5.0 out of 5 stars Masterbuilt Butterball Oil-Free Electric Turkey Fryer
Published on December 21, 2009 by Tech Engineer

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely Not A Deep Fryer
Published on November 28, 2009 by Casey D. Stutzman

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterbuilt Butterball Oil-Free Electric Turkey Fryer, December 21, 2009
Tech Engineer "Al" (Dallas/Fort Worth, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Masterbuilt 20100809 Butterball Oil-Free Electric Turkey Fryer and Roaster (Lawn & Patio)
Great investment. We were skeptical but this was the best and juiciest turkey we have ever had. We fixed an 11 lb test turkey and it was gone in 2 days (just two of us, and I usually don't like turkey). Then we fixed an 18 lb for Thanksgiving with this and fixed another 12 lb in the oven the usual way and we ended up with just about the whole oven turkey only for leftovers (10 people).

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm happy with my oil-free fryer, & I'm giving them as gifts, December 3, 2010
I selected the Masterbuilt/Butterball Oil-Free Electric Turkey Fryer for three primary reasons. First, since my granddaughter is allergic to peanuts, I could not fry a turkey in peanut oil. Second, I wanted a way to capture drippings to make traditional-style turkey gravy, and third, I liked the idea of being able to roast a turkey at the rate of 10 minutes per pound. I started with a 10-lb. Butterball test turkey and vacillated as to whether to inject it with a butter-flavored marinade or leave it unflavored. I did not want Creole flavoring, and I'd read that if the turkey isn't injected with the proper quantities of marinade in the proper places, the marinade can pool and cause intense flavor in some areas of the meat. I decided to try roasting it without any seasoning at all and see what happened. I did nothing to the turkey except dry it thoroughly with paper towels and bind the wings next to the breast with a silicone band. We were very pleased with the outcome. The turkey cooked in exactly 100 minutes, and it was moist, juicy and delicious. On Thanksgiving, I roasted a 12-lb. Butterball turkey and everyone raved. Once again, it cooked in exactly 120 minutes. This time I oiled the turkey inside and out with corn oil mixed with minced fresh rosemary. I also applied a small amount of poultry rub to the skin.

For others who buy this product--which really isn't a fryer but a roaster--I can offer a couple of pointers. The instructions call for preheating the fryer, but it doesn't mention that preheating to the "high" setting takes a long time. On Thanksgiving, I preheated the unit for a full hour before putting in the turkey. Also, the turkey "basket" that fits into the unit is a cone shape with hole in the bottom for the drippings to drain into the cup. The instructions don't mention that when the user transports the cooked turkey in the basket from outdoors to indoors, it will leave a trail of drippings. On Thanksgiving, we solved the problem by placing the turkey basket into a cardboard box. Afterward we removed the turkey from the basket with silicone oven mitts.

Today I intend to order two Masterbuilt/Butterball Oil-Free Electric Turkey Fryers as gifts for dear friends, one who can never seem to get her turkey done and another who has only one oven. For both of them, preparation of Christmas dinner will be much easier and stress-free.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mmmmazing, November 10, 2013
I noticed there were alot of mixed reviews. After actually reading them I noticed the bad ones are not for this device but for the non oil device. I bought the oil fryer upon delivery I ran out and bought a turkey breast and peanut oil. 2 days later(thaw time) I set up the fryer and decided to try the turkey without any seasoning. The turkey turned out great in only 45 min the 6.5lb breast was golden brown and the meat thermometer was 169 degrees. Meat was most and juicy and tasted great. I Immediately placed an order for the butterball garlic and butter marinade/seasoning kit and can't wait to try that out this thanksgiving! Finally true fried turkey with no open flame. Goodbye staying up all night to baste!! 12lb turkey now cooks in 48min!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this fryer!! *Updated*, November 21, 2013
Received this today and we cooked a test turkey to see if we liked it or not. I injected a small bit of broth into the bird while we waited for the fryer to heat up. I forgot to time it, but it took about 30-45 minutes for the oil to heat up.

Turkey came out beautiful and cooked in under an hour! The color was medium golden brown, not too dark. It looked like a picture right out of a cookbook! :) Skin was crispy and perfect! Turkey did not taste greasy at all. It was moist, tender, and cooked perfectly.

After removing the turkey from the fryer my husband wanted to try frying some fries while the oil was hot. Cut up a potato and wound up with a side of the best steak fries ever, crispy on the outside and baked potato soft on the inside. Yum! Looks like this will be cooking our Thanksgiving turkey next week! I can not keep this out on the counter full time though, too fattening! I was already thinking about funnel cakes and deep fried STUFF. I will pack it up for storing and bring it out for holidays and family get togethers.

The controls were very easy to use and understand. As much as I feel I would have liked a longer cord I am really glad it is as short as it is and breaks away from the unit easily. Too much room for serious accidents when you're dealing with this much hot oil. The outside can also get hot so be careful and keep kids away from this at all times. Keeping the kids out of the room is better.

I found out after we finished our bird that it is better to dip the basket into the oil first to coat, then add the bird and lower it into the oil (a cookie sheet would be great to move the greased basket so it doesn't drip). This will help keep the turkey from sticking. Ours stuck a bit to the bottom of the basket.

Lowering it into the hot oil was pretty scary,... it popped, hissed and gurgled. We used a thawed bird that we made sure was as dry as possible and lowered it into the fryer as slowly as we could. Since this was the first time we have ever fried a turkey it was a bit nerve-wracking, but everything turned out fine.

The timer was hard to read, I used a little flashlight to shine on it so I could see it. A backlit timer would have been better. And the beep it makes could be a bit louder too, you can barely hear it over the bubbling of the oil. I used my back up kitchen timer which I will continue to use along with the timer on the fryer.

Clean up isn't too bad. Cool oil, strain, store, and hot soapy water to clean the pan and accessories.

This is a good fryer, it was amazing to be able to cook a 14 lb turkey in 50 minutes! This fryer can cook a turkey up to 20 lbs. Shop around for a good price, I paid $125 for the XL (a week before Thanksgiving).

This cooks well and was a very good purchase.

*Edited to add: 11/28/13 Thanksgiving turkey didn't have skin as crispy as our test turkey. Still cooked quickly,...larger bird so it cooked in 62 minutes. :D Tasted great! Since this fryer can cook a bird up to 20 lbs. we bought a 18 lb. bird this time. The last one was about 14 lbs. The smaller bird was completely under the oil so I think that is why the skin was crispier. This larger bird had a bit at the top that wasn't completely submerged. The skin was cooked but not crisp except for the parts under the oil.

Family likes the fried turkey the best, and it is faster so I think we will be using this to cook our turkeys from now on. No more messing with the bird, and basting. Had more time to spend with the family and spent less time in the kitchen! :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely Not A Deep Fryer, November 28, 2009
The electric turkey fryer is a good choice if you don't want the mess or hazards of using oil for deep frying. For the money it does an okay job of doing nothing more than cooking your turkey and collecting the drippings. All in all, only buy this product if you want to make room in your oven or grill to cook somthing else at the same time. One good thing about this fryer though is the wood chip tray for smoking. It seems to impart good smoke into the meat. Perhaps this fryer will work better as a low temp smoker. Will try that next. So, in short, if you are looking for that deep fried crispiness and look...this won't give you that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Butterball Oil-Free Electric Turkey Fryer, November 6, 2009
This is one of the best cooking tools I have owned. I have owned one for a week now. I have cooked 2 turkeys and 2 chickens in that time. I used an injected marinade and the meat is moist and tender. All were devoured quickly by my family. I use the fryer in my garage with the door cracked about a foot and have no complaints. Clean up is quick and easy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Turkey in the HISTORY OF MANKIND!!, December 13, 2010
Mary K. Duran (Henderson, NV USA) - See all my reviews
My bad that I got this the day BEFORE Thanksgiving so I had no chance to test before - BOY, did I get lucky!! I made the best turkey in the history of man!! It was so great, in fact; we did a "do-over" two weeks later to prove it wasn't a fluke ... Nope! Was again perfect juicy & AMAZING!!

Brined the turkey the night before, put outside on my patio & just kept an eye on it. I cooked a 12.5 lbs turkey in 1.75 hours! Bottom has a cup to catch drippings so made perfect gravy. Crispy skin as if it had been fried but none of the oil mess to clean up. Clean up was super easy - just washed the bucket & stand the turkey was in.

I highly recommend this product. Only thing to be aware of is that you will have NO LEFTOVERS because the turkey is so fabulous everybody takes it home with them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product!, May 10, 2010
We absolutely love our oil free electric turkey fryer and have used it to make many meals. Everything we have cooked has been delicious, and it cleans up easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fried turkey ... not just for Thanksgiving anymore!!!, December 3, 2013
We have enjoyed fried turkey at Thanksgiving for many years, but I neglected to cook one any other time of year because it was just too much hassle to pull out the old propane turkey fryer and all of the related stuff. Picked-up this indoor fryer on a whim just 3 days before Thanksgiving 2013 and my Prime membership got it here just in time and on schedule Wednesday afternoon.

This fryer is nothing short of awesome! Filled it with 2 gallons of peanut oil and turned it on at noon Thanksgiving day. Put the turkey in at 1pm and, at promptly 1:40pm, we raised out of the oil a beautiful 'crispy brown on the outside - moist and juicy on the inside' turkey. The big bonus for me was that I never left the comfort of my kitchen and was fully able to work on finishing all of the trimmings while the turkey fried. No more running in and out of the back door, checking to make sure that the oil temp was just right or worrying that one of the children would slip away for a moment and get near the dangerous pot and flame!

The fryer is large, but really not nearly as big as I feared that it would be. I did have to use it on the bar area of the counter because my cabinets over the rest of the space did not allow the lid to open fully. It did take the better part of 50 minutes for the oil to heat, and it was at room temp prior to pouring it in the fryer. The temp recovered very quickly when the turkey was placed in the oil, and frying never slowed a bit for the cook time of 40 minutes. The spices that were sprinkled on the turkey prior to frying stayed on the bird. There was no oily smell in the house either before or after using the fryer.

The spigot to empty the oil made cleanup a breeze! The recovered oil was very clean and re-useable. There is no doubt that we will be having fried turkey several times a year now that we have this appliance. I will also be using it for fish fries when we have company and a lot of fish to cook. Unless you have an extremely large kitchen, you won't be leaving this out on the counter all of the time, and I will be storing it in the pantry.

ONE WARNING: Use the stainless steel hook-on handle extension provided when you lower the turkey into the hot oil. Unfortunately, I thought I could do it just by the handle on the basket, and my hands were splattered with hot oil because the oil agitates A LOT when you lower the bird. Nothing serious, just darned uncomfortable. You will be fine if you do it correctly ... I just got too big for my britches and did it wrong the first time.

High recommendation for this indoor turkey fryer. We are looking forward to Christmas dinner and another perfectly fried turkey! It's so easy now, maybe New Year's, Valentines Day ...

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, November 18, 2010
Used it to "fry" a turkey and it worked fine. Turkey was moist and tasted like a fried turkey despite the lack of oil. Tasty bird. Used it as a smoker and it's not great, but serviceable. Cleanup and setup was very easy. Problems include it takes a while to get heated up, and it takes longer to "fry" a bird then it would using an oil one. If I had to buy it again however, I would.

Rate and Discover Movies