Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Blokus Game
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Toy|Change

on July 2, 2014
I was a bit disappointed to find Matel has made the new line of Blokus boards smaller by about 1/3. The original board was 13" x 13" while this board is 10" x 10". Although it doesn't seam much it's actually a reduction of 69" square inches which is equal to about 1/3 of the total area. It also doesn't include resealable bags for the pieces (like the original did).

Note the board and pieces are still of high quality, just smaller. I personally prefer the larger board and pieces but oh well...
on August 21, 2014
I did not realize this was a miniature version of the game Blokus when I ordered it. I was purchasing as a gift but will have to return and get the full size. I wish this was made clear in the description!
on July 17, 2014
CAUTION!!! Amazon sells TWO VERSIONS and this is the HALF-SIZED VERSION!!!

Blokus is such a fine game you can play it your whole life, and the game's character varies with your opponent's styles. Adding geometric pieces together and blocking others from doing so is the object of the game.
The original size is about 22 by 22 inches and very comfortable for 4 players. The version of the game sold with this image, the picture of the cover is about 11 inches. Really not so much fun at all.

Be warned.
66 comments|83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 12, 2014
My 6 year old granddaughter was recently asked to take part in a Jr. Problem Solvers Club at school. They are using this game as the basis of the "problem" they are solving. She loved it so much that she asked me to buy her one for home (how many kids want to do what might be considered school work once they get home from school?). Her and I played it as soon as it came. It is fun; and, there are different ways of playing it if you use your imagination. I don't think age is really an issue again because of being able to use your imagination to develop different ways to play. I think it was worth it and my granddaughter certainly enjoys it. If you have youngster (especially if they like to play games), I think they might like this one.
on March 2, 2015
The game itself is great - it's just that the board & pieces keep getting smaller. I have bought three Blokus games (to replace lost or damaged pieces from my original) and each one has been a little smaller - smaller board & smaller pieces! So I can use the pieces interchangeably - maybe I'll look for a used game to fill in my missing parts.
on September 7, 2014
I brought the big game, but this little thing is what I got...not happy...
on December 27, 2015
One of the most frustrating things for me as a parent is that pretty much every child's game or toy (that we have, anyway) requires parent involvement in some way, because there is some aspect of it that is too advanced for the children. This defeats the whole purpose of having children "go and play" so a parent can get some grown-up things done. (don't get me wrong--some toys are meant for learning and so parent involvement is appropriate; but I will also be honest and admit that there are also plenty of times when I need to do a grown-up things and want my children to be occupied with their play).

My 5-year old and 8-year old play this game together and it is terrific. The game does not require any reading nor any other parent involvement, so it is a truly independent game for them to play. We play it non-competitively, so the idea is just to fill up as much of the board as possible. This helps to avoid upsets from one or the other winning, and they just work together in a strategizing way.
on August 15, 2015
Fun game for the whole family. My kids play this with my husband. The youngest is 7 and he needs a little guidance, but my 10 year old and teens play on their own. It's a good strategy game without a lot of complex rules. The games also can go pretty quickly, so if you need a quick between homework and bedtime game this may be just the one.
on May 24, 2016
Great game in a great package. The game is brilliant and a true brain burner. We play with our 6 year old son without a problem. The game does work best with 2 or 4 players, but can be played with 3 (as we do... 2 parents 1 child). The best part about the game is that there is no elimination of players and there is always a sense as a player that you are in a position to finish the game strong and possibly win. You are never out of the running. It's also a great tool to help children think multiple steps ahead and how saving that key piece can pay off in the end (for example: late in the game those tiny 1 and 2 square pieces are critical to bridging the board and opening new placement opportunities).

I rated this 4 out of 5 because there is one thing I think the game needs: inventory cards. There so many oddly shaped pieces that at the start of the game its not 100% clear if each color has all the parts. It would make sense to have an inventory card that you place all the pieces onto to ensure each game starts with all pieces. Also as you could possibly loose a piece it would be nice to easily take stock of the sets to know what piece to order.
on February 27, 2016
Love this game! It's particularly great because it only takes a few seconds to learn and other people can jump in to take someone's spot easily. (These features make it a great game to have out for family holidays!) We played it at several holiday events with kids who were 4&6 and adults who swapped in/out as needed. Because the rules are basically that you start in one corner and then place pieces so that they're touching corners of your own pieces (but where other pieces touch doesn't matter), it's very easy to include a new person in the game without a lot of discussion. My 4 year old might not have come up with a lot of in-depth strategies, but it's simple enough that he can play. My 6 year old won several games. Her strategy was to block at least one opponent out immediately. Seems effective. :) Note that this game does have some small-ish pieces so it might not be great for a family with very young children who might swallow or disappear the smaller pieces. Really fun for the rest of us though.