Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

This is a mammoth new book written to teach the basics of beading to absolute beginners. Nearly 400 pages in fact.

The introduction has information on your supplies. The tools, beads, wires, cords and chains. At the end of the book is a techniques section for common techniques that is over 100 pages of nicely photographed step by step instructions to fundamentals like how to use crimp beads or open a jump ring.

The primary emphasis is on the very basics of beading. All the steps are well photographed and explained in easy to understand language. Most of the projects use wire or stringing techniques to create jewelry. There are a few seed bead projects in the book like the Lots of Luxe bracelet which uses peyote stitch.

One of the things I like best about this book is that it's very accessible for beginners, people who are intimidated by all the tools and techniques of beading but want to try making their own jewelry. They are separated by type of jewelry, so bracelets has it's own chapter, so does hair jewelry like barrettes and headbands. Most of the projects have complete instructions with lots of photographs to show each step in making the piece is done. The few that don't tell you right on the supplies list where to refer to find instructions to specific techniques in the techniques section.

It's an exhaustive primer for beginners, and affordable enough that I'd gift it to friends who I was teaching the basic principles of beading design. It's not one I'd recommend to people who's primary focus is seed bead weaving, but to people who want to learn how to make wearable, fashionable jewelry, this is a good reference and starting point.
55 comments|29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 22, 2011
I chose those book over several others. I went to Barnes & Nobles & Borders & generally speaking, I look at all beading books wherever I go. This one was the best because of two things. The front reference area has all kinds of detailed info including size charts for bead sizes & gauges down to the difference between all sorts of materials. I found the charts to be easier to read than other books. The same goes for the back which is sort of like a technique reference area. Sometimes you don't quite know what to search for online so I wanted a book to flip through when I needed questions answered quick.

The other reason I chose this book for my reference book, as I'm starting my own jewelry company, is because of the jewelry items they selected for tutorials. They include techniques I'm actually planning on using & others included too much weaving & complicated techniques I don't even find all that attractive. This still has weaving but a little but everything including orienting chain in complicated ways, wire wrapping & all sorts of interesting bead ideas.

Plus the deal on Amazon is awesome & it's huge!
on January 25, 2012
I'm fairly new to creating jewelry with bead stringing and weaving. I set out to find a book that could be my definitive reference on everything I was interested in. Not being able to decide, for sure online, I ordered two. I went with Mastering the Art of Beading and The Complete Photo Guide to Jewelry Making: More than 700 Large Format Color Photos. I quickly determined that Mastering the Art of Beading was exactly what I was looking for. While The Complete Photo Guide was also excellent, it spent a great deal of time on things I don't have any current interest in. Things such as Metal Fabrication and soldering, metal clay, polymer clay, etc. I *would* rate that book highly and recommend it if you are a more advanced beader and want to create you own beads, findings, fabricate metal pieces, etc. However, I returned that book as just having too much that I'm not interested in at this point and time.

When it comes to Mastering the Art of Beading, it is everything I had hoped for and more!! It's a huge 384 pages, chock full of gorgeous pictures of finished projects and each step you need to take to complete the projects is carefully laid out. It's very easy to read and understand, with many things cross referenced in an easily understandable way.

It starts with the basics and has the best descriptions of materials, tools, threads, findings, etc. that I've seen anywhere. It covers bead types, sizes, styles and more in an extremely in depth and easy to understand format. A large number of charts, showing most items in actual size, give you a great understanding of bead sizing and more. Further charts help you to determine what type and size of needle, stringing materials, beads and findings will work together. A real help, as it can initially be overwhelming to figure this out. Pro's and con's are given on types/brands of beads as well as all possible stringing materials.

All of this wonderful information is followed by several sections of projects. Necklaces, bracelets, rings and hair jewelry are all covered. Each section gives a huge variety in styles and beading methods to choose from. A list of all of the necessary supplies for each is included, though many would be easy to change up a bit for your own look. Each project also has reference pages listed to make it simple to jump to the page that covers the skills you will need in that particular project.

The final section covers Techniques. Stringing and Finishing covers nearly everything you need to know about stringing on wire, ribbon, thread, etc. All of the findings used are covered in depth so you'll quickly learn how to use a crimp bead and cover, how to use an end cap on ribbon, how to use a beading disc and so very, very much more.

Knotting, stitching and off loom bead weaving fill the last section. Again, all are wonderful. The bead weaving section only really covers Peyote stitch, but it does it so well and shows so many variations, that I'm fine with just starting out with Peyote.

If I find I enjoy it, I may add a book that covers more bead weaving techniques in the future.

If you can't tell, I cannot say enough about this book. Although I've only done minor beading off and on over the years, I have many other creative pastimes with dozens of craft books covering a large variety of topics. I can say that, hands down, this is the best, craft, reference book I have ever had the pleasure to purchase!

And at the ridiculously low price, it would almost be a crime not to snatch it up. When was the last time you got a full color, nearly 400 page book for under $20??
on July 2, 2011
This is a lovely resource for the beginning jewelry maker. If you've forgotten a technique, know its in
ONE of your magazines somewhere, this book pulls it all together in one place. While I've made hundreds of peices so far, I'm thrilled that I was able to find a few things (alternate ways of closing a particular design I was working on, etc) in this book. Also bought one for a girlfriend just getting into beading. She loved it! Chose it over another similiar choice.
on February 4, 2012
While this is a beautifully photographed, informative book it is much more than i needed. I read all the excellent reviews and decided that it would be a good place to start w/ beading .It has numerous complicated projects while I was looking for the most basic techniques w/ simple ,clear directions and close up photos of these techniques. There is nothing in the book that i would make , it is all very fussy and time-consuming. Beautifully done but not a beginners book.
on November 2, 2012
I was first given this book as a present. I loved it so much I then bought a copy for a friend, after comparing with a few others I looked at in a book store. This one far beat all the others I looked at: Better explanations, beautiful illustrations, countless examples, and, according to me, the best feature: every single step of beading is explained in details, so I can actually make what's in it!
on February 25, 2013
Laid out simply and I love the use of color on the pages. It is easy to find something again that you've read, while you are beading. When I thought, "Where did I see that" and needed it quick while I was beading (like crimps...) I found it right away. This book is great for a beginner or someone who has been beading for a while. It is full of good techniques.
on April 1, 2013
As I started jewelry making, I bought one book after another and each had helpful material in it. However, this book had all of the information anyone could want. I bought one for my daughter-in-law to continue her interest in jewelry-making.
on April 2, 2011
This is one amazing book! There are instructions for making anything from earrings to necklaces to rings and much more! There are detailed instructions for making everything, complete with full-color pictures, and lots of them! Diagrams for every kind of bead imagineable, charts showing the different necklace lengths, explanations of the different types of pliers... this book has it all! I am very impressed! Complete with 40 different projects, over 800 photos, and over 380 pages, this is an awesome book, and one you will definitely want to have in your library if you want to learn anything bead-related! The pictures in this book are like eye candy. So far I have made my own earrings following the instructions in the book, and I'm so looking forward to learning to make more of this stuff!
on November 28, 2011
The most useful book on beading techniques; Mastering the Art of Beading: Essential Tools and Techniques Every Jewelry Maker Must Know . It is comprehensive and provides quick reference to techniques. Very well packaged. Colorful and detailed information on tools and techniques.