiece, crafted brillantly with the talented bunch of musicians that form Metallica, James Hetfield, Lars Ulrich, Kirk Hammett, and the late Cliff Burton.
What I love is how the music in this album flows so well. Solos are all orchestrated to fit the mood of each song, especially in songs such as Master of Puppets and Disposable Heroes.
Battery: Great speed metal song that opens with spanish guitars, I actually prefer the S&M version. 10/10.
Master of Puppets: One of the most brillant Metallica songs, metaphorically referring to the evils of drug addiction. Really showcases Metallica's musical ability. 10/10
The thing that should not be: Great song that sounds like it came from a horror movie. Once again, I prefer the S&M version.
10/10
Sanitarium (welcome home): A lot lighter than the other songs on this cd, but still brings us to a great conclusion, making this song complete. 10/10
Disposable Heroes: Along with Leper Messiah, my favorite song on this cd. Very anti-war, suggests that war destroys a person's life. Speed metal never sounded so good. 10/10
Leper Messiah: Refers to corrupted people in religion (such as the 700 club) who use religion just to get people's money. I think they got this idea from the indulgences that were sold in the ancient church. Still, angst filled, brillant emotional lyrics, great musicmanship. 10/10
Orion: Instrumental, highlights the abilities of Cliff Burton, who we will all miss. 10/10
Damage Inc.: Why not a little speed metal to end this masterpiece? Refers to senseless violence, another track that hooks you. 10/10
on July 26, 2000
Well, here it is folks - the greatest heavy metal album of all time. You may not agree with me completely on that one, but I'm willing to bet that anyone who considers themselves a metal fan would at least include this album in their top 5 favorites of all time. Any how could they not? Master of Puppets is one of those rare gems that grips you tightly from the opening of the first track and holds on relentlessly until all 8 of the masterpieces are finished.
Everything that defines the genre is here: crunchy guitars, breakneck tempos, furious drum beats and burning guitar solos. What sets this recording apart from the others however (particularly from those of the 80's when this was released), is the undeniable quality of the writing, Hetfield's characteristically angry but melodic and never-cheesy-sounding vocals, and the wide range of dynamic levels covered; everything from roaring and explosive, to soft and melancholy.
The truth is that I can't possibly say too many great things about this recording... So the bottom line? Master of Puppets is an absolute masterpiece and represents Metallica at their most ferocious and creative best. If you consider yourself even the tiniest of heavy rock music fans, and particularly if you are familiar with Metallica's more recent works but not their earlier stuff, you need to do yourself the favor of picking this classic album up right now. I promise that you won't regret it.
on July 7, 2004
I have all of the Metallica CDs but Kill Em' All and St. Anger. But, I think even if I got them, they wouldn't be able to live up to the powerful Master of Puppets. Master of Puppets is my favorite Metallica album (with Load and Ride the Lightning as a close second). Every song on this album is perfect. Starting off with Battery, its slow, acoustic beginning, slowly getting faster and louder until Kirk is strumming out the riffs and James is yelling his angry lyrics. Next is my favorite song, Master of Puppets. Now, it's not my favorite Metallica song (One and Fade to Black are), but it is definatly one of my favorites. The riffs and the guitar solo in it are amazing. Sanitarium is also another one of my favorites. The song is a slow and sad, yet simply amazing ballad that builds up its energy during the chorus and the solos. The rest of the songs on this album are great too, including the instrumental, Orion (I personally think that The Call of Ktula is better). If you are a metal fan or a Metallica fan, make this one you must have's (that is, unless you haven't already gotten it!!!)
on July 30, 2000
When I put my money down for this CD, I was a bit uneasy about it because I wasn't sure how much better it would be than the original "Master of Puppets" CD, which I already own. The first thing I did was to listen to "Disposable Heroes" on the original album, and then I listened to the same song on the gold disc, and I must admit I was amazed at the superior quality. As I listened to the song I was impressed by how clear on crisp the song sounded and how glad I was I decided to get the CD. For those of you who love the album and want to hear it in the outstanding quality it was meant to be heard in, add this one to your shopping cart immediately, you will not regret it. If you are the type of person who does not appreciate good sound you may not be able to tell the difference, but a finely tuned Metallica ear will easily be able to tell this CD is worth the buck.
on December 5, 2015
I'm not going to bother reviewing the actual music itself because let's face it, this is one of the best metal albums of all time! This review is strictly for the quality and sound of the vinyl record itself.

Cover - The cover is nothing fancy. It has a satin gloss and has the standard album cover front and back.

Sleeve/Insert - Sleeve is typical white album sleeve but it also comes with a sng lyric insert with a few photos on it.

Vinyl - This is a quality vinyl album. It doesn't say it is 180g but it almost feels like it. High shine and plays well.

Sound - The album sounds great! I also own '..And Justice For All' on vinyl and this album plays a lot louder. This album really delivers in the mid range (it could just be my setup). The toms on the drum and rhythm guitar really sound amazing! It has an overall nice muddy warmth to it that really serves this album well.

Very pleased with this purchase!
review image review image review image review image
on January 8, 2007
What can I say... I am not a big fan of thrash metal... no not at all. Actually when I first heard Master Of Puppets... that was around 1987, I think... I was absolutely disgusted and my ears couldn't take it. No really. For some strange reason this is no longer true now, almost twenty years later. Perhaps I became half-deaf from all the other music but around mid 1990s I began to appreciate Metallica more, right around the time they issued S&M. Anyway, back to the review. Ride The Lightning was the breakthrough but the guys didn't perfect the art yet. On this album, only "Leper Messiah" is a throwaway, IMHO. The title track is a masterpiece, "The Thing That Shouldn't Be" is another favorite, and the ending track (which made my ears bleed in 1987) grew on me as well. The album is a very unified and consistent effort. Also, what is very important to me, you can actually listen to it - I mean both melody and lyrics. On a lot of thrash records by likes of Megadeth, Bathory etc. you cannot hear either - the metal guitar riffs are basically killing everything else (as it is probably intended for some but I am not that kinda guy).

And melody/lyrics here are pretty good... not just "for a metal album" but simply good. Title track and "Welcome Home" are the lyrical standouts of the record although the main idea is more or less the same on all the tracks.
on January 27, 2007
If you want to get into heavy metal, this is a very good starting point. All the songs are good, but I particularly like Leper Messiah, and The Thing That Should Not Be. There's nothing trendy or wussy here, just fierce, powerful, monster metal. Not for a sensitive metrosexual liberal thinking of moving to France.
on March 23, 2003
the title of my review says it all. I can still remember last summer when I got Ride the Lightning. I was really into nu metal but Lightning helped reform me (sigh). Well so much for the reminisincing. Anyway I thought nothing could top Lightning. But I was wrong when i got this masterpiece. This kicks it up another notch from Lightning. It adds a sense of melody, while still keeping it heavy. Heres a song by song review.
1.Battery-The acoustic intro is misleading. This track just hits you with such a heavy force. Lars shows off what could be some of his best drumming.
2.Master of Puppets-Its eight minutes of Kirk's best riffs. That nice melodic interlude is so wonderfully crafted. It shows how much they have matured (Load and Reload are not maturity)
3.Thing That Should Not Be-Darker, slower song. I love this song, but i tend to skip it sometimes.
4.Sanitarium-Yep Metallica can make power ballads. The lyrics really paint a picture in your mind. Kirk's opening solo shows a more mellow side of him.
5.Disposable Heroes-Eight minute war song. I cant even begin to think how they learned to play this on guitar.
6.Leper Messiah-Heavy almost anthem-like. James' voice is just booming with authority. Begins at a normal tempo ends at a quicker one.
7.Orion-Enjoyed Call of Ktulu? Youll LOVE this one. So many tempo changes i cant keep up.
8.Damage Inc.-Gotta love Cliff's haunting bass intro. That guy really had a sound of his own. Again dont be fooled. This song is even heavier and faster than Battery. The drums are awesome I dont think Lars ever topped his performance on this one.
If youre a metalhead this better be the first cd i see in your collection. Its a shame Metallica got so greedy. How id loved to have gone to school when Metallica was all about the fans. Their music had life but that life was killed in late '86 when Cliff died in a bus crash. Justice was good, Black album was average. But anything after that...well theyre rich now so they can have anything their hearts desire. But its too bad we wont get what we desire: the real Metallica. Had this been in '96 i still may have had hope, but with the Napster thing that hope is no more.
on July 23, 1999
Many people call this the best ever, and although this is definitely my favourite album of all time, im not sure it can be called the best. But i do know that there isnt anything else which is better. Its just so hard to compare this with anything else. Metallica are fast, but they aren't really true thrash, speed metalers like Slayer. Unfortunately this album didnt get the recognition it really deserved at the time of its release, but alot of that was due to other great releases around the same time, namely Slayers "Reign In Blood" and Megadeth's "Peace Sells". The one thing that sets this album so far ahead of anything else is the clever, expansive arrangements. This is real, true metal ambience. Battery is great thrash, but throw in a classical guitar intro and a little time change, and its more than just another Angel Of Death. Master Of Puppets is an interesting story on drugs, but undoubtedly the best part of the song is the introduction. For me, The Thing That Should Not Be is a real let down. It just seems Metallica have tried to write something weird and eerie sounding, and it just hasn't come. No one can sound as spine chilling as Slayer. Welcome Home follows a similar song structure to Fade To Black, and its hard to pick which is better. Disposable Heroes is fully 8 minutes long, but never gets boring. Leper Messiah is a shorter mid tempo song, but when the speed kicks in around half way through, you know you are listening to greatness. Orion is perhaps the best metal intrumental of all. Cliff Burton was sheer genius, and Orion was a true testament to his ability. His little bass solo and the guitar harmonies which follow are amazing, and are also - i believe - the high point of the album. They just seem to sum up the whole album. Damage Inc. You could not write a better finishing song. Fading in with weird guitar harmonies, the next 4 minutes will blow you away. It is perhaps the best thrash song ever, with the only songs comparable Angel Of Death and Chemical Warfare. Master Of Puppets was so revolutionary at its time, and after it a whole horde of orchestrally conceived metal albums appeared. Some were great, others were mere rip-offs, and the rest lie in mediocrity. Puppets was so influential it paved the way for a new movement of metal, perhaps the most artistically creative yet. Master Of Puppets is an album which not only belongs in every metal fans collection, but everyone who is interested in rock, or just interesting and clever music. I know of many who have been converted not only to Metallica, but to all metal after hearing this album. And there aren't many albums which will do that. This album mixes so much. The lyrics of Master Of Puppets are also great. Its such a pity that they get a bit lost in the great music. James Hetfield is really a very good lyric writer, although he doesn't get as much recognition as he deserves. After you hear this album you will most likely think, what could be better?? Hopefully i can give you a bit of direction. Any of Iron Maiden's from the debut to Somewhere In Time. Megadeth's "Rust In Peace". Slayers "Reign In Blood", "South Of Heaven" and "Seasons In The Abyss" (although many Metallica fans don't like Slayer's intense, death metal sound, but these are generally the people who think the new Metallica is better than the old :) ). Any of Iced Earth's last 3 albums. Helloween's "Keeper Of The 7 Keys" and its sequel. And last but not least, Queensryche's "Operation: Mindcrime", which is definitely right up there along side Master Of Puppets.
But, the point is, if you are interested in good music or rock, buy Master Of Puppets now!! You will not regret it. In fact, you will worship Metallica for releasing material such as this. It is absolutely phenomenal. There is nothing like and there never will be.