Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing Learn more

on January 18, 2006
I really liked this book (how could I not with such a huge increase in my score). It's very easy to use, and you can practice a lot of math in a very little amount of time. I hadn't done algebra since freshman year of high school and needed some serious review for the GRE. This book was a big help in boosting my score. I also used the Kaplan and Princeton Review books, but this one had the best/easiest/most-intense math review. It is also incredibly cheap. Fair warning: there are a lot of practice problem sets in this book, and it took me a good month to work through it all, but it was worth it.
22 comments|126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 7, 2004
If you have only enough money to buy one book to brush up on the quantitative section, this should be the book. It assumes no knowledge and delves into each section of math thoroughly. However there is also a diagnostic test so that you don't have to waste time studying topics you're already solid in. It is easy to understand with many examples and is much better than any of the GRE study guides for math that I've seen. There is a lot in the book so allow for at least a month with it before an exam.
on May 2, 2003
I had to study for the College Level Assesment test in FL, and I hadn't had a math class since my sophomore year in high school! This book was fantastic to sit down with and review things that nobody remembers (like fractions...eek!) and some of the things that I had never learned (like some of the algebra).
There is an assessment test at the beginning to show you what you most need to work on, and tells you on what page to find that information. There are also several practise tests, as well as pages that explain the problems, in detail, so that you can figure out what the heck you did wrong! :-)
This is a fantastic review session, and I would recommend it for the GMAT (studying for now) or any other standardised tests over ANY of the other books I had purchased!
on September 30, 1999
Returning to college after a two-year break made math review imperative. After looking at the primary textbook, I felt like I was reading some foreign language.
If you struggle for the math to "click", this book may be the answer to your prayers. When I started working with 'Math Review for Standardized Tests', I learned so much more so much quicker than from in-class work and the textbook combined. I went from the last one to finish tests to one of the very first. Do the math.
Good luck.
on June 16, 2002
After being out of math for 6 years, reading this book made me wonder why I needed a year to complete an algebra class compared to the week that I spent reviewing this book.
Seriously though this is an excellent and straight to the point book. Excellent process of:
1. Test First
2. Review any problems you missed (points you right to the page you need)
3. Re-test
4. Re-review, etc..
This is not a book of just tests, it also contains a ton of well thought out teaching. Each section also contains practice problems and answers.
Quit reading my review and just go buy it!
on August 10, 2001
This book is a difference maker! I am so used to using my calculator that I had no idea how much I took for granted. I have an engineering degree so when I was preparing for the GMAT (to add an MBA to my collection)I assumed that the math portion would be a snap. However, calculus and differential equations are not part of the test and of course a calculator can not be used. Let's cut to the chase...I can figure out any math problem if I have the time, but time is precious on standardized tests and if you don't know the fastest way to do the calculations you will get a low score.
on August 11, 2007
I cannot tell you how much I love this book. I was preparing to take the GRE after graduating college and hadn't taken any math whatsoever since high school. I used Kaplan's Premier program and it brought back some of what I used to know, but I was still getting about half the questions wrong on my practice tests. I got this book a week before I took the test, was able to go through the whole thing in a week (while working a 40 hours a week) and it really built my math skills from the ground up. It really assumes you know nothing, but by the end, you know all you need to!

I just took the test this morning and my quantitative score was 800 - totally unexpected and it would not have happened if I had just stuck with the Kaplan program.
on March 2, 2006
I was amazed at how easy to use this book was! I am studying for the Praxis II Middle School Mathematics test and coulnd't find a book to help me prepare. This books covers everything from start to finish. At the beginning of each section there is a test you take to see where YOU NEED THE HELP! Then you go to the page where it talks about the certain area you need help on. Best math book I have ever bought! I will even be using this as a reference guide in my 6th grade class!
on May 10, 2001
This book is the best first step if you are taking a standardized test like the GMAT, GRE, etc. It takes you step by step through the basics, then builds on that knowledge. This is essential on the GMAT, where the math is easy, but you are required to understand the application and theory behind the numbers. Follow up with a good (Kaplan, PReview) focused test book/CD, and you will realize significant gains. Initial GMAT score- 680, after this review book- 780.
on February 20, 2005
Many testtakers dread the quant sections of standardized tests more than the rest of it put together, and no wonder. The subject is often badly taught in the first place, and math is where adult students contemplating the GRE or GMAT are likely to be weakest. No matter how much math you avoided in high school or college and in your working life, you can still make up years of lost ground with this book. Really! Spend an hour a day with it and be transformed. You may not learn to love math but your skill and confidence will increase exponentially. Much better than the math sections in general GRE prep books...and most textbooks for that matter.