Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Size: Glossy Exclusive Paper|Change
Price:$5.68+ Free shipping (Addon item)

VINE VOICEon March 6, 2010
There must be two versions of this knife because most of the reviews are very good and imply that the knife is very inexpensive for the high level of its quality, but some are pretty bad based upon the low level of quality. My experience is that the quality is pretty low, but then, I got what I paid for. I also think the poor quality of this knife may take a little time to become apparent, but here are my problems with it after several days of ownership:
* The knife is stylish but all of the edges on the laminated metal and plastic parts of the handle have sharp edges such that you can actually give yourself small cuts by letting the handle slip against your fingers or by gripping the handle too tightly in the wrong places. I was able to correct this with a small Dremel grinding drum. It took about 15 minutes to get the handle edges partially rounded and smooth.
* I decided that I did not need the clip which is held on by 3 hex screws. Upon making sure I had a tight fit of the hex wrench in the screw head, I started to turn the screw with very mild torque and immediately stripped the hex head. I tried the next screw and got the same result. I do not know of what metal these screws are made, but it is so soft that the screws cannot be removed. I have never run across a metal this soft being used for screws. They are junk.
* Initially the blade was very difficult to flip open even with the use of the thumb push. This was solved by just a little oil and working it back and forth about 20 times.
* About 1 ½ days later the blade began to wobble at its connection with the handle. This situation deteriorated to the point that the knife was a danger to its user. The loose blade was caused by 2 hex screws that had loosened, one on each side of the handle. Given my previous experience with the soft metal hex screws, I almost decided to send it back to Amazon as junk. However, these hex screws were almost twice as big as the ones that immediately stripped. Using all possible caution I was able to tighten these screws to eliminate the wobble without stripping the screws.
* When I first got the knife, the blade was dull. I sharpened it as best I could, but once again the "stainless steel" was too soft to hold a decent edge. My test for sharpness is to hold a piece of paper in one hand while slowly slicing the paper on its edge. The blade was able to do this 4 times. I tried to do this again and the paper could no longer be sliced but it would tear. I tried several more times and the paper continued to be torn. I have never seen a knife go dull so rapidly. As another test of the blade, I put a small drop of water on it and let it sit until the water evaporated (about 25 minutes). When I returned there was a spot on the blade where the water was. I tried to rub it off with my thumb, and then tried a small amount of alcohol and then a small amount of soapy water. The stain would not come off. I imagine stainless steel polish could work but I have not tried that yet. So, I have a knife that will not stay sharp that is made from stainable stainless steel.
The final lesson is that I got a $6 knife for $12, but it looks like it is worth quite a bit more. In today's world spin, image and perception all seem to trump reality. I suspect some of these newer points of view may have leaked into some of the Amazon product reviews because based upon the Amazon pictures and reviews, I would have paid more. I'm glad I didn't.
1111 comments| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 24, 2009
Let me start off by saying this is one of the biggest folders you'll ever see. If you're wanting an EDC (every day carry) blade look elsewhere because in my humble opinion its a bit on the large side for that. However it is a nice knife for some rough work not necessarily because it's tough (its not flimsy either) but because its so cheap. I used mine as a pry tool to pull up some bricks in my yard. Of course I broke the tip off but for twelve bucks it performed pretty well. This knifes greatest strength is its price. You know you only paid twelve bucks for it so your not afraid to use it roughly. I know when I buy "rough use" knives for 70 bucks I'm actually afraid to go and use it roughly because I don't want to have thrown 70 bucks away. It's not a bad buy really, nothing special, just a larger than average folder. 3 stars.
on January 6, 2009
This knife is quite large welbuilt and extremly duable. solid stainless steel handle and blade. It opens nicely could use a drop of oil from time to time. Very tough and has withstood ALL the abuse i have put it through like beating nails in, useing it as a pry bar, use under water in snow and with various other corosive materials, skining cable, a saw, as a hammer, screwdriver, and all kinds of things a knife shouldnt be used for. It could also make a good self defence knife. I likr the handle because it fits my hand and cant be pulled out of my grip easily. It is a liner lock and the lock works good never failed for me yet. The blade also stays sharp fairly well. I have owned it for at least a year and a half now. A verry good investment of your money. I hope this was helpfull and this knife lasts for you.
44 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 14, 2009
I was very surprised when i got the knife at how big it actually was. I took it out of the box and was like, woah. Very happy at how well its holding up. Very good if your looking for a big knife that folds up. 5 stars, definately worth the money.
on June 12, 2010
i bought this about 9-10 months ago and only used it 3 times.. for cutting a small branch and prying 2 paint cans open. i was using it today when the 1 screw( holding the grip and the blade) SLID OUT and the blade fell and cut my leg. deep gash. and blood started to gush out and i had to go to the hospital for 3 stitches. DO NOT BUY. IT IS EXTREMLY CHEAP QUALITY. buy a better knife. it will save you more money in the long run. i also have pictures.
review image
on May 24, 2015
Whetstone Matrix Stainless Steel Folding Knife
I was looking for a sharp knife for my toolbox. The blade is 440 stainless but for the price its pretty good. The shape of the handle and the blade fit together nicely. The aluminum and acrylic handle decorations give this knife a modern feel. The clip on the blade is very sturdy, and detachable. There are screws which hold this blade together, you can adjust the tightness. The blade was very loose on arrival but with a simple twist of the screw, you can make the handle and blade very tight. The locking mechanism has a nice click to it.
Pros
The blade comes sharpened with a serrated blade
The blade and handle are held together by a adjustable screw
The handle has a strong removable belt/pocket clip
The aluminum and acrylic handle gives a unique grip in your hands
Thumb studs located on both sides of the blade.
Utility hole in the bottom of the handle for string/rope

Cons
The blade is made of 440 stainless
Fairly durable but, the serrated blade will wear out after repeated use on branches/logs
The locking mechanism feels like over time it could wear out
The blade I received didn't have the Whetstone Cutlery logo on the blade.
Utility hole in the bottom of the handle is very small
on July 31, 2009
This knife broke within the three weeks of when I bought it. While is was using it, it folded backwards and jammed. From what I have seen from other customer reviews, this knife is somewhat of a gamble; either it will last quite a long time, or it will break very quickly. But at this price, at least you're not out very much money.
on April 4, 2014
I can't believe the reviews that give this knife five stars. How is this possible? This knife is of terrible quality. I purchased it few years ago because it looked cool and was cheap. I just ran across the picture on amazon again while looking at other knives and had to write this review. I threw this knife away. The screws literally fell out and the knife fell apart in no time without even taking it out of my house! This is not something you would want for any purpose, because it's of extremely poor quality.

I own several knives, some almost $200, and you get what you pay for usually. There are bargains out there, so just do a little research. Don't waste your money on junk like this.

Just spend a few more dollars and get a dependable knife. For a little over $20, you can get a decent knife that doesn't fall apart.
on August 16, 2011
As many of the reviewers of this knife have pointed out, you get what you pay for. It's a sharpened peice of trash. Sure the shipping was great. It arrived four days ahead of schedule. But it doesn't matter at what speed you throw an egg at a brick wall, fast or slow it's still going to BREAK.

My friend had me buy this for him because he needed a knife. I warned him when we picked it out that, "It may look cool but it's cheap and a number of other people have had major problems with it. He didn't care. It was his first knife and he didn't need a "fancy one".

We bought it and when it arrived he was thrilled. It was gorgeous, it was big, it had a great heft to it, it had a decent edge, and it seemed sturdy and tough. My friend was instantly in love and I felt my doubts begin to subside.

The next day he called me and told me that the dozen tiny allen wrench screws that held the knife together were ALL rattling and the 4.5" blade was swinging free at the slightest bump. He hadn't even had a chance to use it for anything. He'd just flicked it open occasionally. We tightened it up and that was that. But soon it was loose and rattling again. We had to get a $40 allen wrench multi-tool so he could carry it around with him because the knife needed to be tightened multiple times a day. After being opened and closed a few times the blade was so loose it would open when it was turned upside down.

The problem soon escalated. Screws began to disappear. My friend had to tighten the knife to a point where it almost couldn't be opened just to keep it in one managable peice. Then the blade lock began to fail as more screws vanished. He almost cut himself several times and then actauly cut himself. Twice. (Hey at least it stayed sharp.)

Now the knife is pretty much useless. The lock has failed almost completely, it has lost all but three of its screws, the clip is gone, and the blade flaps around like a broken wing. He had it for just over a week.

My buddy has learned his lesson and we are now searching for another better quality blade. If reading this has convinced you not to buy that knife, then good. If not, good luck. If you are wondering what kind of knife to get instead then I suggest you buy a good quality knife from a company like Cold Steel, Ka-Bar, or Gerber Legendary Blades. They have good prices and incredible knives. It will save you time, money, and a lot of irritation. My first great pocket knife, for example, was the Gerber 22-48447 3.5" paraframe partially serrated folder. Really good sturdy knife, holds a good edge, and not bad to look at. Should be about 25-30 bucks in a store probably less on Amazon.

"I don't need food, water, or clothing. Give me a Gerber and a cantine filled with someone's piss and I'll see you in a month."

-Me

Sincerely,
Ametuer Knife Lover,
Nathan Walter
on July 25, 2016
OOOOHIEEE GIRLFRIEND; THIS IS ONE BIG KNIFE!!! I liked it so much, I bought another! This thing looks like it could do some heavy damage or just scare the s*** out of a would-be attacker! Do you really want to get a "rise" out of some people? Pull it out at a steakhouse so as to "cut your meat" (p.s. "cutting the cheese", at this point is not an option! ) This knife looks like it would also help you stand your ground in case of an ISIS invasion (and we ain't talkin' that flying heroin from the Saturday morning cartoon lineup of the early 70s)