5.0 out of 5 stars Not like when I was a kid, but they're still fun!
Published on February 14, 2011 by James G. Magnano

3.0 out of 5 stars "Selection May Vary"--- and it might not be so great
Published 23 months ago by Katie Kate

3.0 out of 5 stars "Selection May Vary"--- and it might not be so great, October 5, 2012
This review is from: Matchbox On A Mission: 20-Pack Car Set (Styles May Vary) (Toy)
I had high hopes that we'd get some cool vehicles in this box. I realized before I ordered it that it wasn't going to be as pictured, but everyone else seemed pretty happy with what they got anyway. Hope my son likes a minicooper convertible, because there aren't any signs of a firetruck, school bus, garbage truck, etc anywhere. The set I got was mediocre, IMO. My son will probably love them anyway and at a buck a vehicle, they are a good value. Press your luck and hope for no whammies!

Updated: After opening the package to inspect the cars a little closer... there is a LOT of plastic on these. That's not what I think of when something is described as "die cast".

5.0 out of 5 stars Not like when I was a kid, but they're still fun!, February 14, 2011
Matchbox cars clearly are not like they were when I was a kid. When Mattel (Hotwheels) aquired Matchbox through the Tyco purchase, clearly there was some 'Cross contamination" between the two lines as a result. Matchbox always seemed more realistic, more solidly built and more consistent regarding their scale from car to car, but that seems like a focus that was lost long ago. So the nostalgia factor is 0, but that being said, they are just toy cars. My kid doesn't care which brand they are, only that they are fun to play with. He plays for hours on a table-top playset, and the variety in this pack gives him options from contruction equipment and services vehicles, to sports cars and station wagons. Add in the few pick-up trucks and the helicopter and you have a complete set of options. Not too bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grandson loves it!, July 10, 2013
Bought this for my 5 yr. grandson's birthday and he just loves it! He uses the vehicles with all his other car-type toys and they keep him entertained for a very long time. Well made (as Matchbox toys are) and does the job!

4.0 out of 5 stars Selections may vary - but at least the cars aren't the same, October 28, 2013
Stephanie (Lyndhurst, OH, United States) - See all my reviews
Selection may vary can be frustrating, but the good news is that you won't get the same car, just in different colors. The cars themselves are different styles and different colors, so that is about all you can ask for in a car set. The price seems to fluctuate quite a bit b/c I had it in my cart before I purchased it, and it went up and down and up and down several times.

They keep my daughter entertained, which is a great thing. They aren't made of all metal die cast, so aren't as heavy as I recall as a kid. The quality has certainly went down. That said, they are still fun for the kids.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the Matchbox I grew up with, August 10, 2013
I got these for my 4 year old. These cars are great, but not like ones I played with when I was a kid myself. Back then, die-cast toys were mostly metal - strong, durable and had high level of detail. The only plastic components were usually the windshield and black bottom part. Times have changed, and so has quality of what was once a favorite toy brand. The cars they make today have more plastic than metal, they feel cheap to hold, and lack detail and in some cases even poor finishing. I guess they'll never make cars like they did in the good ol' days.
My son however, liked what we received - hence the four stars. Although he would have been happier if he got the school bus. The package we got was not the same that was pictured, although it had police cars, an ambulance and a fire truck. I only wish Matchbox would be what it used to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars you should have seen my grandson's face when he opened this gift. pure joy!, May 30, 2013
This was the perfect gift for my little guy. Great variety of cars. He loved them. Arrived well before his birthday

5.0 out of 5 stars A family tradition and a satisfied boy, January 15, 2013
Giggle007 (Albuquerque, NM United States) - See all my reviews
Growing up, we played with Matchbox cars. We used to have buckets of them and they were durable. Now that my son is interested in cars, Matchbox is the first brand that came to my mind. The Matchbox brand has gone through a few owners throughout the years. The quality is quite consistent. This new set for my son seems to hold up as good as his parents' old cars. My son enjoys them a lot. We use the cars to teach him different kinds of cars, colors, etc. Now, he names the vehicles when he rides in our car. Like most two year old boys, he is quite rough on his cars. He drops them, takes them everywhere including the bath tub and they are still looking fine without any sign of dent or rust.

5.0 out of 5 stars great gift, January 6, 2012
We bought this matchbox 20 car set for our 26 month old grandson for Christmas since he loves trucks and this package has more trucks than cars. He loves it. It is the first thing he grabs when he comes over and he knows the names of all the trucks. He liked it more than the more expensive Christmas gifts he got.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Collection of Cars, February 19, 2014
My son loves his Matchbox cars especially the ones that actually look like real cars...this is an especially great collection.

1.0 out of 5 stars The cars described in the product does not correspond with that sent, December 24, 2013
The cars described in the product does not correspond with that send, send a set of match box but that does not match in the picture

Rate and Discover Movies