5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have Book for Nikon D7000 Owners!
A long review from a tough critic!
Published on September 23, 2011 by Anke

3.0 out of 5 stars Thorough, Accessible
There isn't much about about this rather complex camera that isn't dealt with in Mr. Young's book. I got the book the same time as I bought the D7000 camera and read it in place of studying the Nikon User's Manual. In a way, I regret that choice. Not the buying of the "Mastering" volume. But in reading it first instead of the official literature.

Here's why...
Published on June 19, 2012 by BravoZulu

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have Book for Nikon D7000 Owners!, September 23, 2011
Anke "Anke Jorrit" (Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mastering the Nikon D7000 (Paperback)
A long review from a tough critic!
First off, I am a new DSLR user. Back in my film days, I had a Nikon N90...I was ready to take the plung to digital after more than disappointing results with my photos from the World Equestrian Games the fall of 2010. A kind soul at one of the shows let me play with her Nikon D300s...it was that point I knew I was ready for a DSLR. After a month of research, I was convinced I 'needed' the D7000 that was set to release in November 2010...after more research (and reading lots of reviews) I made the purchase of my D7000 in August of 2011 (along with a large wish list that had grown over the months leading up to the DSLR purchase!)...

Mastering the D7000 is my third book purchase on the Nikon D7000. I also have the two books by David Busch (the field guide and the main book Nikon D7000 Guide to Digital SLR Photography). While these books are nice, and explain the users manual well, they only scratch the surface. Oh, I do not even know where to start on the awesomeness of Darrell Youngs 'Mastering the Nikon D7000'.

This book is hands down, the best of the best. Each section references the page(es) in the users manual which I really like. The book also sports a nice index and table of contents. Each section has a 'thumb-tab' (black edge and chapter number) so you can easily flip through the section. Almost every chapter has a full blank page for notes at the end of the chapter.

Darrell gives excellent in-depth explainations of EVERYTHING you could possibly want to know...digging into areas where the David Busch books skimmed over (the David Busch books briefly explained some of the advanced areas, but didn't give any in-depth explaination ---much less an example!). This book gives personal examples throughout the book and suggestions, even offering his setting for this item (and why he has it set this way).

The books has EXCELLENT photos of the menu paths. Other books have one big picture of the top level menu. This book has at least two and up to six (!), screenshots of the menu path on how to get to the setting and set it! Where there are multiple screenshots, they are placed horizonally across the screen and numbered to outline the flow (left to right as you would expect). I love this!!

The book is super nice...nice paper, nice color pictures and lots and lots of nice color screenshots of menus! Nice sized book - 479 pages and small enough to fit in your bag (although the page count does tend to make it a little heavy)

The book also uses color coding, numbering and italics/bold....Blue to refer to camera settings, green for functions and settings displayed on the cameras LCD screen, and italics for textual prompts seen on the cameras LCD screen. I LOVE this feature...it really helps the text 'pop' making the text an easy read. Darrell also uses outline features: numbering 1,2,3...bullets and alpha a,b,c....this also helps break up the text and makes the text easy to read.

I cannot express enough how much I love this book. I am a hardcore 'book person', and am VERY judgemental when it comes to books and what I like. When I purchase a book, binding, paper and format are important to me if I am going to read and reread the book...I don't want it to fall apart after light use.

Also, I signed up for Nikonian.org, I stumbled upon this site before this book came and was surprised to see forum posts answered by Darrell! This site is the office e-mag site for Nikon photographers....great site, sign up if you aren't already a memeber! This book also has a 50% off coupon for the Gold membership (I actually opted for the cheapy $25 option...you get it free for 30days when you sign up).

Buy this book! If you own/plan on owning a D7000, you NEED this book, or else you are going to be missing features the camera has, that other books neglect mentioning...or explaining how to set up and use! A 10-star book! The authors enthusiasm for the Nikon D7000 is clearly shown throughout the book :)

Thanks!
Anke

5.0 out of 5 stars D7000 Complexities made Simple and Clear!, August 8, 2011
"Digital Darrell" Young has done it again. This author excels at taking complex subjects, and explaining them in a manner that makes them very easy to understand. In explaining the countless and complex features of this camera, I find the information to be short, sweet, and to the point. I have been using my D7000 for 8 months preceeding the publication of this book, yet on every page I am finding important facts that I was not at all aware of prior to reading this book. The insight of the day so far? -- The minimum ISO setting on a Nikon D7000. Sure, Auto ISO lets you set a max ISO, but it wasn't until reading this book that I was aware of a minimum ISO as well! Brilliant material in this book for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Skip the rest, this is the best!, August 8, 2011
You will not be disappointed with Darrell Young's thorough coverage of the Nikon D7000. Not only does he give advice based on his excellent working knowledge of the camera's features, but also he provides his recommendations about them--how HE uses each feature. As an extensive Nikon shooter with a collection of Nikon cameras and lenses to drool over, Darrell is the perfect expert to consult.

Also, the book is lengthy, and having the ebook version handy while learning the ins and outs of this new camera and/or going deeper into unexplored features is easier than carrying around the book. That said...I am still looking forward to owning the hard copy too. Ok, so I'm a fan...but with merit. I used Darrell's "Mastering the D90" until it was dog-eared (and still refer to it when using that camera body).

Whether you are an experienced or new photographer, this book is a must-have for the Nikon D7000.

3.0 out of 5 stars Thorough, Accessible, June 19, 2012
This review is from: Mastering the Nikon D7000 (Paperback)

Here's why. Having had experience with training professionals in complicated skills -- flying 747s -- I should have known that the fastest and surest way of learning would be to "let my fingers do the walking". Young's book is abstract. As it has to be, I suppose. But getting out with the camera and trying every button and dial, making mistakes, trying over again are better learning strategies. I spent 3 weeks with the Young book on a couch and my eyes glazed over. In that time, I took less than 40 images and the camera felt like a stranger in my hands.

The official User's Manual has you shooting pictures within 20 pages and gives just enough facts to anchor your understanding. To their credit, Nikon's writers don't go into long-winded discussions of digital photography. The User's Manual is action orientated. Subjects and camera functions are dealt with in a direct, succinct manner. And thus they are easy to remember.

Now, after two months and a little experience, I can go back to the "Mastering" book for fuller explanations. So, to the reader I would suggest mastering the camera rather than trying to master the book first. It will save you time, and does not diminish the depth of Darrell Young's vast knowledge. It's a matter of prioritizing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear & Concise, September 19, 2011
This review is from: Mastering the Nikon D7000 (Paperback)
I recently purchased my Nikon D7000 from Amazon (a significant step up from my D40)and I was bewildered. I subsequently purchased several D7000 "how-to" books and they helped - somewhat. The operation of the auto-focus system was very confusing and I had problems with the many buttons/menus. What do I do with all that capability? Then along came Darrell Young's book. Bingo! While I will continue to learn - Darrell's book has uniquely helped me put it all together and I am now determined to master the D7000. I now realize that I purchased a capable, state-of-the-art camera - and, when coupled with Darrell's book - well a beginner to DSLR photography need not be frightened. I could go into several details - but others here have covered many of them very well. I might add: I was so impressed with Darrell's book - I just joined Nikonians! Way to go Darrell...........

5.0 out of 5 stars A must!!, August 19, 2011
This review is from: Mastering the Nikon D7000 (Paperback)
This book is the perfect companion for your powerfull Nikon D7000!! I own a couple of other guides, and neither gives the in-depth yet ease of understanding that this book provides. Moreover, it has a great chapter on the Nioon CLS that, alone, is worth a million buckes in pearls of wisdom.
Don't hesitate, you wont be disapointed!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A camera guide worth owning., August 22, 2011
This review is from: Mastering the Nikon D7000 (Paperback)
First camera guide I've ever felt worthy of purchase. I'm using it like a workbook. Going thru page by page with camera in hand. The D7000 is truly a powerful camera and I don't want to overlook any features. Though I have used the D70s, D80 and D90 successfully for years the D7K demands the best from it's users. Until I found this book I would've winged it with the manual. The best thing about this 496 page guide is the recommendations after each section. For once a camera guide worth buying. The D7K is a little bit different from the other Nikons. If you have one, invest in yourself and learn it inside out. Best ten or twenty dollar bill you'll spend in a long time. I have the hard copy format.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent learning tool for a very capable camera, August 7, 2011
Darrell has stepped up to the challenge of writing a master reference on what is probably the most complex (and feature rich) camera that Nikon has produced to date. His analysis of all the options and settings of the D7000 is comprehensive, understandable, and very welcome. I ordered the Kindle version and have read it cover to cover. It works great on both the portable Kindle and the PC Kindle. My initial reading was on the PC, where color in the menus, illustrations and photos is displayed. I plan to keep the monochrome version on my Kindle (along with the D7000 manual PDF) for handy reference when out shooting.

Darrell supplements this comprehensive reference with online information for digital SLR beginners. He does not include the basics of digital photography and digital SLRs in Mastering the D7000, because that would be another complete book.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars As Promoted, August 20, 2011
Dr. Patrick Buick (Venice, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
Mastering the Nikon D7000I have been waiting for delivery of Darrell's latest contribution to Nikon literature. I am not disappointed. I am a Nikonian from my film days to my D70 and now the D7000. I bought the camera in January and have been learning slowly its many functions. This book will save new users months of learning time. I have only had the book for three hours but my excitement with what I have seen so far prompted this initial response. The organization of the contents is far superior to the users manual. I am happy and I believe you will be too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon D7000 Explained the easy way, August 18, 2011
This review is from: Mastering the Nikon D7000 (Paperback)
Every thing you always wanted to know about your Nikon D7000 explained in an easy to read manner. Very informative and in a relaxed and friendly manner. Darrell has written a wonderful book that answers your questions without being dry and boring. I have read several D7000 books and now, with Darrell's book I understand several things about HDR, U1 and U2, that I just couldn't quite figure out from the other books. The Kindle version has a few limitations in the graphics, that are the fault of the Kindle, not the authors. I have this book on my iPad, Kindle and PC, and it's a great reference to have available all the time. If you have a Nikon D7000, buy it now, you won't regret it.

Mastering the Nikon D7000
Mastering the Nikon D7000 by Darrell Young (Paperback - August 15, 2011)
$34.95 $20.27