5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL VALUE!!! So glad I kept them...
You can't go wrong with these electric grinders: They come out to $15 each, when buying 4, using Amazon's 4-for-3 Promo.

I purchased 2 for salt/pepper, and NEARLY SENT THEM BACK AS DEFECTIVE.... I'M SO GLAD I STOPPED & replaced my wimpy rechargeable AA's for fresh alkaline AA's--PERFECTION!!

These grinders do a wonderful job of grinding coarse sea...
Published on September 6, 2008 by DeLaney

1.0 out of 5 stars This is my second one I bought and it wouldn't grind.
My first grinder lasted about 9 months. It wouldn't grind no longer. I decided to buy another one as a replacement. This one wouldn't grind at all. If you read all the reviews you will notice that this is an issue when purchasing this grinder. Either it won't last long as in my case or either it won't work when received.
Don't they check the grinders before selling...
Published on June 9, 2012 by Elliott

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL VALUE!!! So glad I kept them..., September 6, 2008
DeLaney (Southeastern OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mastrad Paris Electric Salt and Pepper Grinder (Kitchen)

These grinders do a wonderful job of grinding coarse sea salt and peppercorns, while also providing lighting. I own 2 of a diff. model, which I also love, made by Cole Mason (England) expressly for Williams Sonoma, $59.99 each.

An added feature of the Orka grinder is the black plastic "bottom lid" which keeps table/counter top free of little spills. BUT try leaving the bottom on while grinding, which lets you easily monitor, in the case of salt, exactly how much you have just ground onto the black "bottom lid"--great for REDUCED SODIUM DIETS!!!

I'd go with Amazon! A set of these would make lovely, thoughtful, practical, and relatively inexpensive gifts--the cheapest electric grinders I've seen!

NOTE: The 4-for-3 promo works great when items are similarly priced.
So I got 2 of these, and 2 of: LamsonSharp 3" x 6" Chef's Slotted Turner, right-hand--my favorite all-round spatula!!
Amazon only sells the LamsonSharp "off-and-on," so it is best to wait until Amazon, not one of its sellers, has it for about $21.99....

5.0 out of 5 stars Orka Grinder, September 3, 2009
This review is from: Mastrad Paris Electric Salt and Pepper Grinder (Kitchen)
It works well and allows for variable "fineness" settings and a light that lets you see how much you are dispensing. Some units on the market dispense salt and pepper from one unit. This one is titled "Salt and Pepper Grinder" - which led me to think that it did both in one unit. But it only does one or the other - not both. It's description should be "Salt OR Pepper Grinder."

But having said all that - it's a good Pepper Grinder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this little pepper grinder, December 2, 2008
This review is from: Mastrad Paris Electric Salt and Pepper Grinder (Kitchen)
I am very pleased with this well-designed pepper grinder. It is extremely easy to operate and the light feature is now a must-have in a pepper dispenser. How many times have you sprinkled or ground away with no idea how much pepper was actually being distributed? No longer, the down direction light that comes on when grinding is discreet and cleverly illuminates the pepper flakes for perfect seasoning. A very fine addition to a candle light dinner! The batteries (supply your own) were easy to load and the whole thing was up and running in a few seconds. There is a nicely designed dial feature to select one of six levels of coarse to very fine grind with easy to read visuals. Both the light and the grind setting dial are on the bottom of the unit, and covered in storage with a plastic cap to prevent spills. Nice touch! The design is quite handsome and fine on the table. This grinder is best used for a freshly ground salt or pepper experience with exacting individual portions on salads or the plate. For cooking applications that require a quantity in the half teaspoon and up range, you would have to grind for a little bit, so this isn't the right tool. But on the table or for small sprinklings, what a beauty!

1.0 out of 5 stars This is my second one I bought and it wouldn't grind., June 9, 2012
This review is from: Mastrad Paris Electric Salt and Pepper Grinder (Kitchen)
Don't they check the grinders before selling it to the customers? I guess not. It looks nice but is made of poor quality. I gave up on this grinder. I'm shopping for a better one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Orka electric salt and pepper grinder, April 30, 2008
This review is from: Mastrad Paris Electric Salt and Pepper Grinder (Kitchen)
I already have one of these grinders and came to Amazon to order another since my firsty one was a gift. I love this grinder. The grind is adjustable from very fine to course grinds and the light is the best part... you can actually see how much you are using!

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally unnecessary, but a delightful gadget., August 5, 2008
You don't need this pepper mill, but once you have one... you'll be hooked. Aside from the the push button and illumination it's a really excellent grinder.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as expected, March 5, 2010
This review is from: Mastrad Paris Electric Salt and Pepper Grinder (Kitchen)
I purchased four of these on the 4 for 3 program thinking I'd use salt, pepper and a couple of my favorite seasoning blends. I never got to the blends because the first two just didn't perform like I expected. Salt will, to a degree, grind fairly well. I usually use white peppercorns and maybe it's because they tend to be more smooth than black but they won't grind except on the coarsest setting. If I wanted 'cracked pepper,' because that's essentially what I get then, I'd just crack them up myself. I've tinkered with the grind size until I thought I'd wind the mechanizm right out of the thing and still nothing. If I tried to get a teaspoon of fine grind, I'd run the batteries down, it's that bad.

My nephew became the proud recipient of the two unopened ones. Hopefully he'll have better luck than I've had.

5.0 out of 5 stars Electric salt and pepper mills., September 23, 2009
This review is from: Mastrad Paris Electric Salt and Pepper Grinder (Kitchen)
Excellent price and fast service. Work better than I expected, like much higher priced units. These electric mills can get very pricey, but these pleasently surprised me. I would deffinately recommend them to anyone interested in electric salt and pepper mills.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the $, August 19, 2009
This review is from: Mastrad Paris Electric Salt and Pepper Grinder (Kitchen)
I had been eyeing a battery operated pepper grinder...but found none with a 4-5 star rating. I took my chances on this one...it is a steal. I cook everyday 2-3 meals, this has helped out so much vs the manual grinder. The reason I did not give it 5 stars is because it's very top heavy & has toppled over from my stove shelf & the grinding rotating option at the very bottom stays on one grind which is a cracked med ground...I can not change it to fine. Over all for the price, I truly recommend it. You will not be disappointed. ps make sure the batteries are in properly otherwise you make think your grinder is a lemon (does not come w/a guide on which way to point the batteries) Orka Electric Salt and Pepper Grinder.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sleek. No horsepower. Looks great; useless., December 9, 2010
It looks very nice.

Put in all the batteries, start grinding, and it sounds like it's climbing a very steep mountain.

After using it half a dozen times, it just comes to a grinding halt (so to speak) on certain peppercorns. Pound on it to free up the offending chunk, and it chugs along barely for a little while, until it gets stuck again.

I don't have a solution - I haven't tried any other models to recommend. But I can tell you that this one isn't a pepper grinder.

Mastrad Paris Electric Salt and Pepper Grinder