Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

on August 23, 2008
One line conclusion: Recommended for serious developers using Dojo.

Comparing this book with the other two Dojo books (one published by O'Reilly and one by Addison-Wesley Professional), I feel the title of this book is justified. The contents of the other two are greatly overlapped with the free online documentation of Dojo [...]. If all you wanted is a Dojo book that resembles a print copy of the free on line book, then you can buy the other two. If you are asking for something more, like how Dojo actually works and how to customize Dojo build (a pivotal step to speed up your product) then this is the one you need. You will not find such detailed documentation from either the Dojo documentation or the other two books.

I take one star out because the contents of the book does not fully cover the functionality of Dojo, which is somewhat understandable as Dojo itself keeps evolving.
on August 10, 2013
Great material for Dojo v1.5 and earlier. Unfortunately, I had to use Dojo v1.8.1, and the book was useless, since the entire syntax for Dojo commands changed for v1.8... I had to go online to get the new syntax for v1.8.1, and there is no book available for this version...
on October 13, 2010
I used the book to help me get over the learning curve of using Dojo to implement a user interface with tabs and layout.

I needed to be able to create tabs programatically and remove them the same way.

This book helped me to do that. It also does a good job of helping make sense of the Library.

I found it useful.

It is the only Dojo book I have.
on April 30, 2009
I find that the book contains mostly beginner and intermediate information. Not enough advanced topics or talking about creation the programmatic way. The layout of the book is a bit odd (Drag and Drop is only talked about for a few pages within the context of working with the Tree widget). For more advanced developers looking for more of a reference book, consider looking elsewhere.
on September 2, 2008
To fully utilize this book, I suggest you read the Book of Dojo first. Then, for some few topics you still don't get, you need to read the blog of the authors. Compared to Using the Dojo JavaScript Library, I think this is more advanced. Of the 3 currently available Dojo books, this is the only book that discussed the Grid, devoting entirely one chapter in Chapter 14. It is also the only book that has an example of handling XML (handleAs: "xml").
on August 1, 2011
Mastering Dojo contains everything you need to know about the Dojo Toolkit. Not only will you learn the Dojo way, but you'll understand the underlying mechanisms that make it all work. Dojo gracefully takes care of the heavy-lifting when you create a rich user interface; Mastering Dojo takes care of showing you the way.
on October 12, 2008
MASTERING DOJO: JAVASCRIPT AND AJAX TOOLS FOR GREAT WEB EXPERIENCES is an essential key to modern web programming problems resolvable by Dojo. From basic usage of Dojo to advanced tutorials, MASTERING DOJO takes the form of a class in the program with chapters building a foundation of knowledge and discussing scripting, searches, and Dojo systems alike. It's an outstanding, detailed account filled with real-world examples and perfect for students and programmers applying Dojo to web problems.

Diane C. Donovan
California Bookwatch
on December 17, 2011
I've went through a lot of books looking for a good solid book on Dojo. This book by far is the best I've seen so far. It contains very thorough references and is a easy read. Some books I've seen gives you either convoluted text or kills you with a zillion screen shots. This book is the real deal and I highly recommend it.
on September 16, 2008
I haven't read the other Dojo books so I can't compare them. They may be very good too. This book is well orgainsed and well written. My advise to anyone starting from scratch is not to bother with the free online documentation, "The Book of Dojo", which is a spotty and unsystematic and start with this.
on March 14, 2015
Just bought it for a new project (3/2015) which has legacy dojo. Another developer saw me with it and told me to throw it away because it is too outdated and dojo has too many changes. Bummer. $6 down the drain (I bought it used). If it were up to date, it would be great.