5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring prequel to the classic Inspector Morse series
This single 98 minute DVD plots out Morse's early police career as a young rookie detective on assignment to Oxford in 1965 tacking his first big case searching for a missing 15-year old girl .
Published on February 25, 2012 by uktravailer

3.0 out of 5 stars Why the cuts???
The movie which was shown on PBS was excellent! I enjoyed it so much that I bought this DVD. So I am totally shocked that so many parts have been edited out. Why would they do this? The more usual event is that the Masterpiece shows on TV (Such as Agatha Christie movies) have been edited down for television.
But in this case, the TV version has the complete...
Published 12 months ago by Reading Rita

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring prequel to the classic Inspector Morse series, February 25, 2012
This review is from: Endeavour [Region 2] (DVD)
Shaun Evans does a superb job, in what must have been a tough role to cast, following in the late John Thaw's classic role. Overall the acting is excellent, with Roger Allam playing an especially good supporting role as Inspector Fred Thursday.
The production team certainly achieved the feel of the old Inspector Morse series, with sweeping shots of Oxford colleges and the local surrounding area. This is an excellent stand alone British drama, but for those Inspector Morse aficionados there are many references to his future character that we see being developed, including a particularly poignant ending.
Endeavour [ NON-USA FORMAT, PAL, Reg.2 Import - United Kingdom ]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great prequel!, June 20, 2012
This review is from: Masterpiece Mystery: Endeavour (DVD)
I just finished watching this video and was stunned at how wonderful it was. Having watched all of the Morse videos and being a big fan of them, I was sure I was going to find that Endeavour was "different" or not up to the standards set by the original videos.
Endeavour has the same complex plotting, the same haunted characters, the same flavor, the same bureaucratic conflicts with other police personnel, and even more continuations from the originals. It is apparent that they deliberately worked very hard to retain the true ambiance of the Morse videos.
The actor playing the young Morse I was prepared to not like but came away thoroughly impressed by how well he captured the character that was well-established by John Thaw. It was a hard act to follow but he did it impressively well. By the end you just knew you were watching the young Morse and it was a joy. You even see the Jaguar at the car dealer and you just know he is going to go back and buy it and drive it for the rest of his life. There are many other blendings of the old to the new that are subtle but apparent to the regular Morse watcher.
I highly recommend watching this video and hope that you find it as enjoyable as I did. I know I will re-watch it in the future as I do with the other Morse videos.
And it would be even more amazing if they made more of the Endeavour videos in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars More Please, March 16, 2012
This review is from: Endeavour [Region 2] (DVD)
A first rate production and a good beginning to the Morse "saga", which still continues now with the "Lewis" series. (If young Mr. Fox continues as he has so far, may we be treated to a further continuation of the Morse story after "Lewis"?) The producers have caught the essence of Morse in this initial (I hope) episode of the story of his early life as a detective. The lead actor's appearance is a jolt at first but by the end of the show one forgets that initial experience and sees the young Endeavour Morse as "Morse", and not just in the rear view mirror. Well done!

3.0 out of 5 stars Why the cuts???, April 1, 2013
Reading Rita "Rita" (lake oswego, or United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Masterpiece Mystery: Endeavour (DVD)
But in this case, the TV version has the complete movie.
The DVD is missing many important parts, not the least of which is the complete ending. Good grief.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Endeavour" endeavors to supplement the Morse series, June 19, 2012
This review is from: Masterpiece Mystery: Endeavour (DVD)
Fans of the Inspector Morse series can be heartened. "Endeavour" is the pilot for the upcoming British series that goes back in time to reveal a young Morse working on his first real police case, giving us one more opportunity to get to know one of our favorite English detectives.

Basically it's the same folks who've given us the Morse series and later the very successful (and very well done ) Sergeant Lewis series--and no complaints. In this pilot, sometimes a bit rough at the edges and certainly evolves into a bit of a melodramatic ending, a young Shawn Evans gives us great background--and understanding--of the inimitable Morse. It's a good biographical study--but only enough to give us a better knowledge of what makes Morse tick.

In this initial episode, a young (15-year-old) girl turns up missing and soon after turns up very dead. Young Morse is assigned to the case and, well, the story goes from there, with the usual Colin Dexterian-like twists, turns, reversals, and surprises. What is not surprising, of course, is that Morse is on the scene. We know what to expect.

For Morse fans, it's great having him back and the screenwriters have made certain that just enough of "the old stuff" is included to make the episode realistic and worth watching. It provides us to better know the later, older Morse--and it's exciting to catch the allusions to the later Morse episodes.

After this pilot, of course, the younger Morse will "come of age" and his character will step outside the obvious references to the older Morse and will stand on his own. Young Morse gets caught up with the crosswords, he's introduced to that red Jag, he takes his first pint, he reveals his love of opera, he comes through full of integrity, but not yet full of himself and his abilities. And he's got a great mentor, Fred Thursday, and even Colin Dexter makes his trademark cameo appearance (watch for it--it's brief!). Barrington Pheloung, a by word with Morse episodes, is there to set the music.

We can now look forward to the series episodes.

The Brits certainly know how to make a mystery series.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Rate Morse Prequel--don't miss this!!!!!!, July 10, 2012
I have watched the Inspector Morse series plus read the novels. One would think that inventing a prequel featuring a young Morse at the beginning of his career would be doomed to fail since it is usually unwise to mess with a brilliant piece of work. Not so here. This is every bit as good as original show based on the novels.

The reason this is called ENDEAVOUR is that is Morse's first name, one which he has always hated but is oddly apt for him.

This mystery involves the murder of a teenager who was ripe beyond her years at age fifteen. Morse investigates a variety of suspects, including a high reaching prostitution ring plus a married Oxford don who was tutoring the girl. While investigating the don, he meets one of his all time heroines as the don has married one of his favorite opera stars.

There is the creation of a mentor for Morse, Detective Thursday, who is quite good as well. Morse is the better detective but he needs Thursday's mentoring and wisdom as he is in his rawest, unformed state as yet.

I have just read that after the success of this two hour standalone, a series of episodes will now be produced in the UK. I can hardly wait!

5.0 out of 5 stars BRAVO! BRAVO! BRAVO! We'd like more please!, July 2, 2012
This review is from: Masterpiece Mystery: Endeavour (DVD)
Being a huge fan of John Thaw's and "Inspector Morse", I was hoping I would not be disappointed while watching "Endeavour". I was determined to keep an open mind and try to enjoy this pre-quel.

I was not disappointed! The lead actor was wonderful! I enjoyed the references to the Future Morse and the chemistry between him and Inspector Thursday was wonderful. I see how Thursday's style of mentoring rubbed off on Morse and how Morse was able to translate that to his style of mentoring Lewis, and Lewis to Hathaway.

This episode was SO clever -- I didn't see it coming! The plotting was even and all the actors were well suited to their roles. Nice to see some familiar faces also.

BRAVO! BRAVO! BRAVO! Hoping for future installments. Well done!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent casting, July 2, 2012
This review is from: Masterpiece Mystery: Endeavour (DVD)
If you are a dyed-in-the-wool Morse fan, you will love this. Not only have they cast a first-class, believeable young Morse, they cast a pathologist you would swear was really a younger version of the one in the Morse series. Would love to see these develop (another 10 or 20? - I am really a fan). Thoroughly enjoyed this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch dvd and not the PBS show., July 2, 2012
This review is from: Masterpiece Mystery: Endeavour (DVD)
I have not watched the dvd yet. I watched this show on You Tube. I thought it was great. But than I decided to watch it again on PBS. What I discovered was that they edited scenes out of it. The show on you tube was 98 minutes, the show on PBS was barely 90 minutes. If I had not watched the You Tube show first I guess I wold not of noticed. I feel cheated. I hope the dvd will be longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mystery story, September 26, 2012
This review is from: Masterpiece Mystery: Endeavour (DVD)
I loved this prequel to Inspector Morse. Shaun Evans is perfect for the role and I am glad that more episodes will be made. Great story with twists and turns that are needed in a mystery. Having Abigail Thaw in the episode was a stroke of genius and a fine tribute to her father. She's a great actress on her own. I look forward to the new episodes. Thank you Colin Dexter for your well-written stories.

ARRAY(0xae2184bc)

Masterpiece Mystery: Endeavour
Masterpiece Mystery: Endeavour by Colm McCarthy (DVD - 2012)
$24.99 $13.93