5.0 out of 5 stars This book was wonderful!
Published on April 15, 2002 by Kindle Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Really 3 1/2 stars -- Entertaining but not Wonderful
Published on December 12, 2004 by ellejir

3.0 out of 5 stars Really 3 1/2 stars -- Entertaining but not Wonderful, December 12, 2004
ellejir "ellejir" (Virginia, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Master of Seduction (Harper Historical Romance) (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the first book that I have read by Kinley MacGregor and I found it enjoyable but not really memorable. I am a pretty picky reader and tend to get put off by scenes and characterizations that are wildly improbable, so my problems with this book are not likely to be universal (what I mean to say is, loads of people *loved* this book, but you picky readers out there know who you are.)

I did like the character of the heroine, Lorelei Dupree, a spirited and spoiled girl from Charleston who has just gotten engaged to the man of her dreams at the beginning of the book. Lorelei is self-confident, spunky and vibrantly attractive. When her fiance, Justin, concocts a plan (a stunningly wrongheaded and improbable plan) to entrap the notorious pirate Black Jack Rhys which involves Lorelei posing as a barmaid (?? this is supposed to be in 1780 and Lorelei is a gently-bred lady????), Lorelei happily agrees and (of course) ends up being taken hostage by Black Jack.

Fortunately for Lorelei, the pirate ship is a comfortable *palace* of a vessel (with windows!! and multiple extra guestrooms!! and yummy food!! and art supplies!!!) and the pirates are perfect gentlemen. When Lorelei expresses a preference for the color yellow, her room is redecorated with yellow bedspreads and lacy curtains and YELLOW ROSES (Whaaaat????? They just *happened* to have yellow roses on a pirate vessel???) Romantic but ridiculous, in my opinion.

Captain Jack Rhys is a good hero--gorgeous and remote, damaged by his (really!) horrible childhood, he has managed to become (improbably) well-educated and wealthy. He rejects the idea of love and announces his intention to seduce the lovely Lorelei. And, well, you know where this is going, but it is pretty much fun getting there. (For those devotees of the classic pirate tale "Windflower", Jack is a bit like a grown-up Cat, but without Cat's brittle shell.)

The romance was fine and the story moved along reasonably well, although this was not a book that I stayed up all night reading. I do dislike books that break up chapters in the middle of a conversation for no apparent reason and the original cover of the book was one of the absolute *worst* (half-naked block-headed dark-haired man draped in a sheet--Jack is supposed to be a blonde hottie and I *HATE* naked men on the covers of my books!)

This was a fun (rather improbable) tale with a nice romance and a good hero and heroine. Recommended for those readers in the mood for a fluffy pirate romance.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book was wonderful!, April 15, 2002
Kindle Customer "Mimmi" (RADCLIFF, KY, United States) - See all my reviews
Lorelei Dupree has led a charmed life. She's always been the apple of the men in her life's eye-whether it's her father, her suitors, or her new fiancé. She brags that she knows how to handle any man, can make any man want her-just treat him like a dog; when he comes at your bidding, you reward him. You always speak in a gentle tone, so that he is sure to always listen closely to what you have to say, and so on...And her intended, Justin Wallingford, proves her words true. But Justin is not above using Lorelei for his own means-and he means to catch a pirate, and not just any pirate, but the notorious Black Jack Rhys.
Lorelei agrees to pose as a bar maid for Justin, to listen for any information she can gain on Black Jack. What she doesn't plan on is running into a handsome rogue with startling gray eyes that she'd gazed into only the night before-only he was someone else then. How could that be, unless HE was Black Jack?
Seeing the intelligence and knowledge that shines in Lorelei's eyes, Jack knows what he's going to have to do. There is no way around it; he'll have to kidnap her, and lure Wallingford into a trap on his territory to save her. But what Jack doesn't plan on is being lulled by her innocence and freshness, or wanting her with every breath he takes. He didn't plan on her being such a little spitfire, either, and is soon lured into a challenge-that Lorelei can win Jack's heart before he can win her body.
It was great fun reading the interaction between these two characters, who were both so sure of themselves where the opposite sex was concerned. The pace starts racing on page one, and doesn't let up. Jack and Lorelei are either at one another's throat, or having hands on one another's bodies. Things really heat up when Jack learns Lorelei has always wanted to paint, and provides paint supplies, and himself as a model. There were some laugh out loud moments with this! This book is full of fun and laughter, and sweet and poignant moments.
Kinley MacGregor never disappoints, and Master of Seduction is another wonderful read by this author. She lets us get to know the characters so well, and draws us into every nuance of the book. I just wish there had been more! I think there are some wonderful stories in the supporting characters. Maybe that is for another read! This reviewer can assure you that if you're a fan of historical romance, you will thrill yourself by picking up this read!

5.0 out of 5 stars shiver me timbers!, February 17, 2000
Black Jack Rhys is a pirate with an agenda. He wants to avoid the noose while forcing a confrontation with his mortal enemy. Enter Lorelei Dupree. Sassy, smart and too adventurous for her own good. She's engaged to the son of his nemesis and in Jack's way when he needs to escape and he knows by taking her his arch-enemy will come after them. But little does he know he has met his match in every way as he tries to seduce the Charleston Belle who vows he will go down on his knees to propose before she gives into his wicked charm.
This book is utterly delightful. I loved the play between them as each one edges closer to the other while falling hopelessly in love. Great dialogue, great characters and great fun.
Kinley MacGregor, if you read this, I want you to know I loved your book and plan on getting everything with your name on it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Seductive Here...Just a Few Gentleman Pirates..., February 16, 2006
Bridget "B.A.D.T." (Grand Rapids, Michigan) - See all my reviews
I have read a few books by Kinley MacGregor this past year. I am a long time historical romance reader - over 20 years - and am always looking for a great new author to add to my library. I have picked up a few books by KM as her reviews are always sound and readers really seem to like her. I read "Master of Desire" (so-so) and "A Pirate of Her Own" (good just not great). I picked up this third book "Master of Seduction" hoping for even better but, instead I got less than I expected. So...I think I may give up on this author as after three attempts I feel I have gotten a taste for her writing and although she has promise, it's just not enough to please a long standing reader like me. After thousands of books and hundreds of authors...you really want MORE in a romance book. KM gives but, not enough.

I am always weak when it comes to a good pirate story - they don't get written about much anymore so, I can't wait to get a book and read it. I thought "Master of Seduction" might be fun to read. Ahoy maties....looking for some high seas action! Unfortunately, this one had a pirate as the lead and pirates as the premise but, that was about it. Captain Black Jack was our hero but, he was a bit too perfect for me. Granted...he looked good in his pirate costume (often mentioned) and his flowing golden locks and deep tan and spell binding eyes but...that was it. He seemed to spend quite a bit of time eating, drinking, playing cards, reading and sleeping on his ship instead of roaming the high seas looking for serious adventure. We read one or two passages that delt with keeping off the Spanish or British in battle scenes but, they were minimal and after a few cannon shots or two...the battles were done. Since when are battle scenes over in the blink of an eye? I think this book caught Captain Jack at the tail end of his career and thus...part of the fun was lost. As much as I appreciate a leading man leaving behind a naughty and risky life and turning over a leaf to become a better person...a little "badness" goes a long way in the mean time. This book had none of that. He was polite, kind, friendly and good from the start - almost to a fault. I think women want a little "devil" now and then in their leading man. Jack seemed to leave behind a lifetime of loss, heartache and lack of tenderness and love fairly quickly once he and the leading lady got together. I found that very unrealistic. Deep set loss and wounds as Jack had would take longer to heal. I do like that our hero was not nasty, angry or a serious womanizer - that gets old in leading men. So...he was a decent guy...just not fantastic or dreamy.

Our main heroine Lorelei was fine. Pretty gal as expected but, a wee bit on the spoiled and boring side. Daddy's little girl and all. For a sheltered society gal, I thought she got over being kidnapped by Captain Jack and settling into life on a pirate ship pretty fast. She made friends and took to ship life like she'd been there her whole life (which she hadn't). Why she was so polite she even offered to take her food tray out of her cabin in to the kitchen - what good manners even on a pirate ship!(Yet she grew up in a family and era when servents waited on the wealthy hand and foot and the "help" was seen not heard.) Our heroine was better than most apparently. In fact, Lorelei was only on the ship for a handful of days yet, she made friends with everyone and bonded with our hero as if years had passed. I found this a bit strange. Most gals would fight tooth and nail if they got kidnapped to find a way out. Not our heroine. I would say her redeeming characteristic ended up being she wasn't a simpering miss even with her goody goody background. She was a decent leading lady just nothing outstanding or memorable. Some of her comebacks to Captain Jack kept the banter up and that was a plus.

I had to laugh at another reviewers comments over some of the unrealistic things that happened in the book as I noted them too. Why how many pirates ships allow men to bring their wives and kids aboard? It sounds like a Carnival cruise for the pirate jet setters! Or... Lorelei's favorite color being "yellow" and viola - within hours of her request her room is refurbished with curtains, bedspreads, flowers and more all in her color scheme. Who knew that pirate ships had accounts at Bed, Bath & Beyond? Or...that Lorelei just happens to be an artist and so is another pirate named Henri on the ship (fancy that - in the middle of a huge ocean you meet a French man from Paris named Henri who is a mini Van Gough - what are the chances?). And....that he had a ship full of paints, brushes, thinners, charcoal and boards/books for painting? At least he shared - that was very friendly of him. Or that our head pirate Jack loves to read books. Why he had more books in his bedroom alone than you could find at the Library of Congress! Jack apparently read all the time and was quoting Shakespeare at a moments notice. Yet...when the ship catches fire and goes down...does anyone get upset over the loss of these precious books at a time when printing presses weren't exactly everywhere on the high seas? Nope...not a peep from anyone. So much for holding precious flowers, art supplies and books. Guess the pirates will just go shopping tomorrow and replace everything. Don't forget your Pirate Visa or Master of The Seas Card! Do enjoy this book but, please have a sense of humor and laugh at some of the silliness you can find in each chapter.

The love scenes were fine in this book. Nothing really happened until middle to ¾ of the way through the book and that was fine with me. I prefer when characters have some time to develop before they are jumping in bed together anyway. There was clearly some early interest and attraction between the two and that made things a little more interesting. I liked the challenge they each issued the other - she'll make him love her and he'll find a way to seduce her. Nothing too mysterious or creative here. Needless to say...they both win as expected. It's a draw. I would have liked the challenge to be more detailed, in depth and had lots of scenes showing how they could each win. Too little was done with this - a real mistake if you ask me. You can't bond with characters if you don't really get to know the heart of them. Just giving some written dialogue scenes where the characters spill their guts is not enough. Once again...an author needs to give you MORE.

There were quite a few secondary characters in this story...friends, family, enemies and more. It helped to round out a busy cast. Everything and everyone kind of stayed light and airy and fluffy. I found it odd that many of the scenes written in each chapter were quite short. A scene would start with a character, something light develop and then that would end and another scene or action piece would start. This kept repeating itself a few times in each chapter. Soon as I would get into something, a change would occur. I found this a little distracting as I wanted things to develop much more. Nothing ever seemed to get too detailed or deep. Perhaps that what was lacking the most for me. Everything was simple and superficial.

If you are a fan of this author, continue to enjoy her works. If you are looking for more as I do, feel free to see my other reviews and take stock of the other authors I have been finding this past year. There is something out there for everyone. Happy reading!

4.0 out of 5 stars Woo Hoo! What a Pirate!, December 15, 2000
Black Jack Rhys and Lorelei were an amazing couple. She was a strong enough heroine for him and he was too strong for her to control. They were perfect counterparts to each other and kept this reader happy from the word go! The only fact that makes this book 4 stars instead of 5 was that in A Pirate of Her Own Jack had already married (as if Master of Seduction was the prequel to A Pirate of Her Own) but A Pirate of Her Own was released first. So Beware: If you like to read books in order, read Master of Seduction first!

3.0 out of 5 stars a good book and a great author, March 28, 2002
Master of Seduction is the story of Black Jack Rhys and Lorelei, who I first read about in A Pirate of Her Own. I read them backwards. They both are stand alone books but it is enjoyable to read about Morgan from the second book in this one and Jack and Lorelei in the second book.
Jack is a notorious pirate and Lorelei is helping her English fiance track him down. Jack kidnapps her when he realizes she knows who he really is. He is very strongly attracted to her and she to him but they try and fight thier attraction until passion wins out. Jack is deeply troubled by his past and Lorelei must break thru it all to get to the good man beneath the hard shell of Pirate.
This book is filled with humor and adventure and passion and tenderness. I really enjoyed it and look forward to more by this author. I would really like to read a book about Kit Jack's son when he grows up.

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful read, January 8, 2000
Kathy (beautiful San Francisco) - See all my reviews
I just loved the humor in this book. The banter between Jack and Lorelei was great! It's so nice to see a heroine who can hold her own and one who knows how to handle a man as opposed to the simpering wall flower who is unused to men, etc. I found the writing refreshing and fun. And Jack is a major hottie. I wish he were real. He's the perfect example of what I read romance for. Dark, tormented, yet not sadistic or cruel. He treats her with respect. Well done, Kinley. You can add me to your list of fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book . . . Excellent Writer, February 13, 2000
Kinley MacGregor does it again! First in A Pirate of Her Own, and now with Master of Seduction. Not only is Jack the lovable blackguard from Pirate of Her Own back, he's met his match! This is a wonderful book, full of one-liners that kept me in stitches, love scenes that sizzled, and Ms. MacGregor's exciting writing style that just keeps the pages turning. It's going to be hard to wait for her next book. Kudos to Kinley. Please, keep 'em coming!

5.0 out of 5 stars This a Definite Winner, January 8, 2003
M. Rondeau (West Springfield, MA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Now this was more like it! It is too bad I had not read it before `Pirate of Her Own' as this is the prequel that should have been read first. This is not to say that `Pirate....' was bad it is just that this prequel had the heart and emotion that I felt was missing from the much more lighthearted `Pirate.!
Lorelei Dupree was the spoiled only child of a wealthy banker engaged to be married to the highly sought after Justin Wallingford. Lorelei had always craved excitement and when Justin had broached the idea of Lorelei helping him to set a trap to catch the infamous pirate `Black Jack Rhys' she jumped at the opportunity. She of course never thought that Justin would be bested and she would become the hostage of Black Jack!
Black Jack Rhys had not intended to take any hostages but something of the fiery red haired wench had captured his imagination - and the fact that she was the fiancé of the man he hated made the prospect all that much sweeter.
Kidnap her he did and the games began in which two very arrogant people made a wager between them. Lorelei swore she would have him falling in love with her and he swore he could seduce her! Jack may have kidnapped Lorelei but it was his heart that was soon to be held hostage.
Along with some very witty repartee between Lorelei and Jack, which will have you laughing heartily, you will be able to see much more emotional depth of the characters that I felt was missing from her first novel. The attraction that at first enticed them slowly began to strengthen as they spent time with one another and turned into a very dynamic and very sensual love. I highly recommend this story and definitely recommend that it be read before `Pirate of Her Own'

4.0 out of 5 stars Takes the High Sea by Storm, December 23, 1999
Lorelei is looking for adventure when she volunteers to help her fiance, Justin Wallingford, capture the notorious pirate Jack Rhys. But her ruse goes awry when she's taken hostage by the bucanneer. Jack has his reasons for using Lorelei to exact revenge on the Wallingfords. She appears to be the ideal pawn, but she's far too bold, too beautiful and too smart and ends up enticing Jack. Lorlei has no problems fitting in aboard Jack's ship and using her wits and beauty, she's sure she'll wrap him around her little finger. But they are both in for a surprise; for as they match wits they find themselves unmasking each others hidden secrets,vulnerabilities and dreams. Their friendship begins turning to love. Even their challenging wager about falling in love takes on new dimensions as desire simmers between them. Sea battles, shipwreck and a final confrontation with Jack's mortal enemy climax in an exciting heartstopping moment. Kinley MacGregor takes the high seas by storm with this fast-paced highly entertaining debut. The seductive cat-and-mouse games, wagers and challenges make everything sizzle and keep you glued to the page. With Master of Seduction, Kinley MacGregor makes an impressive mark on the genre.

Master of Seduction (Harper Historical Romance)
Master of Seduction (Harper Historical Romance) by Kinley MacGregor (Mass Market Paperback - June 28, 2005)
$7.99 $7.19