5.0 out of 5 stars The Gentleman & The Roughneck, September 23, 2004
Artist Barbara Garro (Barbara Garro at http://www.ElectricEnvisions.com in Saratoga Springs, NY) - See all my reviews
Francoise Gilot, who spent eight years as one of Picasso's women, wrote of the friendship of these two artists in a way that allows a reader to step back in time and be there. How I felt privileged so many times to be able to understand the nuances of the friendship of two so different men connected by their avid passion for art and the world in which their art lived at the time. Their mutual love of art and mutual will to push the art envelope, to use today's term, forced them into a push-pull competition that flowed through the book like a creek, sometimes dry, sometimes overflowing its banks.

Imagine learning the story from the actual words of the artists, in their own chronological time-frames.

"Matisse & Picasso, A friendship in Art" has it all, straight from an intimate who was there for eight years and, like his other women, watched from the sidelines afterwards. This book allows you to understand why "once-Picasso, always Picasso" became a mantra for so many women. And you will be treated to illustrations of paintings, graphics and photographs.

When the book ended, I was as sorry as Picasso that their friendship ended with death and, in a small way, felt a bit lonely in finishing the book, like Picasso's women, wanting more, much more than was available to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Consumate Critic., February 7, 2012
This review is from: Matisse and Picasso (Paperback)
Mrs Gilot is one of my happy recent discoveries.

On her biography on Picasso's years I thought
she may be partial or something worse.

But in that work and in this, Gilot is a critic
as good as anyone I have found on Matisse.

Love it. I want more books from her pen.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a find!, March 15, 2014
Charming and intelligent with the ability to convey her thoughts in vivid style, I love having discovered this book and moreover this author.

I will cherish this volume for a long time; it will NOT go back to a used bookstore and I now must read about her life with Picasso.

5.0 out of 5 stars Matisse and Picasso: A Friendship in Art, December 14, 2012
Read it for a book club. Very good reading. I will keep this in my collection of art books. Thank youo

5.0 out of 5 stars good book, December 23, 2007
This review is from: Matisse and Picasso (Paperback)
Francoise Gilot is a very good writer and allows you to meet 2 wonderful characters and their idiosyncrasies. I read the book in 2 days and I loved it. The only thing is it was too short, and i finished it too quickly. I have bought other books written by her.

Matisse and Picasso
Matisse and Picasso by Françoise Gilot (Paperback - February 24, 1992)
Used & New from: $5.15