Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on November 4, 2009
I bought this for my daughter (2nd grade) and she loves it. Particularly, she likes the magic pen and light. She also likes to enjoy listening music by connecting her MP3 player to the journal. However, voice recognition function has been a problem from the beginning. It does not recognize my daughter's voice at all. It keeps giving error message instead of opening the cover. Once this happens, the journal must be reset by removing batteries. Overall, this journal is an interesting toy to play with, but don't expect this would function perfectly as the manufacturer claims.
0Comment55 of 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 5, 2009
Extremely frustrating. Would not record password, and we couldn't open the diary.

Manual is a joke. There is 4 times more information on the battery (disposal, replacement, don't mix old and new) than there is information on how to use the product.

There are no helpful explanations on problems and resolutions.

Keep looking for something else if you want the girl to be happy.
0Comment39 of 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 6, 2010
Do not buy this toy! Do not waste your time and money. Both of my daughters, ages 8 and 5, received these journals. It took forever to record the password. Then, once it was recorded, it would never open again. We finally followed the instructions to have no password recorded and just opened it with the button.

Both of my daughters were very excited to receive this, but ended up in tears of frustration because it did not work at all. I wish I would have read the reviews before we purchased these "toys".
0Comment28 of 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 6, 2010
After seeing a zillion commercials for this product, our 7 yr old decided she wanted to spend her saved allowance it. Instead, the Easter Bunny magically knew she wanted one and it was in her basket. That was the highlight, it quickly went downhill from there. First, it takes super batteries, not some that you bought a month ago and have on hand in the kitchen drawer. Next, as all the other reviews stated, the password recording is quirky to put it kindly. After getting past those issues, finally have it recorded, opening, etc, now the fun part of writing a secret message...only to find the "glow light" doesn't illuminate more than a fingernail width. Not even in a dark room! After 10 minutes of experimenting, she no longer could remember what she wrote. To say she was disappointed is the understatement of the year. I wish I had read the reviews first. I probably still would have purchased it but would have been prepared for the anger and sadness that ensued. Her only positive comment was the secret compartment under the writing the pad. That isn't worth $22
22 comments20 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 23, 2009
the reviews are correct.. But i still bought it for my daughter. We can't get it to accept her password and the one time that it did accept it, then she said it again the same way, and it wouldn't open. it keeps saying , error, enter password. We have not even been able to use this normally at all one time. I am returning it. Don't waste your money.. And yes, we followed the directions to a t.
on January 18, 2010
My daughter received this as a gift and she loves it. It is frustrating at first, but once you read the instructions it gets easier. It is most frustrating when the voice recognition is set on "high". In fact, it is almost impossible to get the thing to open with my daugher's fluctuating little-girl voice. But there is a way to set it to "low", and then it is less sensitive. You don't have to take out the batteries to reset it. There is a reset button that you can depress with a pin or nail; it's on the front in a small flower.

Overall, very fun with a good amount of parental help.
0Comment20 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 19, 2010
This is a terible toy to get your self or even any one.It dosint even open or close .My sister got this toy just a few weaks ago and she said her password (dog) over and over agan.And the next day we had to return it.I would not recomind this toy to anyone because you will prabille have to return it the next day.
on December 25, 2010
I'm eight years old, and I got a Password Journal for Christmas. Once we put batteries in it, it said something, but I couldn't understand what. We had to take the batteries in and out three times, and when it finally turned on, it wouldn't record my secret password. Eventually, it opened-somehow. Then, the light that shows my "secret" writing-or whatever it does-didn't show or hide anything! I was so frustrating that I started to cry. I don't recommend buying this toy, and they make you waste even more money by making you buy batteries if you don't have the right kind. If you buy this, you might end up making a little kid sad.
11 comment10 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 3, 2010
I bought this for my niece who is 9. And she absolutely loves it. Of course, I didn't know what she meant when she said it was 'kewl' but learned quickly that was a good thing! She loves that she doesn't have to keep track of a key and only has to remember her password. Plus, she said it looks 'kewl' sitting on her book shelf. perfect Christmas gift!
on December 30, 2009
My daughters loved the Password Journal; they couldn't put it down when they first tried it out. They love to take them along on trips. I was impressed as well as a parent.