5.0 out of 5 stars Same as Travel Blokus
Published on November 6, 2009 by Grammie

3.0 out of 5 stars Like the original Blokus -only playable
Blokus Duo is like a game of Go. Each player starts with one domino, 5 Tetris-like blocks (tetrominonos), a monomo (1x1 block), 2 trimonos, (1x3 block and an "L" block), and 12 tetraminos. Each player plays until 21 turns are done or there's no more moves. It's a game of Go, where each player tries to control the most territory. Each move is permanent, and changes the...
Published on January 11, 2012 by Michael

5.0 out of 5 stars Same as Travel Blokus, November 6, 2009
This review is from: Blokus Duo Game (Toy)
This Duo Blokus game is exactly the same as the Travel Blokus version. It has been apparently renamed to emphasize the fact that it is a two player version of the original four player Blokus game. However, the board and pieces are much smaller than Original Blokus. I have "travel" Blokus and it was my favorite game to play with my six year old granddaughter. I say "was" because my three year old grandson, who really enjoys fitting all of the pieces together anywhere on the board by himself (great for his spatial reasoning, as each piece is a different shape and can be placed on the board on either side), lost two of the purple pieces. Without all of the pieces, you can not play the game. I recently picked up the "Duo" Blokus to replace the travel version and it is exactly the same! I am thrilled to be able to play again with my granddaughter and now have extra pieces from the first one that I purchased. Fun, easy to learn game for two people, just don't lose any of the pieces!

5.0 out of 5 stars Blokus for 2 players! Awesome!, December 4, 2009
This review is from: Blokus Duo Game (Toy)
I owned all the blokus games, including the classic, the trigon version, and this one. If you want to give this game to a couple, this is the way to go. With the classic version, you can have 2 players if each player controls 2 sets of blokus. But this true 2-player version is a must for a couple who enjoy puzzle-themed games. I wish they make a standard sized version for this DUO version. Anyway, this is a great gift for a couple!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as fun as the original but still good, November 21, 2009
This review is from: Blokus Duo Game (Toy)
I can't put my finger on why, but I do not enjoy this two person version as much as I do the four person version of the game. Something about the one-on-one competition makes key strategic moves feel more like personal affronts that a well played piece. That said, starting from the center of the board is an interesting twist on a great game.

If you are new to Blokus and can turn up three other people to play go for the full size. If you are traveling or only have one other person to play against than the two person version is a great way to pass the time.

The shapes are much thinner than the full size game thus the four star quality rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful two player variant of Classic Blokus - best way for 2 to enjoy that I've found, July 19, 2010
This review is from: Blokus Duo Game (Toy)
There are a ton of variants for playing a normal game of Classic Blokus with only 2 players, but none of them have seemed entirely satsifactory for me. When I want to play Classic Blokus, I just need 4 players (or at least 3). My favorite method for 2-player Classic Blokus is to reduce the 20x20 square to 16x16 and then play opposite corners. It works well enough, but it's annoying to have extra squares you cannot use around the game board.

Blokus Duo solves a bunch of those problems. To start with, the board is only 14x14 instead of 20x20, so there is a lot less space to play with what appear to be the same number of pieces. As I said, I had been playing a 2-player version of Classic Blokus on a reduced 16x16 grid, so 14x14 makes it far more challenging. Also, having a real-grid with no "ignore" region makes the game much more fun.

Second, instead of starting in the corners, you start near the middle. Conflict starts almost immediately between the players. I found that strategy in Blokus Duo is much different than Classic Blokus, despite the nearly identical rules. In Classic Blokus, I almost always use up all my pieces (yeah, I'm that good). In Blokus Duo, I often find I'm just trying to have the fewest squares left as "going out" is very difficult.

In terms of quality, the game board is about the same gray plastic as the full Blokus gameboard. I greatly appreciate that they used 2 brand-new colors (orange and purple) instead of just copying 2 colors (blue, green, yellow, red) from the 4-player Classic Blokus game. With a house full of kids, I like that if I find a lost piece somewhere, I know which game it should go to. Also, the Blokus Duo pieces seem a little "beefier" than the Classic Blokus pieces. Same size, but heavier plastic. They make less of a satisfying "clink" sound together, but also feel stronger.

I imagine Blokus Duo would also travel a bit better, but it is not a "travel" game because the storage of the pieces is still in small plastic bags in the main cardboard box. In my mind, travel games require a clever way of storing all the pieces in a way that can be put into luggage, whereas Blokus Duo cannot.

If you are a fan of Classic Blokus, buying this game is really a no-brainer. It's a fun twist and best way for just 2 players to have fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Strategy Game, December 27, 2009
This review is from: Blokus Duo Game (Toy)
This is a good strategy game for 2 people. I was considering buying the full Blokus game and use 2 colors per person when playing with 2 people. I am glad that I purchased the Duo version instead.

One of the reasons why I think this game is so good is the number of options you have during game play. If one strategy did not work in the prior game, you adapt and utilize another strategy in the next game.

This game is well recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smaller than regular Blokus and for two players, September 7, 2010
This review is from: Blokus Duo Game (Toy)
Our family really enjoys regular Blokus at family gatherings and holidays. It's simple enough that anyone can figure out how to play fairly quickly, yet at the same time it is a game of skill. Sometimes only two people have wanted to play and it's a bit tough with the four player versions. So I bought this one to fill that gap.

I was going to be in the hospital for a week and I packed this in my bag, thinking it would be good entertainment for those visits. You know, the visitors who kind of sit in the hospital room and don't know what to say. Turns out I used the game several times and it was a great way to pass the time, yet took little of my energy. And the Nursing staff were interested in the game too and took it into their break room a few times.

I'd absolutely buy it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Learn and Enjoyable, July 6, 2010
This review is from: Blokus Duo Game (Toy)
I think the Blokus Duo Game is a lot of fun. The game requires you to manipulate the pieces in your mind (or on the board if you like) and to plan ahead in order to prevent your partner from placing their pieces. It is sort of like Tetris for two. I especially enjoyed the challenge of becoming familiar with the characteristics of the different pieces.

I have not played it with children, but I imagine it would be great fun, because it engages skill sets (spatial recognition and strategy) that all of us possess, without the need to learn complex rules.

Perhaps the only drawback to the game is that you must keep careful track of the pieces. You wouldn't want to lose any of them, or the game becomes worthless!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love Blockus!, August 9, 2009
Tracy (Virginia, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blokus Duo Game (Toy)
I am a big Blockus fan and I bought this game to play with my four year old son. It is played differently than the original game but is still a lot of fun. Blockus has become my favorite board game and this is a wonderful version for two people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun game!, November 28, 2010
This review is from: Blokus Duo Game (Toy)
This is one of those games that takes a minute to learn and a lifetime to master. Tons of fun and keeps you thinking. Love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great small game, December 15, 2011
This review is from: Blokus Duo Game (Toy)
The game itself is great, super easy to learn. My 7 year old picked it up quickly, and my 28 year old friend did as well. He and I have some excellent games. My only complaint is the size. I expected a little bit larger game. This is about 10x10" and not large. The construction seems solid and the pieces snap right down. But the size .... just a little bit bigger would of made this a 5 star review with me raving about how every game is different, and for the price, it's a great purchase

Blokus Duo Game