Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on October 16, 2013
I ordered the black version of this drive from TigerDirect.

Pros:
- The drive came formatted in NTFS with no files/bloatware whatsoever.
- The drive looks nice.
- Nice glossy finish with chrome specks all over and a chrome frame around the side.
- It is relatively lightweight and has a nice solid feel.
- The drive is extremely quiet, I'd say most, if not all laptop fans would drown out any noise this drive makes.
- The packaging is quite nice actually. It comes in a rubbery/foam material with the cable and drive separate. I'll probably keep it to use as its storage case.

Cons:
- It is about an inch longer than the western digital portable USB 3.0 drives, but that's not really a con, just a comparison of how another drive might be better.
- The included USB 3.0 cable is blue, like the piece of plastic most USB 3.0 connectors have, which looks out of place connected to my black drive, though it would probably look fine with the blue one.
- The cable is very short, so if you plan to use it with a desktop computer, it probably won't be able to lay flat on the surface your desktop is on.

Other Thoughts:
- There is no software that assists you with automated backups, but all current computers have that software built in, so I don't know why you would want that. If it is something you want, get a WD drive. Personally, I would have formatted all that software off the drive anyway.
- The drive is 931.51GB when formatted to NTFS.
- Now what you were all probably wondering. I didn't do any real benchmarks with the drive, but I did a few minutes of a write and read test with h2testw, which normally is used just to check if the drive is the capacity they claim it to be. I got around 108MB/s write and 111MB/s read, though I only let it run for a little while, so it could be a bit faster or slower as it continues reading and writing. It also depends on file sizes. But overall it seems like a solidly built drive that will last and has decent USB 3.0 read/write rates.

I would definitely recommend this drive if the added size and the short cable isn't an issue. You could always use another USB 3.0 cable if you don't like the one that comes with it. If you're worried about it not being brand name, don't. Pretty much all the hard drives are made by the same companies, the only difference is the shell put on the outside. The one main difference though is whether or not they'll honor their warranties. This drive has a 1 year warranty, I believe the other companies provide a 3-5 year warranty, so if that's something you're worried about as well, make sure to take that into account when comparing prices with other 1TB drives.
66 comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 19, 2013
I was so happy with it for the price. It was as fast as my WD external HD but a lot cheaper. I was worried that I might lose some of my data & files because my WD external drive was getting very old, & might wear out some day. It was well used for many years. So I bought this drive to transfer the data onto it from the old WD drive. But on after just filling it to a little over 200gb (1 evening's use). It would stop halfway through writing a file, & just lock up. I could not restart it, eject it, re-try, or even restart the computer. It would lock up everything. After a hard shutdown, & restart, the drive would lock up again after writing just a few more files. Tried using it on my older XP computer, & a Linux one, but it gave the same problems on all the machines. Plus, the more I tried to use it, the more it would loose data that was already written on the drive, or would not read the data. At the end of the first evening of using it would not read or write anything anymore, & would not reformat either. In just a few hours it became a useless piece of junk. It was perfect up to about 200gb of data got on it then got increasingly worse by the minute. There was no viruses or malware. I had the same data on my old WD external drive, & it still runs perfectly on any computer I plug it into.

Update: I finally got around to cracking these open to see what's inside. They don't make it easy to open these up because they don't want you to know the truth, but I got stubborn about it. I found a Western digital drive in one, & a Seagate drive in the other. Both good brands, but when I looked up the numbers, I found they were both made in 2007. They put used drives from recycled computers & stuff in them. So it's potluck if you get one that will run well or will last. I ordered these as brand new units as a gift for somebody. If I wanted used 2007 drives, I could have got them for almost nothing!
66 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 19, 2013
I know we all buy our electronics purely based on their cuteness factor... But I actually really enjoy the color of this guy. I'm planning on buying the other three colors, as I'm a photographer and use a TON of storage space. The colors help me stay organized. SO- to the person that couldn't figure out how to use this... underneath the packing containing the HD itself, there were instructions. Plus, I don't really know who needs instructions for a HD, as you really do just plug this in and go. It shipped way faster than I expected (got it in two days, instead of two weeks) and I'm pretty content right now. Thanks!
on February 22, 2014
I am impressed with the build quality of the unit and the included shorty USB 3.0 cable. Even the fitted high density foam packing was a pleasant surprise.

I was worried the internal drive was a new brand of Chinese manufacture that I hadn't heard of. Some research told me the actual drive mechanism is older, slower technology manufactured by one of the major players like Hitachi or Toshiba That removed most of the anxiety of purchasing one. I'm guessing someone saw a chance to make money buying warehouse quantities of these older drives on the cheap and popping them into a plastic shell for resale. Everyone wins. The manufacturers sell off drives that are no longer in demand, the re-packager makes his money and end users get a decent product fairly cheap.

Onto real world use. After attaching the drive it powered right up and Windows saw it without any issue and I ran my drive performance software to see how the drive fared. It fared poorly. The performance of this drive is about half of a comparable sized drive of contemporary manufacture. I then copied 400GB from a similar size Western Digital drive to my new Matsunichi and the transfer went fine, although it took a long time, more than 8 hours.

However, these drives are still good value for many uses. There are fine for HTPC use. They deliver decent performance in both sequential reading and writing, typical HTPC demands. These drives are also fine for backups as generally you start a backup and do other things until the backup completes.These drives are also suitable replacements for older model SATA notebooks with failed drives. (It should be easy to remove the mechanism from the plastic shell.)

Overall, I'm pleased and I'm considering buying more.
on November 12, 2014
This is the 2nd one I bought. Loved the first one and wanted to have a 2nd back up for all of my files. Works great!
on February 21, 2016
It is a great product, only the cord easily comes out.
on April 23, 2015
Awesome. No issues still.
on December 11, 2013
nice small drive and works good, i divided it into two 500meg logical drive to backup info on two different Laptops.
on January 4, 2014
It serves the purpose and I am not sure of the long run yet. But it def is a good product for the money.
on November 14, 2013
It stops during file transfer. Typical of a china made products. A piece of trash that don't deserve recommendation. The packaging is not good, it should also come very well protected as the item is susceptible to any hard droppage.