5.0 out of 5 stars The Minasi Team is Back

Published on January 13, 2011 by C. Duncan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Minasi Team is Back, March 2, 2010
This review is from: Mastering Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 (Paperback)
I must say, unlike many people, I was not as excited about the Mastering Windows Server 2003 book (though I liked the SP1 and R2 Update Edition book very much). I felt the 2003 book was lacking that insightful depth that I so enjoyed when I first encountered Mark's books back in the 1990s. I assumed it was just that I knew much more about Windows environments now, but this book proves that was not the case.

I've been working with Windows Server 2008 R2 since the first TechNet Beta was released back in, I think it was, January of '09. I spent hours diving into the new features and then did the same with the release candidate and the RTM. However, I've had this book for less than two days and I've already encountered several excellent sections that clarified poorly written Microsoft documentation or provided new thoughts for the same technologies Microsoft covers in a different way.

The team for this book seems to have changed from the excellent team that delivered the Server 2003 Update Edition book and I was a little concerned when I saw this; however, my concerns were not well-founded. This team may be the best that Mark has ever put together for his Mastering series of books.

Now, for those who've worked with Windows Server 2008 over the past couple of years, you will love the small but important sections all through the book that cover "New... in Windows Server 2008 R2". You can replace the ... with Active Directory, TCP, DNS and many more. The point is that the book works for those completely new to Server 2008 or 2008 R2 and it helps those who've worked with Server 2008 find those nuggets of newness related only to Server 2008 R2. One of my favorite features, which the book addresses, is the new ability to use Server Manager to manage remote Windows Server 2008 R2 machines.

I can give this excellent book no less than five stars. Way to go team Minasi! This series is back on track.

2.0 out of 5 stars After trying out some implementation suggestions, not so good., January 13, 2011
C. Duncan (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mastering Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 (Paperback)
My first review of this book was very high, that was after I'd read through it and before I'd actually implemented many of the suggestions. To be fair the book focuses on 2008 R2 and Vista, our environment is 2008 R2 and Windows 7, so *maybe* some of the issues I uncovered, discrepancies between what Minasi instructs and how things actually work, has to do with Windows 7 vs. Vista... but I seriously doubt it, since W7 is built on Vista.

That said, things that don't work as profiled in the book:
Folder redirection with DFS and Offline files. This created a nightmare for us with the 'redirected folders' really only living ina a hidden cache file on the user's local machine and the actual files never getting copied to the targeted folder on the server.
DFS replication/ Multimaster DFS Replication: If you look through the Microsoft documentation, limited to folders that are "not dynamic on this you realize it has a *very limited* implementation limited to folder that are *not dynamic*... meaning anything that changes with any reasonable frequency, like, say Roaming Profile folders, or shared network drives.

Bottom line, the book is good at explaining some of the theory and definitions behind the topics, but actual implementation may lead you down a road you really don't want to travel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book as always, October 29, 2010
This review is from: Mastering Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 (Paperback)
I am following Mark Minasi and the Mastering Windows Series of books since 2000. I am very pleased with the content spectrum and the way it is delivered. It is a great source of information for IT professionals who want to cover most of Windows 2008 R2 with a single publication and for those who want to use it as a reference book.

It covers many of Windows 2008 R2 technologies including Networking Services, AD, IIS, VPN, etc and is full of configuration examples. Authors also summarize the theory behind the technologies in order to better understand why and how to use them

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource for yourServer R2 studies, October 24, 2010
This review is from: Mastering Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 (Paperback)
I purchased this book mainly because I neede a resource that included Server 2008 R2. I'm studying for the MCTS Applications Infrastructure 70-643 exam.This book has proved to be an excellent resource for this.
Some things that the authors missed in the book though. This is probably due to the timing of their publication and such. MS now has Sharepoint Foundation 2010 and they only cover Sharepoint 3.0. They also totally neglected to cover media services. Overall they did an excellent job
The chapters written by coauthor Darril Gibson I found to be concise, informative, and covered the material very well. I would have liked if he had covered Remote Desktop Virtualization Host more as that is one area in RDS where I have a lot of interest. I perused the other areas he wrote and found those chapters to be an easy read.
Overall a good book for those with real world server experience who need to learn Server 2008 R2. For me personally, I also got the Server 2008 R2 Unleashed book to help fill in the gray areas.

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend for Intermediate level administrators, June 24, 2010
This review is from: Mastering Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 (Paperback)
This book is very well written and highly readable. A great way to learn about Windows 2008 R2. Mark Minasi and his co-authors have a great writing style making it much more readable than the Microsoft books. This is the last book in a series of books that has run since the days of Windows NT 3.51. Windows has grown over that time and it is a struggle to get compressive coverage into a single book so it ends up being a bit light on many topics.

Advanced Systems Engineers will need more specialist books but I highly recommend this to Intermediate level administrators or Desktop support people wanting to move to Level 3 server support.

5.0 out of 5 stars No One Does it Better., April 26, 2010
This review is from: Mastering Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 (Paperback)
Anything written by Mark Minasi is golden. This book is no exception. Minasi anticipates your questions. He knows when subjects need fleshing out. He's a master explainer. I've gained so much from his writing I can't bring myself to throw away or even give away his older books. I keep them as reminders of how far I was able to get, in the world of technology, with the help of his books and conferences.
If you think you know it all you can still get much from this book. If you are like I was, many years ago, and hope to get a job in IT Mark Minasi is the foundation builder you've been looking. You can't go wrong with this book. It will become part of your permanent collection.
Timmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
x7c00

3.0 out of 5 stars Review of Mastering Windows Server 2008 R2, August 6, 2013
Sidney Harris (New York, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mastering Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 (Paperback)
When I purchased this book I had already installed Windows Server 2008 R2, so I cannot honestly comment on the Chapter 2 of this book which covers installation. As for the rest of this book it is a wealth of information on the subject. I would not recommend this book to beginners or novices. It is written in a style that assumes you are on an advanced level of understanding and that may be purposely done and that's ok. But I had a problem with all the figures/illustrations in this book, they are so small that one needs a magnifying glass in order to see them clearly. I would recommend this book for it's content, but make sure you keep a magnifying glass next to you while you read.

5.0 out of 5 stars We use this book as a reference at the college where I work, December 14, 2011
This review is from: Mastering Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 (Paperback)
I teach Windows 7 at Brookhaven College in Dallas Texas, and I have other instructors that teach Windows 2008. Although we use MOAC in the classroom, we're always looking for additional books to use as references. This book is a good fit for us. It allows us to offer a different perspective to our students and enables us to have loaners they can borrow for study. My students have said a lot of good things about the book, so I'm recommending it to others here.

5.0 out of 5 stars I taught the windows courses at American River College and used his books, June 16, 2014
This review is from: Mastering Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 (Paperback)
I still use them. He is a good author clearly written and easy for the computer illiterate to follow with guidence and detailed for the pro

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, June 1, 2014
This review is from: Mastering Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 (Paperback)
I've worked as a Systems Administrator for many years, and I found this book to be very worthwhile. Anyone who is looking for an overview on the subject that also goes into great practical detail will find this book useful. It's a much better source for relavent information than technet or google.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Mastering Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2
Mastering Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 by Darril Gibson (Paperback - February 2, 2010)
$59.99 $38.15