5.0 out of 5 stars A Winning Compilation of Inspiring Collage Art!
Published on June 6, 2010 by MusingCrow

2.0 out of 5 stars Surrealism using antique paper and imagery predominates.
This book collects about forty artists' work in medium size reproduction of high quality.

Published on March 6, 2012 by M. B. Stevens

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Winning Compilation of Inspiring Collage Art!, June 6, 2010
MusingCrow "mzjohansen" (Friday Harbor, WA, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Masters: Collage: Major Works by Leading Artists (Paperback)
When I was young my step-mother's 'thing' was decoupage. For some odd reason I always equated decoupage with collage and, as such, was never that interested in the process. A turn in my artistic path has led to me to become besotted with art journaling however - and with art journaling has come an interest in collage. Yes! Collage. I never saw it coming. Collage has not been an easy thing for me to do - I tend to over think a page, but it is becoming easier and more enjoyable for me as I do more of it - as with anything in life - it's all easy when we know how - and it's all a bit intimidating when we don't know how!

Lark Books has a fabulous series that I love - the 'Masters' series. I was fortunate to have been able to review their 2008 publication "Masters- Art Quilts" I don't know how they manage to get the quality photography and gorgeous paper in these books and still offer them at such reasonable prices, but I am glad that they do! I tend to 'feel' the paper quality of books - and I am also particular about type fonts. I love everything about the Master series of books! I was therefore, thrilled when I was given the opportunity to review this book, the latest in the 'Masters' series.

"Masters Collage" is veritable treasure trove of work by leading collage artists that was thoughtfully curated by collage artist and teacher Randel Plowman. Of more than 200 entries he distilled his selections down to the work of 40 artists. Randel's introduction is excellent; very informative and well written. The styles of collage that are represented in this book vary from minimalist work to jam packed hi voltage pieces. The represented works include styles that are comic-esqe, fine art, humorous, thoughtful, inspirational - indeed, so many styles are represented that my mind is boggled at how many varieties of art can be included in the term 'collage'. I look at the work in this book and become inspired. That, to me, is the mark of a great book - a book that moves you to create more of your own art! The artists include men and women. A variety and several examples of each artist's work is preceded by a short, well done biography.

As you look through this book you just can't help but think about the process that was used, the content of the image and what you might want to do with a similar subject matter. This is an inspirational and informative book that I think that anyone who enjoys art, collage, or mixed media work will find it to be thoroughly engrossing. Looking at the work presented in this book is like creativity fodder. I highly recommend this book - and indeed I think any book in this "Masters" series will not disappoint. Buy this book - I don't think that you will regret it for a moment!

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary, June 14, 2010
Wow!! Finally a true "art book" of the modern masters of collage, not a how-to instruction manual, but a beautiful book of superbly reproduced collages. It includes some of the most innovative and talented collage and mixed-media artists around. A definite must for any collagist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth your time & your $!, June 30, 2010
As a collage artist, I eagerly awaited the release of this lavish book. I enjoyed the works presented over a number of mornings with my cup of coffee in the bright June sunlight. I didn't want to come to the end!
The variety of artists represented is impressive. The brief insights shared by them are personal and revealing. The color reproductions are truly lovely. So, that said, get this book, grab your coffee and relish! Thanks to Randall Plowman for his efforts and vision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the work!, September 3, 2010
Ann M. (Southeastern Ohio) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed this book. The writing was interesting and improved your understanding of the artists work. I appreciate the fact that this was not a how to book. It is a wonderful survey of college artists, whose work is relevant today.
High quality pictures, many images of each artist's work and nicely laid out.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully varied pick of techniques!, August 15, 2010
Any arts and crafts collection will find Masters: Collage a powerful pick, presenting a strong survey of collages form leading modern international artists working in the medium. Each page holds one or two several good-sized color photos of the collage, brief descriptions of medium, and makes for a fine portfolio of varied techniques and examples. A wonderfully varied pick of techniques!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine Art Collage, May 3, 2011
I have to respond to the comments that the book is disappointing and boring. I suppose if you are expecting a Stampington publication, this book may disappoint. But, if you like fine art collage inspired by Schwitters, Rauschenberg, DaDa, Cornell, etc., the artists in "Masters: Collage" will definitely NOT disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars A collage museum in a book, July 26, 2011
Few words and an overload of inspiration, that's how I would describe this wonderful feast on the eyes.

I've had this book on my coffee table for about half a year before I completely finished it. It took me that long to get through it, not because it's no good, but because there's simply too much to see and my mind couldn't cope with all those beautiful images at once ;-) And now that I'm all through, I might as well start over again, cause this is one you can come back to again and again.

This is not a book about artists and their process, this is not a book about the meaning of collage in the art world, this is not a book to gain information on techniques or materials. What it is, is like a huge (and when I say huge I mean enormous) collage museum in a book! 40 collage artists are presented through their work. A very short introduction is given to each artist and some short quotes of what they say of their work are spread through the presentation. That's it, that's all, and that's more than enough.

If anything this book shows just how diverse the medium of collage can be and if you don't at least get 100 ideas from it, you must be blind ;-) I loved it. The only drawback of it might be that you cannot look at the works in their actual size. I would have loved to see some of them up close and see how the different layers were done, but that's the limit of dealing with a book instead of a real museum.

Still, if somebody out there wants to build a collage museum that has all these works in it, I would definitely move right in and never go out again!

2.0 out of 5 stars Surrealism using antique paper and imagery predominates., March 6, 2012

I was surprised, when I got it, that fully half of the work uses antique images and antique papers for surrealism -- the "beautiful as the fortuitous meeting of an umbrella and a sewing-machine on a dissection table" vibe. I have no objection to this kind of work. It is a lot like the great collages Max Ernst did in the 1920s, but those _were_ done in the 1920s.

There are exceptions, such as the work of Touchon and Baby Smith, but
if you want a general look at modern collage you had better look elsewhere.
I am fond of Brommer's "Collage Techniques," for instance -- it does a much better job as a survey, even though the illustrations are small, and it even shows you how to do it. Collage Techniques: A Guide for Artists and Illustrators

5.0 out of 5 stars best eye candy!, July 7, 2010
If you have any interest in collage as an art form, this is a beautiful book of inspiration. There are no how-to's, just examples of each artist's work spread over 8 pages for each, a brief description of the artist and their work and a few comments by the artist. Styles cover the gamut and I was happy to see two artists who were strongly influenced by Romare Bearden, the greatest and possibly, the most prolific, collage artist of the 20th century. Some of it may be stuff that leaves you cold, other that truly inspires, something for everyone here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Today's Artist, March 18, 2013
I liked this book a lot. It shows a variation of collage style being used today. Also check out the Collage Workshop book by the editor of this one (Plowman). Both books are a good way to get started.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Masters: Collage: Major Works by Leading Artists
Masters: Collage: Major Works by Leading Artists by Randel Plowman (Paperback - June 1, 2010)
$24.95 $16.07