Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on February 16, 2004
Doug Swenson's Mastering the Secrets of Yoga Flow is for you if you are interested in starting a home practice or if you are wanting to incorporate yoga into more aspects of your life. Part II offers detailed, yet easy to follow instructions for asana practice, and covers sequencing and linking the asanas with vinyasas. The vinyasas give the routine its unique flavor, since Swenson connects one asana to another through tai chi-type movements that work with the energy of the natural environment. The book encourages creativity, giving the yogi choices of asanas from which to choose in designing a safe practice. I loved Part III the most, though, for its discussion on meditation, diet, cross-training, and bringing yoga into your daily life. In a very non-judgmental manner, Swenson describes how to progress to a diet plan that is healthy and life-sustaining. I expect to refer back to the book for years to come.
on February 12, 2004
Mastering the Secrets of Yoga Flow is an excellent book on a truly unique form of yoga personally developed by Doug Swenson. Doug's Sadhana Yoga is one of the most graceful and naturally flowing I have seen. Doug's experience with tai chi is very much evident, with beautifully flowing vinyasas concentrated on the movement of energy. Using the power of the breath and the strength and energy of nature he literally seems to flow like water. The book eagerly covers both soft and hard flowing asana and includes modifications and instructions with props, making it ideal for both beginners and those looking for a more sophisticated and meditative yoga style. Doug provides not only complete routines for beginner and advanced students, but includes in-depth sections on meditation, discussing breath, visual and sound exercises; nutrition; and life beyond the mat. I found the chapter on nutrition and the advocating of a raw food diet especially interesting. With our current culture of Atkins obsession, Doug's discussion of the importance of protein and carbohydrates in a balanced diet was refreshing. The chapter discusses a healthy attitude toward food, and includes meal plans for three levels of dieters. Mastering the Secrets is a wonderful book with a fabulous holistic approach to yoga. I highly recommend it not only for great instruction but for purely magical inspiration.
on March 30, 2005
Mastering the Secrets of Yoga Flow is an excellent book that captures all of the components of yoga.

There are clear instructions and excellent photos for the postures, suggested routines for all levels, tips on nutrition, and guidelines for meditation.

My favorite feature of the book is the openness with which it is written. Doug encourages the yogi to be creative with their practice and offers modifications and sequencing to boot.

Check out his DVD of the same title; it helped me really understand the flow of the practice by watching his demonstrations.
11 comment11 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 15, 2004
A+ for Dougs new book, "Mastering the Secrets of Yoga Flow." This book is a great book for any Yogi. I love the way Doug flows in and out of asanas. And in this book, he shows you how. He also has alot of information on diet and nutrition, which many yoga books don't. His book is filled with so much information. I am co-director of Seaside Yoga, and I strongly recommend this book to all of our students that come to our studio. It has something for everybody and for every level.
on February 2, 2004
Doug Swenson - Author MSYF
In writing this book...my goal was to support and enhance all different styles of yoga practice through the use of a unique wholistic approach. My book presents a new style of Yoga Practice in a beautiful down to Earth manor. I have named this new Style of Yoga - "Sadhana Yoga Chi" which means - (Practice Quest - Union of Energy) - We are all different and have a variety of interest, goals and dreams...yet our common interest is yoga. All those who actually read this book will find the words and concepts to touch their heart, mind and practice in a positive way. Highlights...Universal concept, Wonderful discription of Hard and Soft yoga practice, Unique Vinyasa system, Updated chapter on diet and nutrition, Cross training with yoga and other exercise, Support of Ecology and guidelines on how to use your yogic energy to touch your whole life.
I also have a wonderful DVD to complement the book...due out - March 1st, 2004.
Blessings and Love Doug Swenson
on February 14, 2004
Mastering The Secrets is a great read covering everything from poses to nutrition and lifestyle. Pretty easy and user friendly languaging and helpful pictures to boot. Dougs style has a very natural and invigorating flow which I liken to yoga meets tai-chi. I would highly recommend the book to any level of practicioner! Much like learning from Doug in person, the book has a very knowledgable yet layed back and often humerous style. Enjoy!
on February 4, 2004
Having been practicing Yoga for only a year, I am picking up books left and right trying to find some that help me to incorporate the spirit of what I learn in class with my own private study. This book does just that. I was lucky enough to attend one of Doug's workshops in Pensacola, and this book does a really good job of explaining the concept and practice of "flow". I have visited visited many studios and been lucky enough to find one that truly centers on the concept of spirituality versus exercise. I search for this "feel" when I am searching for good yoga books. Doug's ability to effortlessly float through vinyassas is perfectly translated and easily understandable in this book. I consider it essential to my book collection and would strongly reccomend it. It really was a wonderful way to interpret and review the wonderful experience of Doug's classes.
on January 29, 2004
With so many books on yoga about, it was refreshing to find one that offers something a little different and something quite special. The author, who has been practicing yoga for over 30 years, has devised a new style of beautifully sequenced postures in such a unique and wonderfully flowing manner that you just seem to glide effortlessly along. There are clear instructions and inspiring photographs for complete beginners through to the very advanced and a lot more .. pranayama, meditation, cross-training information and a great section on nutrition. Overall, I think this is an excellent guide; clearly and beautifully written, offering a complete holistic approach to your practice and life.
on February 10, 2004
This is a wonderful book. There are easy to follow instructions for all levels. Doug has developed an inspirational, multidimensional, and transformational approach--Sadhana Yoga--to a 5,000 year old tradition. It is a reflection of his deep respect for the traditional yogic observances. His writing exemplifies his spirit beautifully--equanimity, strength, and softness. This book will make you want to study with him.
on February 3, 2004
Not only are the vinyasas at once fresh and yogically sound, the chapter on nutrition is wonderful. Doug encourages us to move gently into a whole or possibly raw food diet by first starting out with juicing. He emphasizes raw juices and a diet of almost 70% raw foods in a do-able way. How many yoga books have new information in them? They can introduce and inspire us to read the sacred texts, and that's important to us all. But as far as asana and pranayama go, at best, we can discover innovative vinyasas and sequences, and this is what Doug delivers. Plus, he demonstrates them beautifully! Doug has successfully created a whole body system for someone not new to yoga, but possibly new to wholistic health. This is a great addition to my yoga book library.