5.0 out of 5 stars A Review of "Math for Your 1st and 2nd Grader"
I took a look at this book (Math for Your 1st and 2nd Grader) at the library and now I am going to order it.

I have a 5 year-old that I am presently working with, and although I have a workbook, I am not entirely sure that I am presenting the soundest explanations of various concepts, and so I have come to Mr. Savin.

Pro's: Stephen Savin's writing...
Published on July 20, 2005 by PeaTee

3.0 out of 5 stars My kids hate it.
I followed the steps in this book with my kids, and they hate it.
If teachers are following this, maybe it is why schools aren't doing too well?
Published 14 months ago by Daniel Boudreault

5.0 out of 5 stars A Review of "Math for Your 1st and 2nd Grader", July 20, 2005
This review is from: Math for Your First- and Second-Grader: All You Need to Know to Be Your Child's Best Teacher (Paperback)

Pro's: Stephen Savin's writing is very clear and straight forward with plenty of examples in how to teach and verify that your child understands the material.

Possible Con: I do not know if this book is in current compliance with the NCTM standards. This book was written in 1995 and I know that the national standards have changed considerably since then.

That said, I made my decision to purchase based on the table of contents and 'where we are now' rather than some artificial standard: i.e. if this book covers what you are interested in teaching, then buy it.

Having said that, I have to point out that publishers are nuts to not put the entire table of contents on the Amazon "Search inside this book" feature. This book, like so many others, only has page one of the contents listed. Ridiculous.

Without writing out ALL of the 39 mini-lessons, I will write out the major chapters topics (with subsections where meaning is not clear) so that you might have an idea of what you are purchasing.

Chapter Titles:

Shapes and Measurements

Second -Grade Final Exam

Second -Grade Final Exam Answers

Index

Five Stars. Writing is very clear and the lessons are not overly long, which fits the temperament of most young math explorers.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good book, November 19, 2005
A very good book on the first grade math topics. It provides sound and clear explanations seldom found in other books. Essential math concepts and skills are introduced with many excellent examples. I enjoyed it very much with my son.

The book is ideal for first graders even with the "2nd grade" part. Second graders may find it too easy. If you want to know what other kids are learning in schools, there is a nice web site at [...] It provides free math practice every week based on school curricula nowadays.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Homeschoolers!, July 26, 2008
This book wasn't actually written for the homeschool market, but every homeschool family should have this book! The author describes all of the basic math concepts so that they are easily understood. First and second grade math skills are built upon step-by-step, in fun but informative lessons that are just the right length for young children. Practical guidelines for parents explain how to verify that a child has learned the material. First- and second- grade final exams are included. It's a great bargain for such a solid foundation in math! If you have your child write the answers in a notebook, you can re-use this book with more than one child. It's also a great preparation for Saxon Math. We have used this book with all three of our boys, and by the time we finished they were easily ready for Saxon 3 and even skipped ahead to Saxon 5/4.

~Teri Ann Berg Olsen, author of Learning for Life: Educational Words of Wisdom

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money, July 10, 2013
Textbook is not worth buying...basic skills recommendations which are common sense is listed...may be good for "completely clueless in math" people

5.0 out of 5 stars A good book for kids, May 30, 2013
I like this book,and I use it to teach my son step by step,it is easy for us to keep going,it is helpful.

2.0 out of 5 stars reminds me of Ray's New Primary Arithmetic, April 10, 2013
My opinion is Ray's New Primary Arithmetic is superior for two reasons: much more orderly and free. Download and print from g o o g l e books. Ruth Beechick has a parent guide for it too on Amazon. If you do the math, Ray and Ruth are better in content and cost!

5.0 out of 5 stars I and my first grader absolutely loves this book, March 31, 2013
Rochelle Walker (Kansas City, MO, USA) - See all my reviews
I would recommend this to anyone who is wondering what their child should be learning about math in the first and second grade. The lessons are straight forward and walks you through each topic thoroughly and efficiently. We finished first grade in about two months and finishing second grade before he even starts second grade. It really helped me gauge what he really knew and what we needed to work on!!

The only thing I would change is the binding of the book itself to be more like a workbook, maybe even a spiral notebook. Because of the awkward binding, I had to write out most of the lessons on notebook paper.

3.0 out of 5 stars My kids hate it., January 24, 2013
Daniel Boudreault (Lexington, KY United States) - See all my reviews
I followed the steps in this book with my kids, and they hate it.
If teachers are following this, maybe it is why schools aren't doing too well?

5.0 out of 5 stars homeschooler, April 10, 2010
Martin Cox (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
I have used this book for my now second grader and will be using it again for my second child beginning next year. Good written directions and lots of practice. I just wish he has written a book for third/fourth grade math.

5.0 out of 5 stars great concept book, February 10, 2009
great for helping me do supplemental education for my child - plus gave me ideas on what to focus on.

ARRAY(0x9979c39c)