Published on March 8, 2008 by Granular drift

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed
My father purchased the bundle pack for my son, his grandson. The videos appear to be made in someone's home rather than in an academic setting and the man does, on occasion, misspeak as to required functions and rather than editing them out, he tries to go back and correct himself. They are poorly made and certainly not worth the expense. I am fortunate that my child...
Published on April 4, 2009 by C. Palmeri

5.0 out of 5 stars How I learned to stop worrying and love the Mathematics or Don't drink and Derive, March 8, 2008
This review is from: Math And Physics DVD Bundle! - 11 DVDs In 6 Cases! - Save 15%! - Basic Math, Algebra 1 & 2, Trigonometry, Pre-Calculus, Calculus 1 & 2, Physics - 47 Hours Of Tutoring! - Learn By Examples! (DVD)
Good overall material. The occasional mistake is to be expected in a DVD series of this size, just remember to not second guess yourself if you find a mistake here and there! The DVD cases were in bad shape but the DVDs were fine and at this price it is an amazing deal. I recomend that you but good collage algebra, tri and calculus books to go with each section so that you get the theory part of mathematics that this DVD series does not cover to the depth that a mathematics class would. That said you can use this set of DVDs to learn the practical/usefull material and when you work in a good textbook everything is so much simpler and easy to understand because you know what is going on and you really engross yourself in the reasons why things are what they are. The real selling point here is that you get a DVD set that can take you from grade one to Calculus 3 for roughly the price of just one good text book! Personally I added "Collage algebra & trigonometry" by Kolman Levitan and Shapiro as well as "Calculus" by Michael Spivak and a good calculator like the TI 92 or Voyage 200 (for verification only)and a stack of scrap pads. I find that a Moleskine lined notebook is also good for any subject where your final notes might be of use to you forever. I have used them for Music Theory notes Mathematics and anything else worth writing down/remembering. Remember that Mathematics is the language of EVERYTHING so no matter where you are coming from or where you are going this is the basis of "it" and is sooooooo worth knowing.You CAN do it and you should do it!
Cheers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Investment in Your Education, February 11, 2011
I own this package as well as a few other titles. My review is for the whole Math Tutor DVD line and not just one particular title.

I was terrible at math in high school and early college. I was terrible because I did not come to the understanding that math beyond basic arithmetic was all about rules, formulas, etc. I kept telling myself that I was not a bright guy because I could not understand math beyond arithmetic when in reality I was a poor math student because I did not have the skills needed to study upper level math. Unlike other subjects like economics where you can take macro before micro, with math there is no way you can attempt pre-calculus without a solid understanding of algebra. Math is sequential and if you are stuck in one area, you cannot move forward until you have mastered that area. This DVD package will help you to move forward.

I discovered Jason Gibson's DVD's by accident actually. I was looking for a private math tutor and this package came up in my search results. At first, I was skeptical because everybody seems to want to sell you something these days -whether it works or not. I decided to take a chance on this package and I couldn't be happier.

Right now, I am finishing up the pre-algebra tutor and I am actually understanding fractions! My confidence level has improved and I'm eager to get through calculus and on to physics.

What makes this system effective is that it is a no-frills, no-nonsense approach to math. Just the tutor and a whiteboard. No off-topic discussions or silliness, just math. This is much more effective than those silly Standard Deviant titles. He assumes no prior knowledge and breaks every single step down and even explains why the answer is what it is -everything is in baby steps. He takes a lot of time to write in different colored markers so you can clearly see each specific step. He also seems like a really nice guy; he is easy to understand and not condescending and encourages you along the way. The best part of this system is that you get so much "tutoring" for very little money. I used to pay a private tutor $50 per hour. It was ineffective and I don't have anything to show for it. Here, the DVD's are yours and you can play them over and over, pause them, and watch them at your convenience.

This is my advice regarding working with this package. I believe it will help you tremendously and the investment will pay you back in the long run many times over because math seems to be required everywhere. This is what I suggest...I highly recommend you buy the DVD's but ALSO BUY a used textbook. You don't need to buy his companion worksheets because they are just a bunch of practice problems related to the topics on the DVD. Buy a used, for example, old pre-algebra textbook for a few dollars and then use it WITH the pre-algebra DVD. He obviously doesn't get to cover every single thing in a two-DVD set so the book fills in those gaps. I am doing this right now and I am flying through a pre-algebra textbook. The textbook-DVD approach is much more comprehensive.

Also, I don't know if you are aware of a site called khanacademy. This website has been featured on Forbes, PBS, CNN, and even Bill Gates' kids use it. It is another video tutor website but the content is FREE. Personally, I paid the money for Jason Gibson's DVD's because I like his delivery and I want to hold on to the DVD's so that I can give them to my kids one day when they are in school. If money is an issue, khanacademy is your next bet. Personally, I use both and I work through used textbooks. Also you can buy Jason Gibson's math tutor DVD's on eBay. There is a seller called aggie999999 and she sells them at a deeper discount. The seller is related to Mr. Gibson (I think she is his mom) and offers the same warranty. I bought them from her.

I am no longer a slave to math. Math held me back from doing so many things and pursuing so much more. Don't let that happen to you or your kids. Math is not hard, it's just a bunch of rules. Nobody is born a math whiz.

I highly recommend this product because it works and I am seeing results. You have no idea how much your confidence will improve when you get good at math; you really feel smarter.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best investment you can make if going into math and science, July 29, 2012
Mike S. (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
I have not purchased the actual bundle, but have purchased many of the titles in the set individually. I am returning to school working on a chemical engineering degree, and had been out of math for years when I made the decision to go back. I ran across Jason's DVDs when looking for study aids to use prior to class so I could at least get an idea of what the material was about, and they have become the best non-required investment I have ever made. I am going to just give you a summary of my impressions.

1) The production quality is not fancy. The early DVDs were filmed with little to no production. Probably done out of his home. As he went along he started filming out of a studio, which is where all the new DVDs he puts out are filmed from. It is just Jason in front of a white board. There are no fancy graphics or frills.

2) Jason does make mistakes from time to time. Some he catches as he goes along. Some are caught and corrected post production, and occasionally he misses one all together. It shows that he is human. While one could argue they should be edited out all together, and I think that is a reasonable argument to make, it has never distracted me from learning the material. Almost every teacher I have had has made mistakes in math when working out problems. My calc III teacher who has a Phd in math made calculation errors all the time, yet I could still get the idea of what was going on.

4) Jason will go step by step in solving problems. Even in the advanced calculus DVDs he does nearly every algebraic step, even things that most people at that level can easily do in their head. If you get these dvds you will become very good at algebra. And since it is the foundation upon which all levels of math and science are built that is very important.

5)The trig and pre-calculus DVD that is in this bundle does not cover all the concepts, so you may want to get the 2nd volume of the set Jason put out earlier this year. The one in the bundle will cover the unit circle, trig functions, the basic trig identities, right triangle trig, and graphing the trig functions. It does not cover trig equations, the law of sines and cosines, or the more little used identities like the half angle and double angle identities. The second volume fills in those gaps. If you get that, the only concept from pre-calculus that will not be covered is conic sections.

6) In none of the DVDs does Jason touch on every concept you will learn in class. He hits the most important concepts, and the ones that if you don't know you will have no shot at learning the others. I would estimate that, depending on your particular teacher, if you learn the material on the DVDs you can expect to know 70% or more of what you would be asked on a final exam. In some of my classes that percentage was closer to 90%. But you cannot expect to know everything for the entire class just from the DVDs. It is imperative that you do your homework problems and go to class to do well. While Jason does work through problems of varying difficulty they are usually not the hardest problems you will be exposed to.

7) The physics material is algebra based more than calculus based. He does not use calculus to derive the formulas for the most part. A couple times in the physics 3 DVDs (which are not in this bundle) he will, but for the most part he just gives the formulas and give examples of how to use them. He does a great job of breaking down how the problems are worded so you really know what information is being given, and what the problem is asking you to do. Which, in physics, is over half the battle.

8) Jason also put out newer extra practice with derivatives and extra practice with integration DVDs to fill in the Calc I and II material. On those he gives more examples of the various differention and integration techniques, and gets to topics such as implicit differentiation and the disk/washer/shell methods for finding volume using integrals that are not on the two DVDs you get here. While the two DVDs in this set did help me get an A in Calc I and II, I wish the other volumes would have been out when I took those classes.

In all, whether you find these useful will depend on your learning style, some amount of subjectivity. If I had to go back and do it over I would have bought the bundle and saved a bit of money, but whether you get the entire thing, or just need a couple DVDs, I highly recommend these to anyone subject to the provisos I listed in the review.

5.0 out of 5 stars i do wanna, April 18, 2011
Another product another review. I decided to go back to school and get my GED after 12 years out of school and I knew then that my math skills were pretty pathetyc.(By the way I would like to say that I am a life long learning disability student.) So before I went back, I wanted to make sure I did it right this time so I got on Amazon and bought this particular product. FIVE STARS PEOPLE!!! As usual I read all the reviews before I dropped a singular dime on this. regretfully I must tell you I bought it $50 cheaper from the same place but it is still worth it. Amazon delivered right on time... smiley face for you! If you are serious about learning math than look no further. These videos can get a little boring after a while. I try to watch them in 2 hour increments or until I start to nod off. Lets face it, you can only watch so much math in one day before your head explodes. The one review at the bottom with the one star mentioned that there isn't much of an acedemic setting, this is true. But who cares I wanna learn about math who gives a turkey about the paint on the walls!?!? Another thing mentioned was that the teacher screws up from time to time, this is also true, however he does stop and correct himself. I have to show people things all the time myself and I screw up, its human nature! Anyhoo moving along.... The teacher in these videos will tell you that repitition is the key and will do the same type of problem over and over until it is drilled into your brain. Yeah, seems a bit boring but you'll see the difference in the test scores. I did score above average on the GED exam which qualified me for a scholarship, but due to the lack of funds in the state of Indiana this wasn't to be. Six months later I enrolled in state college, (The last place I EVER thought i'd be.) and I am still using these videos religously and doing very well in math!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon - Math Tutor DVD set is the Best Aid for Students, October 16, 2009
Math Tutor is the best aid. I've bought other math tutoring DVDs, but Math Tutor has helped me the most. I've gone from a D to a B+ in Calculus. Succinct. Clear. Understandable DVDs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Teacher., January 21, 2007
A Kid's Review
I have all of these videos and they're just great! They really helped me in class to understand the concepts and do well on the tests.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superior Product, July 22, 2008
John (Perth, Western Australia) - See all my reviews
These are very simple. Just a Texan and his whiteboard! No Hat!

He is clear and very effective. I think easier to learn from than a tutor in the flesh, and you can keep going back over things until you understand.

This DVDs are essential if you are taking on TAFE Cert 3 Electricity, TEE or University Physics and Maths.

Reasonably prices. Lots more titles from this Tutor also.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Great collection, February 25, 2013
There is one section he got the answer wrong... but none the less... it will definitely explain things in a much easier way. Great collection !!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good content, poor production values, April 11, 2009
Bikini Calculus it is not.

I thought the one star rating was very unfair.

I think the DVDs in this series are very thoughtful gifts for a grandchild.

5.0 out of 5 stars Accent deaf these DVD helped, February 15, 2014
Helped me is chemistry and physics. I can't understand accents and my teacher had an accent so I ordered this and it was helpful