4.0 out of 5 stars Lot's of fun, cheap plastic
Published on October 23, 2010 by AverageGuyShopper

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT TYPICAL MEGA RIG QUALITY
WE HAVE THE SPACE SHUTTLE AND PIRATE SHIP, BUT THIS SET DOESN'T FEEL LIKE THE SAME STURDY PLASTIC. THIS FEELS AND BENDS LIKE CHEAP PLASTIC. HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT!
Published on September 17, 2010 by A. ADAMS

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT TYPICAL MEGA RIG QUALITY, September 17, 2010

4.0 out of 5 stars Lot's of fun, cheap plastic, October 23, 2010
This review is from: Matchbox Mega Rig Dinosaur Hunters (Toy)
My son has loads of fun playing with this set and the other MegaRig sets that we have (like construction, pirates, rescue). I think this toy is very creative, and it's lots of fun to see what kind of creations he makes with all the interactive parts, from cool to zany. I have to say, though, that the plastic used is kinda cheap feeling - very pliable. So, it gives me pause as to the longevity of this toy. So far, after couple months of extensive use, it has held up well. One hitch connector definitely shows the discolorations of strain, but has not broken... yet. I feel like Mattel has way overpriced this toy for the quality that you are getting (close to $20). However, I got our set on clearance at Target, so I feel fine about the we price paid. The single squishy dinosaur is okay, but if your kid really loves dinos, get the plastic bucket of them to go with this set.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Mega Rig toys are great, but this one is cheaper and could hurt little fingers, January 24, 2010
J. McGill (Colorado, United States) - See all my reviews
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Matchbox Mega Rig Dinosaur Hunters (Toy)
We just bought the Dinosaur Hunter Mega Rig toy last night, not from Amazon, but from another store. We already have the Pirate Ship and the Recycle Action Pack and all of them are really amazing toys. We have two boys (ages 1 and almost 3) and they can't get enough of these - they are amazingly designed as far as the number of possibilities to build different vehicles/structures. From the box, these don't look like much, but once you start playing with the different parts, it is pretty impressive. As parents, we have enjoyed playing with these toys with our sons. Which is what took us out to get this one last night. And this one, like the other sets, is really well designed, except for one part - the crane. Shortly after opening it and playing with it this morning, my older son sliced his index finger while trying to get the top part of the crane to move. It has a pivot point and if a child's finger gets caught in there, it could slice it open. When I compared this crane to the one that came with the Recycle Action Pack, the Recycle Action Pack has a smooth plate under the crane that let's your finger slide and not get caught. The one with the Dinosaur Hunter has ridges that are designed to lock the crane in different positions, but because it is so difficult to move, the child grabs it right at the pivot point and when it finally moves it takes their finger with it. I would strongly recommend the other toys like this that we have so far, but would strongly recommend against this one until they fix this flaw. I only rate it one star because of this, if they fixed this flaw, I would undoubtedly give them a five star rating (the dinosaur is pretty neat, too).

Product Update: My original comment was above and I gave this only 1 star. Our product date on the bottom said 2009, I believe the future versions have changed the way this crane pivots. And, as other reviewers have noted, there is a big difference in the plastic used on these newer versions (as compared to the Trash, Car Crusher, and Pirate Ship sets). All of the newer sets we have (the fire truck, construction truck, helicopter, Toy Story 3 train) are made of a more brittle thin plastic. The original sets had a plastic that was a little more pliable so parts still haven't broken after 18 months of near daily play. On the newer sets, the cabs of each of them have broken (except for the helicopter which has no cab). They are still usable, and I would still recommend all of these toys to any parent. I am increasing my product review on this one to 3 stars as we have continued to play with this set (but we threw away the crane - we just use cranes from other sets to catch the dinosaur). :) It isn't a 5 star because the cab has broken and we did have to throw away the crane.

5.0 out of 5 stars Children's Imagination can take them anywhere!, October 30, 2013
This review is from: Matchbox Mega Rig Dinosaur Hunters (Toy)
This creative building set interchanges parts with the space matchbox set and the ocean matchbox set. The creative play can go in any direction, while using the intercahngeable parts. My grandchildren love matchbox sets, and I do too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mega Rigs, July 27, 2013
This review is from: Matchbox Mega Rig Dinosaur Hunters (Toy)
The kids have a blast interchanging parts and pieces to make different creations. They can play with them outside and not worry about loosing a lot of little pieces.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toy for the imagination, April 14, 2013
This review is from: Matchbox Mega Rig Dinosaur Hunters (Toy)
My sons now have the Helicopter, Boat and this Rig--together they create hours of fun for both boys, ages 4 and 5.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well with other dinosaur rig., February 4, 2013
This review is from: Matchbox Mega Rig Dinosaur Hunters (Toy)
Our kids have enjoyed the Mega rig products. We looked high and low for something to give our son that would keep him busy and possibly work with his other Mega rig product. All the kids have enjoyed this. The other Dinosaur mega rig set is a little more versatile in that it makes multiple little vehicles, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grandson Loves This, December 21, 2012
This review is from: Matchbox Mega Rig Dinosaur Hunters (Toy)
He has other pieces so this was a great addition to his collection ...He's ten. Can't beat Matchbox Mega toys.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, December 12, 2012
This review is from: Matchbox Mega Rig Dinosaur Hunters (Toy)
Highly recommended, very good product, exactly what I was expecting, good price and quality, thanks for your commitment and delivery time. 100% very satisfied with the product.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, October 4, 2012
This review is from: Matchbox Mega Rig Dinosaur Hunters (Toy)
This was a gift for my grandson .... he loves it... plays with it all the time. Integrates other toys with it.

Matchbox Mega Rig Dinosaur Hunters