Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for the Winter Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

Matt Smith is the least Doctor Who

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 79 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 20, 2010 2:59:50 AM PDT
Severin says:
I didn't like Matt Smith as The Doctor from the first look and it only got worse. He plays him as an arrogant know-it-all who never lets go of his sonic screwdriver. The Amy Pond character is great, a very likable companion but I have no use for Matt Smith's Doctor. Also the new series has gotten too into itself, the typical series-long arc has grown tiresome, a poor way to make the series seem epic. The makers of the show should go back and look at Tom Baker to see how it's done right.

Posted on Jul 20, 2010 6:01:46 AM PDT
Travis Kline says:
I have to disagree with you and say that Smith is one of the best Doctor's we have had in a long time - perhaps since Tom Baker's #4. Matt is a good combo of the other doctors (especially Doctor #2 and Doctor #4). Baker's doc was also a know-it-all - which is not a bad thing as long as you actually do know it all.

One of the great things about Doctor Who is that there are many docs to choose from. I was a huge Tennant fan - but I am more than happy with where Smith has gone with the role and hope he sticks around for many many years to come.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2010 7:04:08 PM PDT
I agree Travis. I love how Matt's portrayal is reminiscent of Classic Who. He is very #2 with his excitable mannerisms. I don't know about you, but every now and then he has a bit of #6 as well, which is great. The Doctor needs to be arrogant sometimes. After all, he's been around longer and seen more than us humans.

Posted on Jul 21, 2010 6:38:35 AM PDT
Severin says:
Yes there have been plenty of arrogant Doctors (Jon Pertwee, William Hartnell, Sylvester McCoy) but doesn't Matt Smith strike you as cold and uncaring? And the bow tie doesn't make a geek cool, it's an official stamp of geekdom. If there had never been any other Doctors then maybe I could warm up to this one but he does not seem to have the humor of Tom Baker or Patrick Troughton. Amy Pond is great though, keep her and replace the Doctor. Or maybe just give the series a rest altogether. The current producers try to make every week the saving of the universe. I also agree with another reviewer about the music being too loud. Maybe it's designed for people with 5.1 surround sound, I don't know but it makes it hard to hear the dialog.

Posted on Jul 26, 2010 1:23:17 PM PDT
rtm says:
I think Matt Smith is a great doctor. He is combo of others with a tweak of his own personality. I've been watching Doctor Who since JP, the third Doctor. What makes the show great is that each doctor has a different take on his character and Smith does an awesome job. He's not cold at all. He puts up a front but he shows that he cares. Tom Baker was my fav but you don't see him getting all lovey dovey.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2010 2:21:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 28, 2010 2:21:57 AM PDT
Byron says:
Tom Baker's Doctor could be very cold on occasion. particularly early-on. He could be fairly indifferent to his companion's concern about other characters being killed. Even his farewell to Sarah was pretty low-key. Smith is still warm overall. His wonder and relish in dangerous situations coupled with his mercurial nature resembles T. Baker more than any other Doctor. Plus he has his own spin. I liked his jitteriness at having to live 'in the moment' while waiting for Van Gogh to paint. I also like that he can't consistently access his previous experience such as his lapse in the knowledge of modern customs in 'The Lodger'. It didn't make a lot of sense but it was entertaining. I enjoy Smith's rapid stream-of-consciousness monologues. I agree that they need to lay off the universe-saving for awhile and have a few 'smaller' localized stories.

Posted on Jul 30, 2010 10:40:09 PM PDT
J. Stoneking says:
I think Matt Smith is spot on for the role. Wendy Padbury did an incredible part in casting him for the role. I truly hope he sticks with the role for years to come...I think it's time somebody stuck with the role for a good number of years, even perhaps longer than Tom Baker did. This actor would be a great one to watch for years to come!

Posted on Aug 19, 2010 12:09:28 PM PDT
L. Hathaway says:
I disgree. While he will never be my favorite, this Doctor is wonderful to watch. My problem is with Amy: who chose Rory (sic?), yet still pursues the Doctor in front of him and even at her own wedding! She and Peri are tied for the Worst Companion Ever title.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2010 1:27:14 AM PDT
TG2 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2010 1:48:30 AM PDT
TG2 says:
I don't know about that .... Peri was just absolutely annoying with her higher pitched "DOCTOR" moments when she was frightened and whatever.. I think the whole Amy/Rory thing is typical ... want your cake and eat it too ... but think of it this way... She was able to bring Rory into world of Dr worship so she doesn't have to go alone ... and when the badboy Gallifreyan side wears on, she settles down with the keeper.

Of moments in this season, I think some of the absolute best one liners are right there in front of us because of her .... "12 years and 4 psychiatrists"
DW: What happened?"
AP: 12 years
DW: you hit me with a cricket bat
AP: Twelve YEars..
DW: A Cricket BAT...
AP: Twelve Years and FOUR Psychiatrists!
Check it:

Posted on Sep 3, 2010 2:57:27 AM PDT
Nightshift21 says:
At first, I was ready not to like this doctor because I loved Tennant but I'm really warming up to him. I can't compare him to previous doctors since I have to go back and see all the others soon but he's improving with each episode. I agree with TG2 on Amy/Rory and liked the episode where he stood by her thru 2000 years as a soldier. I wish!!!!

Posted on Sep 6, 2010 8:10:38 AM PDT
Angelus says:
As others have said, he's not my favorite, but he is pretty good. I personally like Ecceleston and Tennant a little better, but not by a whole lot. The reason that so many people say that they see a little bit of #2 in Smith is probably due to him publically stating that 'The Tomb of the Cybermen' is his favorite Who story.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2010 2:37:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 6, 2010 2:37:42 PM PDT
M. Bishop says:
re "Bowties are cool."
I think I heard somewhere that the costume department had wanted to go very mod with this incarnation, but MS insisted that he be a more updated Professor (Indiana) Jones on Campus look. Taking into account that little nugget, I am inclined to agree, Bowties are indeed cool. I think that gives a lot of insight as to how this Doctor is being played. It's also a fun bit of irony given how the Doctor has historically felt about archeologists.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2010 9:18:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 8, 2010 9:19:24 AM PDT
L. Hathaway says:
I don't think Rory worships the Doctor. I think there is some budding trust there, but he trusts neither is wife nor the Doctor to be alone together. With how Amy acts, I can't blame him.

I did love her in the first eps. and even a few after that. But her throwing herself at the Doctor, literally sometimes, got old pretty fast.

Maybe it's that she's the worst of the fawningly in love with the Doctor companions? The hopeless sighing over the Doctor like some woman in a bad romance novel is annoying. Amy only takes it to another level by actively jumping the Doctor. What happened to actual COMPANIONS?! Where are the people who challenge the Doctor, help him, and ground him? What is with all this bad romance novel stuff? (And I leave Donna out of this as she was one of the first actual Companions in the new series. At least, I think so.)

And Peri was annoying as well. But whining annoying vs. can't find a polite word for her behavior annoying....still sort of a tie.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2010 5:43:23 PM PDT
sharon maust says:
Everyone is entitled ti their opinion. I think Matt Smith is FANTASTIC. He is not remotely cold, he hugs and kisses Amy, and you can't get much more emotion that the scene by little Amelia's bedside. He is abit more Alien, like past Doctors he sometimes tries to hide what he is feeling. I can tell when he is happy, desperatly sad and lonely. The preformance is beautiful, he is playing a very old being with a very young face, he often acts like an old man. I give young Mr. Smith a 9.9(cause no one is perfect)

Posted on Oct 17, 2010 8:58:31 PM PDT
Boogaloo says:
Matt Smith owns the role in his own way. Yes, at first blush, the story line made the Doctor seem indifferent, but the clue to what he was doing was at the very end of episode 1. He took Amy for a reason ... not for 'no reason at all'. It was in the Tardis viewing screen. Ohhh, but Steven Moffat is really, really subtle. Here's a 'Time Lord' who can't keep track of time ... "14-years since fish custard". He didn't do it on purpose. He's the absent minded Doctor ... distracted. Yes, David Tennant was marvelous as the Doctor with boyish enthusiasm tempered by foreboding seriousness. Another subtlety; when Tennant was in crisis, his response was "RUN!!". When Smith is in crisis, his response to his opponent is 'come and get me, if you dare, but, basically ... run! Tennant was decisive. Smith has to 'work it out' in a mad cap way. BOTH of them are great and both of them own the role in their own way. Karen and Arthur are also great in supporting ... especially when Amy sets him 'straight'. Rory just wants things to be normal ... but it looks different for season 6. This is all the beauty of Doctor Who.

Yes ... Karen's character has trouble with her feelings. Fella's, if you were to ask your Princess why she picked you ... well, maybe you better not ask. Princesses operate on the 'uncertainty principle'. A fella can know what she is thinking or why she is thinking it, but a man can never know both at the same time. It will NEVER happen.

Posted on Oct 22, 2010 7:06:02 PM PDT
Adam82 says:
I think Smith is a fantastic Doctor. He does a great job of playing an eccentric old man trapped inside a young man's body. I see echoes of Troughton, Davison, and Tennant in his performance. Season 5 is the best of the new Who yet, in my opinion. Amy Pond is great, funny, and bloody gorgeous to boot. Steven Moffat is ten times the showrunner Russell T Davies ever was.

Posted on Oct 22, 2010 7:14:00 PM PDT
Adam82 says:
Amy throwing herself at the Doctor is a new level for Who, too. None of the other companions have ever done that! I wouldn't have turned her down myself ( :P) but, gee, the girl flirts with him shamelessly, even with Rory around, and even at their wedding! I suspect now that Rory and Amy are full time companions next season, the jealousy element will play into the story next year.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2010 2:21:56 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 9, 2010 11:52:08 PM PST
I like him, he's funny and compassionate. Looking forward to the return of the new series. =]

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 12:30:10 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on May 7, 2012 10:46:02 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 1:20:00 PM PST
"sharon maust says: He is not remotely cold, he hugs and kisses Amy, and you can't get much more emotion that the scene by little Amelia's bedside."

Absolutely!! I was in tears watching that scene. My husband thought I had lost my mind that night!
While I consider David Tennant to be one of the greatest actors there is in general and relished his run on the show, I just love Matt to bits as the Doctor. He had me from "The Eleventh Hour"!

Posted on Dec 15, 2010 1:42:21 PM PST
My opinion, Colin Baker is my least favorite Doctor. He's ok, but he's very selfish, always thinking that he's the best incarnation and the the fifth incarnation was the worst.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2011 9:12:14 PM PST
I read that Matt Smith tried out for the 'new' Sherlock Holmes role, but was considered better for the Dr. Who opening. Imagine Matt Smith as Sherlock Holmes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2011 8:07:21 AM PST
sharon maust says:
actually he tried for Watson, Benedict had already been cast as sherlock. They then thought Matt would be better as the Doctor, Watson wasn't quirky enough for him.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  32
Total posts:  79
Initial post:  Jul 20, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about