1,178 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars A safe and convenient turkey fryer - with limitations
Published on December 3, 2009 by J. Weinberg

3.0 out of 5 stars Not totally Pleased
Published on December 26, 2009 by LJRJR

4.0 out of 5 stars A safe and convenient turkey fryer - with limitations, December 3, 2009
J. Weinberg (Brooklyn - the 4th largest city in America) - See all my reviews
I bought this fryer for my thanksgiving turkey, and have used it once successfully. I fried a 13 pound bird with 2 gallons of oil for 4 minutes a pound, and got a delicious, moist, and decidedly not greasy turkey. Set up took around 10 minutes, mainly to familiarize myself with the few parts, and clean up was fairly easy as the spigot on the bottom of the fryer made draining the oil pretty simple, and everything pretty much wiped clean.

Living in an urban area, where flaming mishaps are a really bad idea, I appreciate the safety of this fryer over an open vat of oil over an open flame. And plugging in is much easier than hauling propane tanks around. The outside of the fryer remained cool to touch at all times. It is obvious that a good amount of thought went into making it safe to use in an indoor environment.

Some limitations:

The fryer only holds two gallons of oil. Actually, the "max fill" line is at around 1.6 or 1.7 gallons. I added the full two gallons with no problems (with a 13 pound turkey). The less oil, and the larger the turkey, the more the oil will be cooled down when the turkey is added. This is less a problem with a propane fire - which can crank out the BTUs - than it is with an electric heating element, which produces a more modest amount of heat. So a major limitation of this fryer is that once you add the turkey, the oil will not again achieve the desired 375 degree temperature. To minimize this, I would recommend using a modest size turkey, and I also recommend allowing the turkey to come as close to room temperature as safety allows before adding it into the oil.

The fryer is labeled for indoor use only, presumably due to limited weatherproofing of electric parts. Unfortunately, frying with this much oil in your house will produce a significant greasy odor. One solution might be to use a garage or other outbuilding. I used it in my back yard, on a table with a large patio umbrella covering it. Technically, this is a violation of the labeling, but it worked for me.

The fryer has a digital timer, but for some odd reason, the timer is not connected to the heating element. So while it may beep that your food is cooked, it still keeps cooking it. It seems to me that an automatic shutoff would be worthwhile for safety.

In summary, this fryer will safely fry a turkey, producing a moist and tasty (though maybe not so crispy) bird. It is useful for those people who are uncomfortable with the safety of the standard techniques of frying a turkey. I recommend keeping the size of the turkey on the smallish side, to that the oil will stay hot during frying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every day is fry-day!, November 13, 2009
I started using this Indoor Fryer 2 days ago. Best catfish ever! I also fried turkey wings and a whole chicken the same day. I had no trouble at all with a 4 lb chicken and bought some small turkeys to fry later. Imagine frying a whole chicken in 17 minutes! No need to imagine it, you can do it!

Easy to use even for a beginner. Cleanup is a breeze! The oil drains perfectly clean if you want to use it again. I was able to drain it all back into the bottles without using a strainer.

The Masterbuilt company has answered every question in a very timely fashion. I would recommend this Indoor Fryer to anyone looking to have fun frying foods.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deep fryer for turkeys, October 18, 2011
I have been deep frying turkeys for the past 10 years using a Barbour deep fryer. Every Thanksgiving (or a few weeks before), I would have to go behind supermarkets to grab cardboard boxes to line the area of the fryer as oil would inevitably spill. Some years were better than others, but my wife was none too happy about the mess.

I was given this deep fryer as a gift two weeks ago and have just deep fried 2 turkeys that have come out just as good as the outdoor fryer but without the mess. I've used the same peanut oil twice and plan on keeping it in there through Thanksgiving. The unit was purchased from Amazon and was well packaged.

In getting the unit ready for use, make sure to remove all of the paper first (the inside is lined with cardboard...you'll need to pull the right side (this is the side where the heating mechanism comes out from) of the unit upwards) to get rid of the cardboard. Be careful when doing this as the coil could be easily broken if done too fast.

Also, you'll need to remove plastic that covers the drain, etc. You won't use more than 2.75 gallons of peanut oil (the outdoor fryer used about 4 gallons). The fryer comes with a basket which can easily hold a 20lb turkey. I suggest placing the unit in a garage (with ventilation) on an elevated surface- placing inside the home may give you a turkey odor for a few days.

The oil takes about 45 minutes to heat up. Once the unit is ready, the green light will go on. Place the turkey into the fryer and set the digital timer (about 3 1/2 to 4 minutes per pound). There are cavities in the unit so that if oil spills out, you'll be able to remove the oil (I used a dry paper towel to do this). Only do this during cooking if your unit is excessively sweating (drips coming out of the unit).

As with all turkey frying:
1. make sure the bird is fully thawed & remove the neck/giblets
2. use peanut oil
3. slowly place the bird down into the unit as to avoid any spillage & use the appropriate protective gear (oven mitts, apron)
4. stay around the unit while it's cooking / keep kids away
5. check to ensure that the peanut oil covers the entire bird. If you need to add additional oil, I'd wait 10- 15 minutes after placing the bird into the unit. The turkey will cool down the oil so that if you need to you can slowly add additional oil to the fryer. When doing this, make sure that you have the appropriate protective gear.

Once the turkey is done, the basket comes with a hook so that you can hang on the side of the unit so the oil drains back into the pan. I would recommend placing a paper bag/tray underneath the bird when transporting it into the house so that the oil doesn't drip oil into the house.

My recipe:
Use a butterball turkey (this is extremely important)

Brine your turkey with Sea Salt/Kosher Salt you can do this twice (once initially and once a few minutes later...the skin will absorb the salt). However, the second brine will increase the saltiness of the bird.

stuff 1 1/2 pounds of uncooked bacon between the skin in the meat everywhere possible on the turkey. You won't eat the bacon, rather the grease gets into the meat giving a much better taste

inject 8 oz to 12 oz of beer (The cheaper the better) into the breast meet and legs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it is designed to do, November 27, 2011
PJ (Arlington, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Masterbuilt 20010611 Butterball Professional Series Indoor Electric Turkey Fryer, Black (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Lawn & Patio)
I purchased this to try something different, and I'm not disappointed. It arrived promptly, was easy to set up, and reasonably easy to use. It heated up in less than half an hour, and produced a moist, evenly-cooked 10-lb turkey in 40 minutes. The directions also say that you can fill it with water instead of oil and use it as a large steamer, which I will find very useful.

All that said,there are a few things that you should know if you're considering buying this.

It is a very large appliance, as it must be to hold a whole turkey plus sufficient oil to fry it in. But the size has three important implications:

1) If you have wall cabinets over your kitchen counters, this item will not fit - you won't have sufficient clearance to open the lid. You'll need to plan ahead and have an alternate place to set it.

2) The unit is tall enough that even if you have a counter with adequate clearance, you will need to lift the turkey more than shoulder height to lower it into the hot oil. I am 5'8", neither tall nor short, and raising a heavy turkey to this height did not seem like a safe maneuver to be making in the vicinity of hot oil.

These aren't design flaws - they're just the consequence of the unit being large enough to fry a turkey - but they are things to take into account as you figure out where you will set this up. And on that note -

3) When fully loaded, the unit is heavy (oil + turkey + fryer = almost fifty pounds), so whatever you set it on absolutely MUST be sturdy and tip-proof.

There is one thing that I do consider a critical design flaw though - the cord is TOO SHORT to accommodate any location other than the back of a kitchen counter right next to a wall socket, which means that a lot of users are going to be using extension cords (as I did) - and you'll need to be certain that your extension cord is rated high enough for this high-wattage appliance.

A couple of other common-sense safety notes: the directions say to have the turkey thoroughly dried off to prevent spattering, and to use protective oven mitts or gloves when you are lowering the turkey in and removing it afterward. That's good advice. I would add that it makes sense to wear eye protection any time you're working with potentially-spattering hot oil like this.

And it goes without saying but I'll say it anyway: don't leave it unattended, and keep the pets and children completely out of the room while you're using this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect, May 30, 2010
Received this as Xmas gift and finally got around to using it today (took me awhile to get all the oil, marinades, and accessories, and to find an excuse to fry a Turkey, and to get over my "fear of frying"). Overall I have to say it's a great piece of equipment, and now that I have taken the plunge, I will likely be using it for frying other foods.

It heated up quickly and my oil thermometer confirmed the temp was spot on, (although my green ready light did not light up as I thought it should). It cooked a 10.5oz Turkey to perfection in exactly 45 minutes. It is recommended to cook 3.5 minutes/pound which would have been 36.75 minutes. I decided I'd rather slightly over than under cook so I set timer for 40 mins. At 40 I checked internal temp and it wasn't quite there so I gave it another 5 and then it was definitely done. Clean up was no worse than the usual Turkey roasting pan, et al, The drainer worked perfectly and I was surprised to get back nearly as much oil as I had started with, thinking that certainly the turkey would "drink" some of the oil..not so apparently. The turkey was juicy, not greasy at all. It did not heat up the kitchen, nor smell up house, and the greasy mess was confined to the internal washable parts. The only problem I had was getting the bird out of the basket, and that might be because I had a bird from a local farm, not as refined as say a Butterball, and the skin was looser in places, and it stuck to the basket. So it didn't come out as "pretty" as in the advertising, but we don't eat the skin anyway. I wish it had a longer cord, although I understand why it's so short, it made it a little harder for me since I have a very small kitchen and had to use it on a separate cart pulled up to the counter, so it just barely was long enough. I took the manual at face value and did not use an extension cord, although I may try that in the future when a turkey isn't at stake. One last comment: Since I had not used it and wanted to test it before buying an expensive bird, I plugged it in empty for about 1 minute a few days ago only long enough to see that it came on and started to heated up. Apparently that was long enough to "overheat" and shut off the unit, which I did not realize until I plugged it in today and the power light did not light. After a few frantic moments I discovered the reset "button" on the control panel. If I had read the entire manual first I would have known about it. So...lesson #1-don't turn it on empty lesson #2, read your manual and be aware of "reset" before you have a near heart attack.

4.0 out of 5 stars Masterbuilt Turkey Fryer, November 15, 2009
J. Newton (Burnsville, MN USA) - See all my reviews
Successor to company's earlier kettle-style units.
Worked very well first time out of the gate.
Cooked a 13.7lb turkey in the minium time.
Seems well built and thought out.
I prefer an electric fryer to a gas one for reasons of safety and that it can be used inside.
I owned an earlier Masterbuilt that worked well but failed after only a few Thanksgivings.
The main reason I gave this one a 4 instead of 5 star is that, to me, the jury's out on the reliability.
Still, the first one worked well enough to give them a second chance.
Right now, this one's working great.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not totally Pleased, December 26, 2009
I have just recently used my Indoor Electric Turkey Fryer and the instructions were fine but my first turkey did not cook all the way using the instructions. Also a small black piece, that help hold the cover door attachment on, which has the compartment on it broke off. I haven't had time to see what can be done about it. My second turkey turned out much better but what I did was to use my outdoor turkey fryer temperature gauge to check the oil temperature and found out that it was only 280 degrees while cooking and it would only get up to 360 degrees when it says it's 375 degrees with no turkey in it. So I made adjustments to my cooking time and was able to get a better outcome the second time around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect frying appliance, December 7, 2010
I have been deep frying turkeys for 13 years and own both a propane and the Materbuilt. I love this unit and no longer use the propane unit. I have had zero problems and have built a sliding shelf in my garage to do the cooking. Very easy to use and trouble free. Sorry if some people have had issues with the heating element, I set and "forget" which means this unit allows me to continue with other cooking details without the threat of a fire or boiling over. I cook for a big crowd so I am close to the cooker, no fires and this unit is way safer than propane, as I could never walk away from an open flame. Also the thermostat works very well and I have the highest confidence in using this product. WARNING: I am not advocating irresponsibility in not attending to the frying of any foods, if you are inexperienced in deep frying seek counsel from online sites that provide proper frying techniques(e.g. youtube). This Masterbuilt is safe and under the proper frying conditions, you should not have any regrets.
One point I would like to mention is the magnetic connection for the electric cord, hmmm not real crazy about that idea as I have had the connection come off, not a problem as I think the company is exercising a safety feature to keep the unit from operating if it were to be bumped or tipped over. Just my thoughts on what can be annoying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect and saves times!!, November 16, 2009
Max "Max" (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
This is clearly a time saver and if you are considering buying a new turkey fryer, you should get this one and not anything else.

It is very spacious and you can have all the turkey cooked in one shot, rather than divide and cook multiple times.

I own a oil free outdoor turkey fryer, also from masterbuilt [ http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JM1ZN8?ie=UTF8&tag=mama0f-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002JM1ZN8 ], which is quite quick, but this one is even faster and can also accommodate extra space. Cleaning the fryer is also quite easy.

On the whole, I have been pleased with masterbuilt and this one is perhaps the best for indoor cooking. I also like the digital clock on the device, and also a viewing window, for ease. They really put a lot of thought before designing this fryer.

5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY a safe way to DEEP FRY a TURKEY!!, December 4, 2009
I used mine for the first time Thanksgiving - just bought it first of November .... I was so impressed by the reviews I quickly bought 2 as Christmas gifts and had them shipped and THEY ARRIVED before THANKSGIVING (THANKS AMAZON) ... early Christmas gift I should say

Here is what NOT to do with your turkey fryer ... we had a large crowd so I wanted 2 turkeys .... so after the first one finished ... I put the second one in ... about half way through smoke was filling the house and bad bad smell when you burn peanut oil.... the turkey was okay ...

What I should have done .... unplugged ... removed the heating element - CLEANED the heating element ... drain off the bottom part of the oil to remove sludge residue ... THEN add whatever oil I needed to add - THEN cook the second turkey .... Don't forget to remove the water that gathers in the top trap - the 2nd turkey way over filled that.

I'm STILL cleaning the black off the heating element ..... will probably have to get a replacement heating element.

The only draw back is .... it puts out a LOT OF STEAM - ..... will quickly fog up any window it is next to.

I'm anxious to try other recipes in this. Don't bother looking - as of this review Amazon has the BEST price - Target may be a couple of dollars less - but, you can't beat Amazon service.