5.0 out of 5 stars Humorous And Suspenseful: A Must Read
This work was originally recommended to me via friends of mine who I trust about literature, so I decided to read Ruth Dudley Edwards' Matricide.
Published on May 16, 2000 by thewiegone

3.0 out of 5 stars Wooden but has some humor
Not as wooden and didactic as some of the other stories in the series, in this story the enemy is academic feminism.
Published 17 months ago by E F Christian Weise

5.0 out of 5 stars Humorous And Suspenseful: A Must Read, May 16, 2000
As I read the book, I was initially confused with the characters of Jack and Robert Amiss because this is just one of the many stories Edwards has written using these characters. (Jack is an "elderly fat woman" and Amiss is a man called upon to do a favor for Jack.)
After the initial haze (which is only the first ten pages or so of over two hundred), the book opened up to not only be a suspenseful murder who-dun-it but also a humorous read. The interactions between Jack and Amiss are priceless. In addition, the character of God-loving policeman Romford is thoroughly annoying yet enjoyable.
Simply, the plot revolves St. Martha's, a college in turmoil between three factions (the radical feminists, the "Virgins," and the "Old Women") vying for money from a memorial trust. The war that ensues causes the murder of the Mistress of the college, Dame Maud Buckbarrow and the subsequent investigation by police. The mystery does not stop there as another is murdered which causes Jack and Amiss to desperately plot to find the true killer through academic channels.
For those who enjoy great dialogue between various characters, look no further from this book. Although this is a British work, any American can read this without feeling disorientated with British vernacular. This book is a definite must for mystery fans and is a remarkably quick read. Personally, I have been so impressed with Edwards' style that I plan on reading the entire series of Amiss works. Overall excellent... I think I may have found another favorite writer to add to my ever-growing list...

4.0 out of 5 stars Amusing book, annoying Kindle glitches, March 26, 2012
I've read several of this author's books and enjoyed them all. This is the first one I've read on my Kindle, however, and though the Kindle glitches don't spoil it for me, they ARE distracting. Mainly there's a frequent odd-ball division of words. E.g. "hierar chical"--twice! "finish ed" "embarrass ment" "irri tant" It's very irri tating. Once again, as I so often must, I ask myself "are there no proofreaders left in the world?" But answer comes there none.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gret book, poor reprint, May 18, 2007
This review is from: Matricide at St. Martha's: A Robert Amiss/Baroness Jack Troutbeck Mystery (Robert Amiss/BaronessJack Troutbeck Mysteries) (Paperback)
An extremely clever and funny book. But if you can read it in the earlier edition, do so; the original prologue was a highlight for me and is sadly missing in this reprint - replaced by a prologue from another book. To lose the gorgeous exchange between the Burser and Amiss in favour of an unfunny conversation between Amiss and the uninteresting cipher character, Rachel, is a mistake I hope no-one made deliberately. But anyway, read the book - it's marvellous.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wooden but has some humor, March 20, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars great mystery series, March 3, 2013
I love this mystery series featuring Robert Amiss and Baroness Jack Troutbeck. Ruth Dudley Edwards has a delightful sense of humor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Matricide at St Martha's, December 26, 2012
Robert Amiss still can't make up his mind what to do with his life when an old friend from his civil service days - `Jack' Troutbeck - asks him to apply to be a Fellow at St Martha's where she is Burser. St Martha's is a Cambridge college and Robert finds himself in a hot bed of political correctness where almost anything he says can be misinterpreted and probably will be. Then the mistress of the college is killed in quite spectacular fashion and DS Ellis Pooley, a friend of Robert's, is sent on loan to the Cambridge police force to help investigate the case.

This is fast paced romp of a mystery which introduces Jack Troutbeck a pipe smoking, out-spoken, tactless, highly intelligent maverick who can turn her hand to almost anything, is one of the bets books in this entertaining series in my opinion. Jack makes an excellent foil for the more conservative Amiss and she features prominently in the rest of the series.

The satirical picture of gender equality and university life is superbly well done and had me laughing out loud on many occasions. The mystery itself is complex and owes a certain amount to Dorothy L Sayers' Gaudy Night which will entertain those who like spotting literary references. This is one of my favourite books in this entertaining series.

Rate and Discover Movies