Industrial-Sized Deals BOTMKT15 Shop Women's Fall Denim Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums See All Deals Storm Fire TV Stick Grocery Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all furious7 furious7 furious7  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage Assassin's Creed Syndicate Shop Now Deal of the Day

Masterpiece Mystery: Endeavour
Format: DVDChange
Price:$24.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on February 25, 2012
This single 98 minute DVD plots out Morse's early police career as a young rookie detective on assignment to Oxford in 1965 tacking his first big case searching for a missing 15-year old girl .
Shaun Evans does a superb job, in what must have been a tough role to cast, following in the late John Thaw's classic role. Overall the acting is excellent, with Roger Allam playing an especially good supporting role as Inspector Fred Thursday.
The production team certainly achieved the feel of the old Inspector Morse series, with sweeping shots of Oxford colleges and the local surrounding area. This is an excellent stand alone British drama, but for those Inspector Morse aficionados there are many references to his future character that we see being developed, including a particularly poignant ending.
Endeavour [ NON-USA FORMAT, PAL, Reg.2 Import - United Kingdom ]
2020 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I just finished watching this video and was stunned at how wonderful it was. Having watched all of the Morse videos and being a big fan of them, I was sure I was going to find that Endeavour was "different" or not up to the standards set by the original videos.
Endeavour has the same complex plotting, the same haunted characters, the same flavor, the same bureaucratic conflicts with other police personnel, and even more continuations from the originals. It is apparent that they deliberately worked very hard to retain the true ambiance of the Morse videos.
The actor playing the young Morse I was prepared to not like but came away thoroughly impressed by how well he captured the character that was well-established by John Thaw. It was a hard act to follow but he did it impressively well. By the end you just knew you were watching the young Morse and it was a joy. You even see the Jaguar at the car dealer and you just know he is going to go back and buy it and drive it for the rest of his life. There are many other blendings of the old to the new that are subtle but apparent to the regular Morse watcher.
I highly recommend watching this video and hope that you find it as enjoyable as I did. I know I will re-watch it in the future as I do with the other Morse videos.
And it would be even more amazing if they made more of the Endeavour videos in the future.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 1, 2013
The movie which was shown on PBS was excellent! I enjoyed it so much that I bought this DVD. So I am totally shocked that so many parts have been edited out. Why would they do this? The more usual event is that the Masterpiece shows on TV (Such as Agatha Christie movies) have been edited down for television.
But in this case, the TV version has the complete movie.
The DVD is missing many important parts, not the least of which is the complete ending. Good grief.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 16, 2012
A first rate production and a good beginning to the Morse "saga", which still continues now with the "Lewis" series. (If young Mr. Fox continues as he has so far, may we be treated to a further continuation of the Morse story after "Lewis"?) The producers have caught the essence of Morse in this initial (I hope) episode of the story of his early life as a detective. The lead actor's appearance is a jolt at first but by the end of the show one forgets that initial experience and sees the young Endeavour Morse as "Morse", and not just in the rear view mirror. Well done!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have watched the Inspector Morse series plus read the novels. One would think that inventing a prequel featuring a young Morse at the beginning of his career would be doomed to fail since it is usually unwise to mess with a brilliant piece of work. Not so here. This is every bit as good as original show based on the novels.

The reason this is called ENDEAVOUR is that is Morse's first name, one which he has always hated but is oddly apt for him.

This mystery involves the murder of a teenager who was ripe beyond her years at age fifteen. Morse investigates a variety of suspects, including a high reaching prostitution ring plus a married Oxford don who was tutoring the girl. While investigating the don, he meets one of his all time heroines as the don has married one of his favorite opera stars.

There is the creation of a mentor for Morse, Detective Thursday, who is quite good as well. Morse is the better detective but he needs Thursday's mentoring and wisdom as he is in his rawest, unformed state as yet.

I have just read that after the success of this two hour standalone, a series of episodes will now be produced in the UK. I can hardly wait!

Visit my blog with link given on my profile page here or use this phonetically given URL (livingasseniors dot blogspot dot com). Friday's entry will always be weekend entertainment recs from my 5 star Amazon reviews in film, tv, books and music. These are very heavy on buried treasures and hidden gems. My blogspot is published on Monday, Wednesday & Friday.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Fans of the Inspector Morse series can be heartened. "Endeavour" is the pilot for the upcoming British series that goes back in time to reveal a young Morse working on his first real police case, giving us one more opportunity to get to know one of our favorite English detectives.

Basically it's the same folks who've given us the Morse series and later the very successful (and very well done ) Sergeant Lewis series--and no complaints. In this pilot, sometimes a bit rough at the edges and certainly evolves into a bit of a melodramatic ending, a young Shawn Evans gives us great background--and understanding--of the inimitable Morse. It's a good biographical study--but only enough to give us a better knowledge of what makes Morse tick.

In this initial episode, a young (15-year-old) girl turns up missing and soon after turns up very dead. Young Morse is assigned to the case and, well, the story goes from there, with the usual Colin Dexterian-like twists, turns, reversals, and surprises. What is not surprising, of course, is that Morse is on the scene. We know what to expect.

For Morse fans, it's great having him back and the screenwriters have made certain that just enough of "the old stuff" is included to make the episode realistic and worth watching. It provides us to better know the later, older Morse--and it's exciting to catch the allusions to the later Morse episodes.

After this pilot, of course, the younger Morse will "come of age" and his character will step outside the obvious references to the older Morse and will stand on his own. Young Morse gets caught up with the crosswords, he's introduced to that red Jag, he takes his first pint, he reveals his love of opera, he comes through full of integrity, but not yet full of himself and his abilities. And he's got a great mentor, Fred Thursday, and even Colin Dexter makes his trademark cameo appearance (watch for it--it's brief!). Barrington Pheloung, a by word with Morse episodes, is there to set the music.

We can now look forward to the series episodes.

The Brits certainly know how to make a mystery series.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Being a huge fan of John Thaw's and "Inspector Morse", I was hoping I would not be disappointed while watching "Endeavour". I was determined to keep an open mind and try to enjoy this pre-quel.

I was not disappointed! The lead actor was wonderful! I enjoyed the references to the Future Morse and the chemistry between him and Inspector Thursday was wonderful. I see how Thursday's style of mentoring rubbed off on Morse and how Morse was able to translate that to his style of mentoring Lewis, and Lewis to Hathaway.

This episode was SO clever -- I didn't see it coming! The plotting was even and all the actors were well suited to their roles. Nice to see some familiar faces also.

BRAVO! BRAVO! BRAVO! Hoping for future installments. Well done!
on July 2, 2012
I have not watched the dvd yet. I watched this show on You Tube. I thought it was great. But than I decided to watch it again on PBS. What I discovered was that they edited scenes out of it. The show on you tube was 98 minutes, the show on PBS was barely 90 minutes. If I had not watched the You Tube show first I guess I wold not of noticed. I feel cheated. I hope the dvd will be longer.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Anyone who was a fan of John Thaw's 'Inspector Morse' was heartbroken when in the last episode of the series he died. And, then, in real life, John Thaw died soon after. 'Inspector Morse' was to me, the irrefutable detective of the BBC Mystery, well wrought, well written, so well acted and, we grew to love the irascible Morse. It was a joy to watch his episodes, and the series continues strong today.

In 2012, someone thought to write a show about the young Inspector Morse. Morse, is an Oxford dropout, returning when he's temporarily assigned to the Oxford branch, taking part in an ongoing investigation surrounding the disappearance of a 15-year-old girl. The old Morse loved Oxford, crossword puzzles and opera. Working by himself, for the most part, he finds clues others have missed. Just like the Morse of old. Detective Inspector Fred Thursday recognizes young Morse's talents, and, others are upset with this newcomer.

Shaun Evans plays the young Morse, and what a job well done! I was a little leery at first, but the young Morse grew on me. He had the same qualities we loved in the old Morse. The love of cars, the opera and pretty women. His job is his life, but he has some very beautiful women friends. I will look forward to the next series.

Recommended. prisrob 04-18-13
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
If you are a dyed-in-the-wool Morse fan, you will love this. Not only have they cast a first-class, believeable young Morse, they cast a pathologist you would swear was really a younger version of the one in the Morse series. Would love to see these develop (another 10 or 20? - I am really a fan). Thoroughly enjoyed this.