Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on August 8, 2011
... about Spectrum Math!

This is straightforward math instruction- few cutesy pictures, no bizarre methods for better 'understanding' without application. These books provide the type of math instruction I received in elementary school- the same kind of excellent understanding and ability to easily use math that I want for both of my children. This book teaches both borrowing AND carrying. These books believe in the basic algorithms. YAY for a good, solid math education!

My warnings (none of which were a problem for us): there is very little instruction in these books. I didn't feel like that mattered at this age, but some parents might be put off by it. This book also moves through concepts methodically but quickly, so I sometimes suppliment with extra worksheets I print off. Again, not really a problem for us, but valuable to know. We also don't usually do all of the math problems on each page (there are plenty for practice!) so we sometimes finish up a page on the second day if my children need extra practice.

If you hate the current fluffy math methods that are out there, and want to give your child a very solid foundation in mathematical concepts, these are the books for you!
VINE VOICEon December 26, 2007
This is an excellent resource for teaching math. It can be used as a review for the summer as another reviewer has mentioned. I used to teach special education and sometimes using Spectrum math workbooks helped students understand a concept when other programs and workbooks would not. As a mother who schools her children at home now we often use Spectrum math workbooks to get the basics down pat before doing some of the 'fun math'.

This is useful book for teaching math. It should be worth considering when looking for a math workbook.
on September 16, 2012
I work in a mental health facility where I teach adult patients. Some are working toward a GED but the majority require remediation to help them learn to read or improve their math skills. It's VERY hard to find workbooks or even printable worksheets at primary levels that do not have soft fuzzy kitties with pretty bows around their necks, cute pudgy clowns holding bouquets of smiley face balloons or cars with big moon eyes and dorky grins on their grills. In my opinion, that is degrading to my adult students. This book has color illustrations that are not overly juvenile. I appreciate that. I know my students appreciate it as well. I can now assign them "homework" that requires them to take their workbooks back to their units. They're very willing to do that because the cover of the math book is a solid purple color (no pictures) and again, the illustrations in the book are not babyish. I print large labels with the students' names on them that I place over the "Grade _" label on the cover of the book. I wish more text/workbook companies would jump on this bandwagon. It's surprising (or maybe it isn't) the number of adults who don't have basic reading, writing and math skills that are in need of help and would benefit from texts and workbooks such as Spectrum's math workbooks.
on February 5, 2015
Our daughter finished her regular 2nd grade math early in the year. Not feeling that her skills were honed enough to proceed to third grade I started searching for a math book that would reinforce what she had previously learned and give her some much needed extra practice. This Spectrum Math has done that! With money being a rather weak point for her I was excited to see that this book started off on the subject of money!

As you proceed through the book the sums and problems gradually get harder practicing carrying in addition and borrowing in subtraction. The book also covers fractions, time, measurement, shapes and patterns. Answers are provided in the back but I'll be honest and say I have not even looked at them. This is basic stuff and you really do not need an answer sheet at this level.

I would NOT use this book as our main curriculum as it lacks instructions so a child either has to know how to do it or a teacher is going to have to sit down and explain it to them.
on November 13, 2011
I bought this for my son to work on during the summer before his second grade year. This was such a wonderful book. The material in the book was spot on with what they are learning in math in second grade. In fact, the effects of the book were apparent when we saw the results of his first benchmark test in second grade. I would recommend this book for anyone who wants to give their child that extra boost in preparing for school.
on March 5, 2011
This is a great math book for my home schooled 2nd grader. When I grade her work, if I notice anything that she needs extra practice on, I either make her some more worksheets myself or usually I can find some for free on the internet. At the rate she's moving, she'll be in the 3rd grade book in no time!
on May 13, 2015
My son just finished 2nd grade. We were looking for a workbook to help him maintain his math over the summer. This book seems a bit lower than second grade. For example, the concept of telling time only covers quarter hour increments. In every fraction question, the numerator is one. So there is no coverage of fractions like 2/3 or 3/5. Money only covers coins. Four of the nine chapters practice addition and subtraction, so this topic is covered thoroughly.
on April 17, 2015
Its a great work book covering what kids in 2nd grade are expected to know but it doesn't really give examples of how to work out the problems. Parents should look over pages worked to make sure kids understand what they need to do.
on May 31, 2014
I got this for a friend's daughter who's just finishing 2nd grade so that she keeps her math fresh over the summer. She just started on this last night and I think it is the right level for her... she's struggled with math this year but is a pretty attentive 7 year old in general. I like how it's got a lot of variety and the start of it is pretty basic. I think it's important to have her working on this where she has ready access to someone who can answer her questions. Out of the 3 pages, she must've said "oh this is easy!" 3 -4 times, and "I don't know what to do" a couple of times... for which I helped her find the directions (which were right above the problems). She needed problems with counting money, so it was good that it had that too. I didn't check to see if the key in the back is right, since the problems are pretty simple. But I do recommend each page get checked by someone to keep encouraging the kid!
on May 31, 2009
I am a fan of the all-in-one workbooks, such as Brain Quest or the School Zone Big Book; however, my son has autism, and sometimes needs things explained in a more explicit, direct manner than they have time for in those volumes. This book does just that, taking the student step-by-step through second grade math concepts. There is plenty of repetition and reinforcement, with periodic quizzes. The graphics are pretty minimal, so we tear the perforated pages out and make up packets, interspersed with more colorful worksheets from our other books.